Post Thanks / Like

History Channel - Dirty Old Cars

I posted this over on sister site as well, anyone watch this new `reality` show?
    Taking very dirty vehicles and cleaning/polishing interior/exterior.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: History Channel - Dirty Old Cars

It`s a nice show. I think it`s more about the disaster details than the detailing process like the Show Car Ready show was.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see a tv show dedicated to detailing, but this show is as lame as can be. Having said that I`ve watched every episode

Post Thanks / Like

Charcol in the interior to get bad smells out, didn`t know that. Nice and easy if it does work for most smells. I will remember that one.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve watched it, but with my fingers over my eyes Eek! Heh heh.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s not a BAD show, I think they make restoring the `disasters` look a lot easier than they really are to do, but it`s an interesting time waster. Even my wife will `kind of` watch it with me.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t like it, but I fast forward thru them all to get to the paint rehab part! It`s too phony to me...
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    Charcol in the interior to get bad smells out, didn`t know that. Nice and easy if it does work for most smells. I will remember that one.

So, replace one smell with another smell....

I just find the source/s of the smell/s and remove All of It... Yes, it takes longer....Yes, it usually is ALL the carpeting-- even in the trunk/back, etc...

My Steamer loosens it all up with a great Cleaner, and the big Mytee Extractor 3-gallon return tank is always full to the top with Hot, Extracted, black/brown/water when I drain it... Look at all that dirt, etc., that came out of all the carpet...

But that is to be expected - this is what carpeting does - it traps and holds All that stuff down there until you clean it, rinse it, extract it all out, and dry it thoroughly..

Nothing replaces that Clean Car Smell except removing the bad smell source completely...

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post

I just find the source/s of the smell/s and remove All of It... Yes, it takes longer....Yes, it usually is ALL the carpeting-- even in the trunk/back, etc...

My Steamer loosens it all up with a great Cleaner, and the big Mytee Extractor 3-gallon return tank is always full to the top with Hot, Extracted, black/brown/water when I drain it... Look at all that dirt, etc., that came out of all the carpet...

But that is to be expected - this is what carpeting does - it traps and hold All that stuff down there until you clean it, rinse it, extract it all out, and dry it thoroughly..

Nothing replaces that Clean Car Smell except removing the bad smell source completely...

Dan F
    I have to agree ... without REMOVING the actual SOURCE of the odor, I can`t see how treating they SYMPTOMS would be a long-term fix. I`ve watched about 1/2 dozen of the episodes with my wife, and in a couple of them. if it was ME doing the clean-up, I would have replaced the carpeting/padding, cleaned the floorboards and called it a day.

The purists will scream that I`m destroying the "Originality" and `lowering the value,` by putting new carpeting in, but sometimes, there`s no way around it in order to do the job RIGHT.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post

But that is to be expected - this is what carpeting does - it traps and hold All that stuff down there until you clean it, rinse it, extract it all out, and dry it thoroughly..

Dan F
    I have to agree ... without REMOVING the actual SOURCE of the odor, I can`t see how treating they SYMPTOMS would be a long-term fix. I`ve watched about 1/2 dozen of the episodes with my wife, and in a couple of them. if it was ME doing the clean-up, I would have replaced the carpeting/padding, cleaned the floorboards and called it a day.

The purists will scream that I`m destroying the "Originality" and `lowering the value,` by putting new carpeting in, but sometimes, there`s no way around it in order to do the job RIGHT.

**Edited to Add** Especially on some of the OLDER cars they are working on, where the carpets ARE NOT rubber-backed and whatever "funk" got in there will have soaked in all the way to the floorboards.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Camaro

Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Thread Information