Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Led lights (flashlights)

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    One thing that drives me batty with folks putting LEDs in cars not made for them are the cars equipped with Bulb Monitoring that cause the LED`s (that aren`t currently on) to strobe each time the computer runs the bulb check. Since the LED`s require so little power to run, when the computer fires that trace voltage in the bulb circuit to make sure someone`s home, it lights the light at full intensity.

This is a separate issue from the things that they sell that plug in inline (or LED`s equipped with the circuitry) to trick the bulb warning into not setting a bulb out warning to the driver.

The result is those cars you follow driving down the road where all of a sudden their reverse lights start strobing at you, or whatever various light it may be (I see it all the time on daytime running lights on cars that come into the shop).

As technology progresses, I think I`ve finally seen things offered to combat that (I`m guessing it`s just a capacitor to suck up that little voltage flicker, paired with the resistor to fool the bulb check filament test), but the vast majority of folks are just buying that long river junk you mention.

Sorry, I`ll get off my soap box.

Flashlight wise, I`ve gone through a lot of offerings from the tool truck offerings - I`ve had a pile of different Streamlight, Coast, and LED Lenser options. I`m always looking for a good option that has strong output but still is shirt-front-pocketable.

My current daily driver is a pair of Streamlight MicroStream USB. I rotate them always having one on the charger - I`m probably actively using a flashlight at work in time measured by hours. 250 lumens, simple high/low operation. 2 lights also offers a back up if one has an issue. Been a good solid light.

One of the favorite lights I`ve had was an LED Lenser M3R - 220 lumens, focusable lens, < 4" long and 3/4" diameter at the thickest. Unfortunately I don`t think it was made for production use, so gradually the 2 I had quit working due to poor contacts inside (I had several batteries that would charge externally).
    I`ve debated joining the candlepower forum mentioned above to find someone to hire to go through them and see if they could be brought back to service...
    I joined the candle forum this year. I can assure you there are a number of folks on there that can either steer you how to fix any light you have, or do it for you. Much like every enthusiast forum of topic, alot of A+ knowledge members.

I do know what you talk about on the LED cons retrofitting some cars, thats why the bigger trusted brands are the go-to, they have it figured out way before hand. And in most cases a resistor in line does fix things, adds the lost resistance the low draw led`s give. I put them into an 80`s car, so there wasn`t a worry about all kinds of computer kinks, lol. I just needed the resistors to get my turn signals to actually blink properly. Interior led`s made a very nice modern look upgrade for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Led lights (flashlights)

Silly Rabbit- Hey, I really enjoyed reading how you helped that lost dog out! Good on you for that.

And yes indeed, we *would* go back to grab `em if we forgot our Tomahawks Even with the little ones we just leave in the coat pockets.
    Likes Silly Rabbit liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information