Post Thanks / Like

New Vehicle Telemetry and The Right to Repair Laws

While this topic is not really detailing-related, it is about new vehicles that may be bought and detailed, so I thought I would start a topic discussion on it.
    This subject comes from an article in WIRED magazine I read on-line about a state referendum that was voted upon in Massachusetts that has now become law that forces vehicle manufacturers to produce computer software for vehicle operation and diagnostics that is non-proprietary and can be accessed by anyone doing repair to a vehicle. It allows any repair shop or vehicle owner to access with special computer equipment used in diagnostics and repair for any modern vehicle having such sensor and computer-generated control data the right to retrieve and use that data for repair.
    The "problem" is that SO much vehicle information and personal data is now generated by vehicle electronics using on-board GPS and computer internet services, this information can be accessed, "mined", and sold by repair shops to interested third parties because of this law.
    In response, Massachusetts KIA and Subaru dealers no longer provide access to customer apps for their new vehicles, like remote start or smart-phone apps, much to the chagrin of both dealers and new vehicle owners. Dealers are stating they HAVE to do this to comply to this new right-to-repair law and avoid law suites about access to personal data because manufacturer`s have not written code or developed software that protects this information because it`s only Massachusetts that have this law.

I do know that vehicles generate a lot of data about a vehicle`s locations and how it is driven by a driver. This information can be collected by simple "jump drives" and is used by insurance companies as a way of proving safe driving habits and abilities to reward such drivers with reduced insurance rates in states that allow such business practices. I also know that police can access this data when a vehicle crash happens or if someone is killed involving vehicle accident, whether it be pedestrian or some other form of road-legal transportation that does not have data-gathering hardware/software and submitted in court as evidence for criminal prosecution and legal liability.

My point is this: at what point is your personal information "protected" in your vehicle and how much privacy have you given away about yourself as you drive or have your vehicle repaired that you are not even aware of?
    Is it even a concern of yours? It is to me, personally!!! It is something I was not even aware of until this article came out. What are your thoughts?

Related to this, on 2022 Toyota vehicles you must now PAY a monthly $5 access fee to use the key-fob remote start button. WHY? Because it`s tied in to the smart-phone app and EVERYBODY has a smart-phone and uses such vehicle apps. Technology Convenience has its price!
    GB detailer

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Vehicle Telemetry and The Right to Repair Laws

Well, guess I won`t buy a Toyota. This is a question of who owns the vehicle and the information. I guess the only way this will be resolved is through the courts. It may end up that in the end you`ll own nothing and like it.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: New Vehicle Telemetry and The Right to Repair Laws

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Well, guess I won`t buy a Toyota. This is a question of who owns the vehicle and the information. I guess the only way this will be resolved is through the courts. It may end up that in the end you`ll own nothing and like it.
    Toyota/Lexus would be the first brand I`d buy if I was worried about the security of my vehicle telemetry.

Thread Information