Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weather

Post Thanks / Like

Weather

Last year here in NJ we kind of skated on winter, had a moderate snow storm in Nov. I think and not much after that.

We`re looking at 11-16" starting this afternoon, maybe a little more in the morning, according to the NWS. Hopefully it`s not going to be one of those winters where it does this every week and stays cold and never melts, and it`s piled up 4` high everywhere. It`s supposed to be cold next few days here, so no free lunch on this one melting fast.

I know this sounds like whining to you guys in Green Bay and Minnesota.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weather

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Last year here in NJ we kind of skated on winter, had a moderate snow storm in Nov. I think and not much after that.

We`re looking at 11-16" starting this afternoon, maybe a little more in the morning, according to the NWS. Hopefully it`s not going to be one of those winters where it does this every week and stays cold and never melts, and it`s piled up 4` high everywhere. It`s supposed to be cold next few days here, so no free lunch on this one melting fast.

I’m desperate for decent snow this year in Pittsburgh area. Would like to show my son some sledding and snow forts. But the totals we’re expecting from Gail keep dropping since last night.
    Likes Desertnate liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Not "whining", just jealous of those snowfall totals for this Nor`easter.A lot of business make their money from this "White gold", whether (pun intended!) it`s snow removal, skiing both XC and downhill, snowmobiling or lodges and restaurants that cater to those tourist/enthusiasts who engage in such activities.

I say snow removal because where else in the world do NFL football fans show up by the thousands to shovel out their stadium before a game after a major (more than 5") snowfall. Only in Green Bay WI at Lambeau Field! Yes, they get paid (I think it is $10.00 per hour). For many who are unemployed in the winter, this is their Christmas and bill-paying money, so it is a big-deal to those who need the work that is hard-to-find in the winter. Kind of a moot issue now with NO FANS IN THE STANDS due to the pandemic.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Weather

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Not "whining", just jealous of those snowfall totals for this Nor`easter.A lot of business make their money from this "White gold", whether (pun intended!) it`s snow removal, skiing both XC and downhill, snowmobiling or lodges and restaurants that cater to those tourist/enthusiasts who engage in such activities.

I say snow removal because where else in the world do NFL football fans show up by the thousands to shovel out their stadium before a game after a major (more than 5") snowfall. Only in Green Bay WI at Lambeau Field! Yes, they get paid (I think it is $10.00 per hour). For many who are unemployed in the winter, this is their Christmas and bill-paying money, so it is a big-deal to those who need the work that is hard-to-find in the winter. Kind of a moot issue now with NO FANS IN THE STANDS due to the pandemic.
    Buffalo has done this as well, paying $12 an hour a few years ago (was needed too often lately) and free tickets for ‘volunteer’ shovelers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    it is a big-deal to those who need the work that is hard-to-find in the winter.
    Well, just more (unpaid) work for me, trying to keep things clear and safe at home and at work. I feel like I can`t keep up now so this doesn`t help.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I’m desperate for decent snow this year in Pittsburgh area. Would like to show my son some sledding and snow forts. But the totals we’re expecting from Gail keep dropping since last night.
    Ohhhh....sledding! I wonder if I can still find that scar on my leg...

Post Thanks / Like

12" - 15" predicted for us. The weather people seem to be focused on this range, possibly a bit more in the jackpot zones.

Post Thanks / Like

Getting the big one as i type. Possibly 12" Trip to work is going to suck.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhhh....sledding! I wonder if I can still find that scar on my leg...
    Don`t laugh Setec: I almost got killed sledding! When I was 9-years old, my younger brother and I were "competing" with the neighbor kids who could go the fastest down my uncle`s ice-covered slightly inclined driveway across the road from my house. I was driving the sled (Red Arrow Racer?) and my younger brother was pushing behind. At the end of the driveway were lilac bushes and a large cedar tree next to the barnyard fence (my uncle was a dairy farmer on my Dad`s family farm they grew up on). My brother JUST happened to catch a car coming down the road out of the corner of his eye and he stopped pushing and rolled me over off the sled! I was madder than heck, until the neighbor kids went by and ran under the back gas tank of the oncoming car. The car tried to stop and when driver realized he could not, veered and lost control, hitting the cedar. The neighbor kid bumped and badly scratched his forehead on the gas tank near the rear bumper of the Blue and white `63 Oldsmobile Delta 88; that`s it. Could have been MUCH worse for the neighbor kid on the sled and his brother who was pushing. Lucky or guardian angel; you decide.

