Post Thanks / Like

Wrapped Auto Edges

Some PPF installers xacto clean to the edge. Depending on film thickness, curvature, etc, some -wrap-, and others don`t and they know it will be a callback.

Fast forward 2-3 years later. I PPF`ed my snowblower. It was a 6/10 job at best. Pretty decent on the flats. Meh on stuff that had profile to them. Super Mild Winter last year so didn`t even use it. Anyhow, after todays brush up and a nice warm clean bath afterwards, I did spy some portions of my -wrapped- corners coming undone. It was a issue from day one and it was super thick film and I knew the bond was not perfect just due to the thickeness of the film if not the the thickness of the -wrapped corner-. Anyhow, there goes my Hot Tub Thread for the day . Happy Holidays gents
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs, dgage liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Wrapped Auto Edges

This is a first for me hearing about a snowblower being PPF`d!
    Likes dgage liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Some PPF installers xacto clean to the edge. Depending on film thickness, curvature, etc, some -wrap-, and others don`t and they know it will be a callback.

Fast forward 2-3 years later. I PPF`ed my snowblower. It was a 6/10 job at best. Pretty decent on the flats. Meh on stuff that had profile to them. Super Mild Winter last year so didn`t even use it. Anyhow, after todays brush up and a nice warm clean bath afterwards, I did spy some portions of my -wrapped- corners coming undone. It was a issue from day one and it was super thick film and I knew the bond was not perfect just due to the thickeness of the film if not the the thickness of the -wrapped corner-. Anyhow, there goes my Hot Tub Thread for the day . Happy Holidays gents

Hello, Amigo ! I hope you and yours are all doing good and safe !
    I think the ppf installers have a special glue they sometimes use on those wrapped edges that start to unwrap a little...
    When I was working at a really good ppf shop paint correcting all those new Teslas cars with major paint defects, they talked about a special glue they use sometimes, on vehicles that come back later with a little of what you have on your snowblower..
    Sometimes, if you just clean the unwrapped edge really good, then clean the unwrapped part of the ppf, keep it all wet, and stick it back down, it might hold again..
    Sometimes, using a little heat on it while you are sticking it down helps.. It will always adhere better if the both surfaces are clean..
    Good luck with this !
    Merry Christmas !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I posted this on I think BP1 PPF journey. How we freak out about washing technique, towels, fingers on the handles to close the door....well, you know the autopian mindset.

For those not familiar, you guys would freak out how PPF is installed Xacto on edges (sometimes knife cuts may be masked due to film), how hood wraps entail 3 guys with squegee blades squeezing with pretty hard force on the film, or a little technique is they actually take hot water from the boiler (if available) and then 1 guys flood the film from the boiler water and 2-3 guys are squeegeeing the hell out of the fill so it fits every shape and counter.

Re: the corners, yeah, they do have special -tack- things you can apply to them to help. I don`t think it could/would have for my situation, as the film I was using was pretty thick (aka, normally for headlights and not for paint).

Thread Information