Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Autogeek/Autopia moving?

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    It says right in that M37 post that RME (Robert McKee Enterprises) owns the Autogeek building, but we knew that already.

This whole story kind of reminds me of one I read in a business magazine years ago, where a guy started some sort of office supply or office equipment company, built it up into a very successful business, sold it, then the new owners ran it into the ground, and he bought it back for 20% of what he sold it for, and proceeded to build it back up to what it was.

This of course is different, but I thought when Bob/Max sold PBMG he was going to retire...now it seems like 5 years later he may be back in the same place doing the same thing under a different name. Hopefully none of this is going to mean any changes to Autopia.
    Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I was under the impression Yancy`s new job was non-automotive related too.

As for the physical building moves, it all seems pretty logical. PBMG decides they are going to move, either through a lease not being renewed or because they want a new/better/different facility. RME needs a tenant to fill the space. Another business group under the same owner sees the vacancy as an opportunity to get a bigger/better facility, so they move in.
    Makes you wonder what`s up behind the scenes.

I remember a recent post of Mike`s in a thread where someone asked about chemical decontamination - he mentioned "I used to use iron remover, fallout removers before every wash. Then after Autogeek was sold to Vision Investments, out of the blue the fine print in the lease agreement that stated we could not wash cars outside started getting enforced, thus the reason you see me washing cars inside the garage, not outside."

I`ll just grab some popcorn and see what we learn.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as Autopia forum goes, this place couldn`t get much deader.
    Likes Coatings=crack, Old Pirate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Yes it could, it could be like the Optimum forum.
    Likes Cadfael liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder how many of us here came over from the old Autopia forum like I did.
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    Makes you wonder what`s up behind the scenes.

I remember a recent post of Mike`s in a thread where someone asked about chemical decontamination - he mentioned "I used to use iron remover, fallout removers before every wash. Then after Autogeek was sold to Vision Investments, out of the blue the fine print in the lease agreement that stated we could not wash cars outside started getting enforced, thus the reason you see me washing cars inside the garage, not outside."

I`ll just grab some popcorn and see what we learn.
    Makes me wonder if Bob was concerned with staining of the blacktop or concrete.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    I did.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    Um...isn`t this the old Autopia forum? I mean sure, this is a conglomeration of Detail City/Autopia Forums, Autopia.org, and Truth in Detailing...but it`s now/still Autopia.org...I mean it`s always been Autopia.org, the other forums got folded into this one.

EDIT...oh wait, maybe you`re right, maybe everything got folded into Autopia Forums, because my join date is from that, not my Autopia.org join date, which was 2004.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn`t most of the McKees, and PBMG stuff made by B+B blending in Denver?

Post Thanks / Like

What do you mean by "deader"???
    Is it the lack of car-care product manufacturer representatives/spoke`s person participation or the seemingly endless re-cycling of the same detailing topics over and over or my repetitious (Captain Obvious) questions, quotes, and links to very old (AKA obsolete or no-longer-pertinent) thread links??
    Just curious... inquiring detailing minds want to know (See what I mean, Captain Obvious!)
    GB detailer
    Likes Older, Bobh591 liked this post
    Thanks Older thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is AutoAutoGeek ownershipgeek/Autopia moving?

Last year? It was 2016.
    Yes it was. Here`s the press release of that business transaction.
    LAS VEGAS, NV--(Marketwired - November 02, 2016) - Vision Investments, LLC, is pleased to announce the acquisition of Palm Beach Motoring Group. PBMG stocks thousands of car care products on site from more than 150 companies including its own brands: Pinnacle Natural Brilliance, Pinnacle Black Label Collection, Wolfgang Concours Series, Speed Master, The Belt, BLACKFIRE, McKee`s 37, McKee`s RV, and Marine 31. The company provides quality products for distributors, detailing professionals and auto enthusiasts. PBMG has a family of websites including Autogeek.com and Autopia-carcare.com that are high transaction e-commerce sites and leading sources of instructional detailing guides, forums and videos.
    The new entity will operate under Palm Beach Motoring Group and is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Vision Investments. PBMG is a high growth company and has achieved great success in past years. Customers will continue to receive the same high quality products, excellent customer service and education which they have come to expect and value from PBMG.
    Vision Investments owner Tony George first met PBMG owner Bob McKee at the SEMA Show in 2009. Their relationship has further strengthened through the years including Autogeek`s involvement with Ed Carpenter Racing during the 2016 season. "I`ve admired Bob`s ability to grow the business and build strong relationships throughout the industry. He`s built a quality organization made up of proud brand ambassadors." The timing of the acquisition was strategic for both parties; Mr. George was looking to grow his auto-related portfolio (Vision is the exclusive US importer of the German SONAX car care brand), and Mr. McKee was looking to transition out of a business owner role.

