Post Thanks / Like

How Has Inflation and the Current Economy Affect Your Detailing??

I NOT trying to make this a political issue, but am trying to tie inflation to its effects on your Autopian detailing.
    This is kind of an extension of my started post from last year on detailing product shortages. Reference:
    The New Economy: Detailing Product & Equipment Shortages

Me, personally, it has with some exceptions. The continued product shortages and availability are more of a problem. That said, price increases in some products makes me start to look for "alternate" products that are less-expensive (AKA, cheaper) or are value-priced, OR waiting for my "regular" products to go on sale and buying 2 (or 3) for future use, rather than just one (like wash mitts or microfiber towels or applicator pads).

My bigger concern is new and used vehicle availability and price as well. I am wondering if you are seeing customers or family-and-friends who are coming to you with their older vehicle to be cleaned/detailed because they are keeping them for a while simply because they cannot afford a different vehicle or do not wish to spend that amount of money on a new-or-used vehicle in this present vehicle market. I am not sure if this is leading to more details for you Autopians. For myself, it means cleaning/detailing the now-getting-old, nickle-and-diming-me-in-repairs-but -it`s-still-cheaper-than-making-car-payments vehicle I own and drive. I would clean-and-detail it anyway, but wear-and-tear and the effects of driving it year-round in Wisconsin are taking its toll on its appearance (stone chips, parking lot door dings, salt rust/corrosion, scrapes from hauling objects). Sometimes it gets to the point, like, why bother. But when it`s all-that-you-have and will have for a while, I still try to take care it just to make it look somewhat presentable. Maybe it is a pride thing; maybe it`s just-to-make-it-last thing, maybe it`s just an enjoyable detailing hobby thing, OR a combination of all of those.
    Anyway, my point is, yes-and-no, inflation had affected my detailing. I will continue to detail as much as I can.
    GB detailer
    Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How Has Inflation and the Current Economy Affect Your Detailing??

Food prices are the biggest impact for me. Our grocery bills are almost double so that means being more frugal on other purchases. I’ve limited my purchases for things I don’t need but want to try.
    Likes dgage, CleanIt liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I let my products get used up first now before jumping on buying more right away now.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes dgage, Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I let my products get used up first now before jumping on buying more right away now.
    This is the biggest thing for me too. In all honesty I was working in this direction already before inflation started to take off. Too many duplicate items sitting on my shelf that I just need to use up. Example: I`ve got almost a half bottle of Perl I`m using up until it`s gone despite really wanting to get back to D 253.

Overall, not much has changed for me. I don`t go through products that quickly so I`m never buying more than a product or two each year to replenish something else I`ve used up. Even then, I wait for the big sales. Next year I`ll be due for another jug of Hyperwash and maybe some of wheel cleaner, but that might be it. With the family growing up, I`m now only maintaining two cars instead of 3~4 and products aren`t consumed at the same rate. About the only thing I see to be really consuming these days is bug remover. What`s with all of the bugs this late in the season? It`s worse now than late summer where I`m at.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes noorth, dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been conscious of not buying too much for a couple years. I still doubt i go through products like some of you guys.

I get satisfaction from using up a product frankly.

I really want to get my hands on some absolute however and maybe one of those sponges. I love RW.

Rupes UNO advance is something i will be trying next year i think too. I might just go with that and top it up with a spray sealant every few months. And i can just give the car a light polish whenever i feel like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ive been debt free besides my house for over 10 years now. The price increases are a minor inconvenience when you dont already live ABOVE your means. Take heed, this WILL happen again in the future. Once the market calms down everyone always goes back to living above their means and complains when they cant anymore. LOL LOL.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hasn’t impacted much but I cut my spending habits down severely a while ago so just order some fun stuff every now and then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Ive been debt free besides my house for over 10 years now. The price increases are a minor inconvenience when you dont already live ABOVE your means. Take heed, this WILL happen again in the future. Once the market calms down everyone always goes back to living above their means and complains when they cant anymore. LOL LOL.
    Good point dcjredline: if the government can spend more than it takes in, why can`t I as a citizen?
    Must be "the American dream".
    Until it turns into the nightmare everyone is facing.
    As far as food prices go, be happy you can still BUY food. When it becomes unavailable at ANY price, then we (America) has a bigger problem. Hope it never happens, but there are "impending signs" it could.
    Like less water where crops/vegetables are grown.
    GB detailer

Thread Information