Years before that "incident" I was 5-years old when I went down a large, steep ice-covered hill on an aluminum metal coaster. (remember those things that looked like a large concave dish or flying saucer?) on a Saturday night just before Valentine`s Day. Needless to say, it was impossible to "steer" those things and you just went along for the ride; forwards, backwards, or sideways. I hit a bump at "high speed", rolled off face-first into the crusty ice-snow and cut my face up pretty badly. I do remember feeling the warm blood running down my face and seeing "red" in the car headlights that were being used to illuminate the hill and crying, "I`m bleeding".
    My Mom used snow to wash my face off and wrapped my head with her scarf as a makeshift bandage. It hurt even more when she took it off sometime later at church member`s house we had gathered at to eat hot chili and drink cocoa, as the blood had coagulated on it. My face looked pretty gruesome. When I went to school on Monday, my kindergarten teacher said my face looked like it was "decorated" with a red lace doily from a Valentine`s Day card. (THAT would explain a lot of things why you are as you are, Captain Obvious!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I miss coming in here to see how Ron would make jabs at you snow folks, in that kind heart way, then post a picture of his immaculate Vette next to palm trees.
    Likes Tc99m, Coleroad, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    I`m with you too. This winter has been tropical compared to last year. By this point last winter I was starting to seriously consider buying a snow blower. This year, we got our first snow last night and it didn`t even cover the grass!

What really ticks me off is my daughter and her husband who quite a ways south of us got 7~8 inches this week and my youngest who lives due west got snow at school in October. Here? Nothing but drab cold and gray skies.

Give me the snow and lots of it! I didn`t put winter tires on my car for no good reason!
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post
    Thanks acuRAS82 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Way on down here in Southern NJ we`re just getting the rain and wind....which I guess is okay too

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Getting the big one as i type. Possibly 12" Trip to work is going to suck.
    Hey, I drove to work on a Sunday night after the infamous Snow Bowl game on December 01, 1985 between the GB Packers and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
    That game saw 16" of snow and the highest ticketed fan "no-shows" for a Packer game (37,000 est) at Lambeau Field. Packers won 21-0 and the chartered flight for the Bucs was the ONLY flight to leave GB that day, with much angst by the flight crew.
    I was fortunate enough to have an `83 Subaru GL wagon that had an on-demand 2-range Hi-Low 4WD (otherwise it was Front-Wheel Drive) with a 4-speed manual transmission. I was not intending to go , but decided to take a "reconnaissance" drive to see how bad it really was. I made it about 3 miles from my house without getting stuck on county roads, to get out to the main State Highway 22, and then US 141 to head south to Green Bay. On the main highway I ran in 3rd gear on the 4-speed manual transmission in LO 4WD range all the way to Green Bay (about 20-30 MPH) and a tach that said 3,200 -3,800 RPM`s; high enough for a low-RPM running Subby H4 engine. It was 34-mile one-way total trip
    I saw several cars stuck on the side and only 6 cars or trucks actually moving, 2 of them being the State Patrol to respond to stranded motorist.
    I did get stuck in the company parking lot entrance because it was plowed shut (tried to bulldoze my way through; not a good idea with a small Subaru), only to find out that my night work shift had been canceled, but I was there, so I did my work as an engineering CAD Technician. One other person showed up. He walked to work from a near-by apartment complex. The next morning when my shift ended, some of the next shift of engineering office personnel did show up and were amazed I even came in. Had it not been for the Subaru with its on-demand 4WD, and my younger-day "stupidity" for a winter driving adventure and not wanting to miss a day of work and its pay, I would not have. (Another title for Captain Obvious: storyteller.)

Long-story short: find out BEFORE you leave if your work-place is even open. Now if you are a snow-plow driver, medical emergency personnel, fireman or police officer, TV media or national weather-service weatherperson, or US Postal Service Delivery Mail-person, that`s not applicable.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

LOL you guys sound like a bunch of wimps lol...I am sitting on my Lani drinking a Pina Colada yummy in sunny Fl...it was cold this morning 50*...LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maurofc70 View Post
    LOL you guys sound like a bunch of wimps lol...I am sitting on my Lani drinking a Pina Colada yummy in sunny Fl...it was cold this morning 50*...LOL
    Wimp.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information