Post Thanks / Like

1st time ever: SunShade

In all my years, never have had windshield tinted or used a sunshade....

New car. Wanted to try something new to maximize the issues with having a leather dash....(they all show problems at some point in time).
    Got the winshield tinted 70% and ordered a custom fit sunshade.
    Some light filters through the stitching of the sunshade and a slight-er generous cut where the mirror is

Between the combos, I`ve pulled the car out of the garage, let it sun for 4-5 hrs in peak sun to see.
    Yes, the dashboard is not piping hot. And while the tinted windshield helps, due to the glass still getting heat soaked - the sunshade *face* is still quite hit, But that heat doesn`t transfer to the dash.

Anyhow, just interesting.......and moving forward, I think all the cars will get the same combo on the front end - 70% tint and maybe a sunshade *depending if it`s a daily * or a garage queen.
    I`ve got 1 or 2 more ICE I want to add to the fleet before ICE sunsets off
    Likes Tc99m, 981 Cayman S, dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1st time ever: SunShade

Ceramic (heat-rejecting) tint I’m assuming. Pretty much the same conclusion that I came up with, any car of mine will get full ceramic tint treatment for its heat-rejecting properties. If I’m driving on a long stretch with the sun shining in the driver’s side, I can tell pretty quickly if i’m driving a car without ceramic tint.

Post Thanks / Like

In general, the benefits of HP *high performance* tint when driving is noticeable for sure.

In the application of same tint in a car parked in the sun, to some degree it helps. The cabin will get hot, just not blistering hot. The heat stops on the film level, but that means the glass absorbs all that heat. If the car is not -moving/driving-, that heat will need to shed, so that heat will still make it into the -cabin-. It just won`t do it as quick.....well, that`s my layman`s observation/conclusion.

With the sunshade though (no benchmark with sunshade alone and not a tinted windshield), the dash and front seats don`t get blistering hot...

Most cars *shouldn`t say most*, but many have PANO sunroofs. Which basically makes the rook like 70% glass these days....versus more metal/less glass. Alot of heat comes in through there too...
    So, tinting the sunroof was also something -new to me- for this experiment. I went 50% uptop. Did not want to go too dark for 2 reasons - consideration of sunroof shattering due to too much (heat rejection) and also in this car, it has -starlights-, so going too dark would negate the star illumination.

If we omit the tint, I do think the SunShade is a HUGE factor. And the foam core acts as thermal breaker as the heat doesn`t really transfer through foam.
    It is a bit annoying putting it into place (due to angle of approach, custom fit, tight tolerances) and accordion folding when not in use, but comes with the territory.

Do note, the ceramic is not heat rejecting per-se- aka, it doesn`t reflect. It just stops the heat on the film level. The glass gets *hotter*.
    Likes dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

One more datapoint...

Polarized Sunglasses looking our front. No issues

Polarized Sunglasses looking directly in the back, not issues.

If however, polarized, looking in rearview (as one does if one is a -good driver- ) consistently understanding the traffic behind you......it does have a strong color pattern. Diamond weave of green/red/yellow. It is quite annoying in this respect. It`s something to so with how the light hits it and the interaction of this combo.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your posts. I understand one of your goals is protecting the interior but it seems you are more concerned with how hot the cabin gets. I’m more focused on my arms or legs getting hot/baked while driving or in cars without ceramic tint. My car is kept outdoors but I don’t worry about my dash due to the ceramic tint even though it is an Acura and older TLs have definitely had dash issues. Interesting viewpoints.

Post Thanks / Like

Not a good test as is not like for like, but I took out our other car to use as a A/B test. It`s tinted with Llumar Formula1, sunroof not tinted and the Windshield DOES have stock tint between the glass.
    Also no Sunshade.

And in the same parked outside conditions, getting inside after sitting in the sun for 7hrs, the dash and seat is uncomfortably hot. I`ll chalk it up more to the sunshade on the other vehicle than anything else as a variable, but

Full Ceramic Tint on all Glass (include the pano sunroof that makes the roof like 70% glass and 30% metal), and sunshade does indeed make a difference in cabin temps sitting out getting sunsoaked.
    I was WRONG. Prior to ever using a SunShade, and add windshield tint and sunroof tinted, I was a huge proponent that a sun-soaked car is a sun-soaked car. It will just be hot
    I was indeed wrong after seeing the results !

Going back to post #4, any tint should help with the heat one get`s while driving and I`m not chalking the temp difference to just the tint - I`m fairly confident the sunshade plays a huge role.

Eh, too bad they don`t make sunshades for sunroofs.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Going back to post #4, any tint should help with the heat one get`s while driving and I`m not chalking the temp difference to just the tint - I`m fairly confident the sunshade plays a huge role.
    Thanks for sharing your A/B test as while not scientific I do agree it is a very good anecdotal test and informative.

I agreed with everything you said except for any tint helping while driving. I’ve been in cars with dark tint and they don’t even come close to the lighter ceramic tint on my car. But that is just anecdotal and I haven’t been in a position to actually test the difference.

Post Thanks / Like

No. You`re statement is correct. For example, new car comes rear doors with dye windows is like dark 16%....the rear dye is about 25% in color. Dark from the factory
    But it does nothing for heat. It`s just for privacy....

And yes, there is a huge difference between carbon 5% vs 70-80% Ceramic in terms of heat !

Thread Information