Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weather

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weather

During the few decent snow falls in Pittsburgh the last few years, neighbors know me as ‘guy who shovels the driveway in Buffalo Bills t-shirt’. This is different than my spring through fall nickname: ‘guy who washes 1-3 cars daily’.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

We got roughly 8" overall between Wednesday afternoon into Thursday morning. It was a scheduled work night for me (9pm to 7am) so I went to work. I filled the truck up the night before (even though it had a little under 1/2 a tank which is plenty to get there and back, never can be too careful!) and loaded extra boots, gloves, etc. into it. Roads had been plowed once, but had a nice packed layer of snow, which actually I prefer over slush. I probably didn`t even need 4wd to get up the mountain, but hey I used it! It might be a little old, a little rusty underneath, but the Tacoma just trugged on like nothing! It was a tank, although I did have some sand bags in the rear for extra weight. Even though the truck seemed confident I still never went over 25-35mph. That`s where people screw up! I left way early so I had plenty of time, no need to rush. Don`t know why people can`t plan that. Still got to work an hour early; alot of my coworkers were surprised I was there. The one manager said "Well if Adam shows up, none of you have an excuse!" So apparently we`re gonna judge snowstorms by if I come to work or not

Also I found out nobody test out to see if their 4WD works before a snow storm. A coworker/friend bought an older Dodge Ram earlier on this year and found out that night that the electronic 4WD would not engage. I would think you woulda tested that out months before Winter, but I guess I`m an oddball? All fluids (engine, transfer case, front and rear diffs) in my truck get checked and replaced regularly. A bottle of synthetic gear oil is cheap and easy to do. People amaze me sometimes...
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we only wound up with 7" here. My only complaint is the town plow came by I think 3 times after I cleared my driveway to the street, so I had to keep going back and clearing it again.

Post Thanks / Like

I see in the newspaper that weather climatologist are trying to figure out if these Nor`esters will be more common or more sever due to Global Warming and Climate change. I will "argue" that weather is a cyclical patterned natural phenomena. Do humans and what they do have an effect on climate? Yes, to some degree (pun intended!). BUT, what weather cycle are we in and how long is that cycle?
    The Dust Bowl days and drought of the 1930`s, were they attributed to a Global Warming event? The Dust Bowl part was human-induced from poor farming and plowing techniques in the plains, but the lack of rain was a weather-related cyclical event.
    I do know from my almost 65-years of life on this earth in Wisconsin that we are, indeed, in a warming cycle. The number of animal and insects that have migrated north due to the warmer winter temps is an indication of that. We NEVER saw an opossum in Northeast Wisconsin as a kid in the late 50`s and 60`s. Now they proliferate the wildlife scene. Japanese lady bugs and emerald ash bores, while considered invasive, would have never survived the long stretches of days in the winter of sub-zero Fahrenheit temps that were so common EVERY winter.
    It was so cold, Lake Michigan almost froze over in the winter of 1977-78 and again in 1978-79.
    As a young kid, I remember snow banks along country roads up to the telephone wires (Land-line days only back then). Seems like we always had 4 or 5 days of no-school due to a snowstorm, and more than once being let out early so the school buses did not get stuck from an impending snow storm. Those were the days of 6 or more inches of snow. I should know because I had to shovel it; no snowblower in my family. I was the "Ahrens" snowblower. True story, I asked Santa for an aluminum shovel when I was almost 9-years old for Christmas in 1964. The picture of it still wrapped with me in a GB Packer sweatshirt (Lombardi glory days) holding it is part of a wall collage of pics of myself and my wife through the years before we knew each other.
    Needless to say, recent winters in Wisconsin seem to be more mild, and this El Nino year has brought unusually "warmer than normal" temps, even into December. I`ve cleaned two cars in 45°F outdoors recently, something I have never done this late in the year. A light snow last week is all but gone. It looks surreal for a Wisconsin landscape just before Christmas time.
    What I have also learned is how Mother-nature balances herself out. We will pay for this nice weather and no snow later, if not sooner (recent forecast says snow and cold will arrive Christmas eve!). It always happens. Like I said, weather is cyclical. You just have to understand which cycle you are in.
    GB detailer
    Likes wannafbody liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Reviving this weather thread, just cause.
    Snowing here, started lastnight and they say will end tomorrow late afternoon. When all done should be 40cm down. Now not complaining after what Buffalo got last month, just saying this snow is wet and HEAVY. Temp is around the 0 mark (32) so it produced a thick snow. Winter never goes as fast as the summer does...
    Likes 981 Cayman S liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    Winter never goes as fast as the summer does...
    Funny how that works, eh? January coming up…the most oppressive month of the year; absolutely nothing to get excited about in January Weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Likes Silly Rabbit liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 981 Cayman S View Post
    Funny how that works, eh? January coming up…the most oppressive month of the year; absolutely nothing to get excited about in January Weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    February is the shortest month by days, although not by a week or anything, but it has to be one of the looooongest to get through. And always cold and snowy. Work places have the most sick days and disgruntled people. People get `cabin fever` and get all agitated. lol, an older coworker used to tell me it was the month of the year workers had the most beefs with each other, said always had to get out of that February month.
    Likes 981 Cayman S, Dan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    We got roughly 8" overall between Wednesday afternoon into Thursday morning...
    Man, you *always* seem to really get the winter weather!

Also I found out nobody test out to see if their 4WD works before a snow storm. A coworker/friend bought an older Dodge Ram earlier on this year and found out that night that the electronic 4WD would not engage. I would think you woulda tested that out months before Winter, but I guess I`m an oddball?
    That`s a good reminder! That beater-Tahoe of mine helps me keep such stuff in mind...or rather *requires* that I do. When the switch-over hangs up, that vehicle doesn`t go very far until it gets sorted out.

Post Thanks / Like

Well with this latest storm coming it will be interesting to see how bad. They are saying parts of Ont are supposed to get up to 120+ km winds (75+ mph) with flash freeze and snow.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah this is a big storm coming with crazy cold temps. We`re getting in the low teens possibly single digits here which is unusual for December.

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Science is starting to figure out that the earth was warmer before the last ice age. Seem like climate is cyclical and driven by solar activity.

Post Thanks / Like

Plenty cold here, currently -6F with high winds. Not too much snow at least...

Post Thanks / Like

BRUTAL in PA! -25 Wind chills. Had to work Friday. -3 when I left, -7 on the trip home last night. Downright dangerous. Glad it`s over! I now have 10 days of vacation.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

40-50 mph winds in Pittsburgh yesterday and today.

Post Thanks / Like

My biggest concern in this recent (just before Christmas, 2022) large-scale eastern half of the USA Polar Vortex-and-Blizzard was (and is) the rolling electrical blackouts and natural gas emergencies (requests to limit usage by turning down heating furnace thermostats) done and issued, respectively, in some states. NEVER thought I would see that day in the United States of America!
    Any Autopians affected by either of these energy emergencies??

Also, if anyone knows how this cold weather affected vegetable and fruit crops in Florida, let us know. As if grocery prices are not bad enough as it is.

What is REALLY strange is that by Thursday of this week between Christmas and New Years we (Green Bay, WI) will be in the high-30`s low 40`s°F, so MAYBE I will get a rare late December opportunity to do a 2-bucket wash OUTSIDE to a vehicle of its salt-encrusted exterior!!!!
    GB detailer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information