Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Autogeek/Autopia moving?

I got an email from McKee’s 37 stating that they are moving back to the Autogeek building. They way it’s worded makes me think they are getting a lot more space than the current building. I know Bob McKee still owns the building. Just wondering what’s up.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Autogeek/Autopia moving?

Quote Originally Posted by 01GreyStangGT View Post
    I got an email from McKee’s 37 stating that they are moving back to the Autogeek building. They way it’s worded makes me think they are getting a lot more space than the current building. I know Bob McKee still owns the building. Just wondering what’s up.
    Yes. I saw a post from AG saying they are in the process of building a new building a few miles north of the current location so it looks like Mckee`s 37 will be moving into the AG building.

Post Thanks / Like

Off topic, but Mike Phillips is leaving Auto Geek.
    Likes Ron Ketcham liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Off topic, but Mike Phillips is leaving Auto Geek.
    not necessarily off-topic.....maybe Mike is going to work for McKees?

Post Thanks / Like

This is all crazy. I haven`t been on AGO for a couple years, thanks for posting this.

Of course, this could be more pre-ordained than it looks. Since the post mentions 5 years (has it really been that long?? Apparently so), it may be some of this was arranged at the time of the sale, since that seems like it could be a nominal lease or non-compete or employment contract interval.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    This is all crazy. I haven`t been on AGO for a couple years, thanks for posting this.

Of course, this could be more pre-ordained than it looks. Since the post mentions 5 years (has it really been that long?? Apparently so), it may be some of this was arranged at the time of the sale, since that seems like it could be a nominal lease or non-compete or employment contract interval.
    I had similar thoughts but not sure this was all "pre-ordained". Don`t think Yancy and Mike both leaving around the same time after 5 years of new ownership would be planned and
    non-competes start after employment ends. I guess we`ll just have to wait and see if, where and when Mike resurfaces.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonExelNA View Post
    I had similar thoughts but not sure this was all "pre-ordained". Don`t think Yancy and Mike both leaving around the same time after 5 years of new ownership would be planned and
    non-competes start after employment ends. I guess we`ll just have to wait and see if, where and when Mike resurfaces.
    Perhaps I worded that poorly. It could have been that a condition of sale was that Mike stay on for 5 years, or not go work doing something similar for 5 years, which would effectively keep him there for five years unless he wanted to go into a different line of work. Business sales frequently include agreements with key employees, in one direction or the other, and that could have included Yancy, also. Not like we`re going to find out, because I`m sure that was all NDA`d. I personally wouldn`t be surprised at all to see in the near future Mike still at home in the McKee`s 37 Showcar Garage, with Yancy taking videos of him.

Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps I worded that poorly. It could have been that a condition of sale was that Mike stay on for 5 years, or not go work doing something similar for 5 years, which would effectively keep him there for five years unless he wanted to go into a different line of work. Business sales frequently include agreements with key employees, in one direction or the other, and that could have included Yancy, also. Not like we`re going to find out, because I`m sure that was all NDA`d. I personally wouldn`t be surprised at all to see in the near future Mike still at home in the McKee`s 37 Showcar Garage, with Yancy taking videos of him.
    Understood and agree. Best case scenario for us fans and followers of Mike Phillips would be for him to rejoin BoB Mckee at McKee`s37. I do remember Mike wanting to do more TV but that didn`t seem to go anywhere after the sale.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds as if Autogeek moving has opened up a location for McKees. Maybe Bob owns the company that owns that particular lot and building.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Setec
    There probably has been a lease that has run out as well as a employee contract for the transition that has timed out. Five year leases are common in business property.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is AutoAutoGeek ownershipgeek/Autopia moving?

​AutoGeek has deep pockets since Tony George bought them last year. This could turn out to be interesting as he also has North American distributor rights for a couple of European product lines.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wannafbody View Post
    Sounds as if Autogeek moving has opened up a location for McKees. Maybe Bob owns the company that owns that particular lot and building.
    It says right in that M37 post that RME (Robert McKee Enterprises) owns the Autogeek building, but we knew that already.

This whole story kind of reminds me of one I read in a business magazine years ago, where a guy started some sort of office supply or office equipment company, built it up into a very successful business, sold it, then the new owners ran it into the ground, and he bought it back for 20% of what he sold it for, and proceeded to build it back up to what it was.

This of course is different, but I thought when Bob/Max sold PBMG he was going to retire...now it seems like 5 years later he may be back in the same place doing the same thing under a different name. Hopefully none of this is going to mean any changes to Autopia.
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is AutoAutoGeek ownershipgeek/Autopia moving?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post
    ​AutoGeek has deep pockets since Tony George bought them last year.
    Last year? It was 2016.

Post Thanks / Like

It`s my understanding that Yancy is heading to California to pursue a new adventure...
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I was under the impression Yancy`s new job was non-automotive related too.

As for the physical building moves, it all seems pretty logical. PBMG decides they are going to move, either through a lease not being renewed or because they want a new/better/different facility. RME needs a tenant to fill the space. Another business group under the same owner sees the vacancy as an opportunity to get a bigger/better facility, so they move in.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information