Mr. McKee will remain in the industry focusing on the continued development of the McKee`s 37 and McKee`s RV brands. Terry Angstadt has been appointed Managing Consultant of PBMG. "I`m looking forward to the further development of this group of brands and activities," said Mr. Angstadt. "There is a strong and experienced team in place including Meghan Poirier, Jason Sierra, Mike Phillips and Nick Rutter. There are exciting things going on at PBMG -- including the second season of their television series `Competition Ready.`" Mr. Angstadt`s background includes tenures at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway as Vice President of Marketing and at INDYCAR as President of its commercial division. (End of press release)

Obviously, some business "things" have changed since then and are continuing to transpire before us.
    GB detailer

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    What do you mean by "deader"???
    Is it the lack of car-care product manufacturer representatives/spoke`s person participation or the seemingly endless re-cycling of the same detailing topics over and over or my repetitious (Captain Obvious) questions, quotes, and links to very old (AKA obsolete or no-longer-pertinent) thread links??
    Just curious... inquiring detailing minds want to know (See what I mean, Captain Obvious!)
    There was a time when you`d check Autopia and there would be hundreds of members logged on. Not any more. It`s busy if 5 threads here are updated. Product discussion and arguing were the norm. The who made what for who threads created a sense of drama and intrigue. All the fun is gone. Vision Investments has no vision for this forum.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a time when you`d check Autopia and there would be hundreds of members logged on. Not any more. It`s busy if 5 threads here are updated. Product discussion and arguing were the norm. The who made what for who threads created a sense of drama and intrigue. All the fun is gone. Vision Investments has no vision for this forum.
    Respectfully, "Vision" has nothing to do with the decline of this forum, or forums in general. Some of us gave up on this forum after David B sold it because of the IT mismanagement of the subsequent owners (some of us got nasty computer viruses from the forum), and because of the tone that was present during that ownership. Think of how many detailing forums there used to be, and how slow AGO is in comparison to what it once was, or MOL. All of these forums had slowed down well before the sale of PBMG.
    Likes re-tired liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Product discussion and arguing were the norm. The who made what for who threads created a sense of drama and intrigue. All the fun is gone.
    Maybe that is why the traffic is down because of that? I came here because of the quality and openness of the discussion and to specifically avoid all the drama and intrigue. If it devolves to that again, I`ll be gone.

While I would enjoy more activity/traffic here, I`ll always trade quality for quantity.

Forums as whole are in decline as people move to other platforms. I know of other forums which were generating massive amounts of traffic 10 years ago and ghost towns with only a few die hard members. Everyone seems to have moved to Reddit or Facebook. Sad, because if nothing else the way forums are organized makes it easier to manage information and topics vs a more chaotic, unstructured format of the other platforms.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes Oneheadlite, acuRAS82, mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Most forums I`m on have slowed down a lot over the past few years. Social media, etc. have seemed to have become and alternate avenue. I`m relatively new to this forum and I`m thoroughly enjoying the amount of information and dedication to the artform.
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Respectfully, "Vision" has nothing to do with the decline of this forum, or forums in general. Some of us gave up on this forum after David B sold it because of the IT mismanagement of the subsequent owners (some of us got nasty computer viruses from the forum), and because of the tone that was present during that ownership. Think of how many detailing forums there used to be, and how slow AGO is in comparison to what it once was, or MOL. All of these forums had slowed down well before the sale of PBMG.
    I wasn`t aware of the virus thing. I left for a while so I wasn`t affected. All forums are a bit slower due to facebook popularity.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information