Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone touched your Auto Interior Since March

today was the 1st time I had to have the car put into a parking lot - just due to my particular visiting location and zero metered parking within a humane distance...

Off to do a deep read like I did back in March. Back in March when I was reading up on what were the key ingredients in Lysol Spray, that was similar in some tub/tile cleaners and what not. What was the primary ingredients, cause, effect. It seems like March was a eternity but there was some
    I recently posted what said -disinfectants- are doing to my hard wearing surfaces on the house (solid brass mailbox with hand finish, door cameras and the peeling clear coat on it`s finish, etc).

Anyhow, when I went to pick up my car out of the lot, with gloves and mask in tow, I wiped the handles, steering wheel, etc with a Clorox wipe. which todays visit was a reminder that whether it be CV21, or CV22, there will still be times where I will need to put the car in a parking lot...and the ? of what effects does said disinfecting wipes do on the surfaces of the interior of the car. Is it a slow degrading effect but will be degrading, similar to what I have observed on the -hard surfaces- of the house

So, has any of you fellow detail heads done the homework. Can I skip a few chapters.
    Sure, wiping down the hard surfaces like the plastics and such should be okay.
    What about leather on the steering wheel or its effects on the coating of our seats

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Has anyone touched your Auto Interior Since March

Im no help. Im MUCH MUCH MUCH less scared of this "virus" than you are. I have been working 6 day weeks since June around 300 other people and about 7 wear a mask. I havent wiped ONE single hard surface anywhere in my life. When I go to friends houses or meet new people (buying a car with my daughter) I will ask them if they want masks and 1 of about 9 have said yes and the rest we shook hands when meeting and when I left. None of the 10 or so detailing customers have had a problem shaking hands either. Im not saying this virus is fake Im saying I just do see the HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE deal that is being made about it.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve only had a stranger drive my car once, and that was the Costco tire shop to install new tires. They actually fully covered my seat in plastic and had some a steering wheel cover as well. Nice touch, but they didn`t cover the shift lever and there is no accounting for the door handles etc.

I`ve taken a more personal defense posture. Rather than trying to wipe down every possible surface which could have been touched by others, or I could have touched with contaminated hands, I`m just constantly washing my hands or using sanitizer. Masks in close quarters populated areas is a given.

Fortunately the infection rate in our area is now down around 6%, so it`s much lower than in the Spring, so I`m comfortable with the current preventative measures.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

Post Thanks / Like

I actually cleaned my interior regularly since March, due to my vehicle being an escape from home, a joyride for my family and I. I regularly use my beater car to get the groceries or whatever else the family needs from outside, and I’ve been semi-regularly keeping all interiors clean and the door handles, front consoles, steering wheel and knob shifters sanitized with WG Interior Shampoo and/or sanitizing wipes. All this to make our joy-rides extra nice in a clean car.

As a person who dislikes cleaning interiors, I’ve probably made it more of a routine now more than ever, one that hopefully follow through with when things get fully back to normal.

Post Thanks / Like

We`ve had the A8 serviced, and it`s there again now as I post this.

Last time, we just let it sit for a few days, and we`ll probably just do that again this time.

Not that *THAT* would work for everybody..."leave it in a parking lot" for days?!? Don`t think so...

Post Thanks / Like

As far as sanitizing your car interior on a "regular" (IE, after going somewhere public) basis with household or commercial cleaner chemicals designed for that task, I would think that, yes, you will see interior material degradation and damage due more to the frequency of the cleaning. There was a thread topic discussion on the effects of alcohol-based hand sanitizers on the effects of leather-covered steering wheels and again, the consensus was the more you use hand sanitizer in the vehicle and grab the steering wheel soon after using it, the more likely the leather will be damaged. IE, another frequency issue.

Off topic, but related, anyone want to comment on the increase in numbers of confirmed cases of COVID-19. Better, more frequent testing or just more cases since we`ve opened schools, bars, restaurants, and churches?? Or is the virus mutating to something "new" and more easily spread by unknown transmission methods??
    Good indicator of this: The football GB Packers organization and businesses associated with it in the Titletown District no longer accept cash or coin money for payment transactions; only credit cards and cash must be swapped for pre-paid cards at no-fee terminals. Also, no fans allowed at home games in stadium until OK`d by CDC/health officials for this area (Northeast Wisconsin) no longer being a "Red Zone". Currently, we are one of or THE highest confirmed cases per 100,000 people population area/zones in the USA.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Off topic, but related, anyone want to comment on the increase in numbers of confirmed cases of COVID-19. Better, more frequent testing or just more cases since we`ve opened schools, bars, restaurants, and churches?? Or is the virus mutating to something "new" and more easily spread by unknown transmission methods??
    My wife supports the daily briefings provided by our County. They`ve been going on every day since March....

What she`s hearing from those briefings and the conversations outside the briefings is it`s a mixture of all the things you bring up. Large group gatherings like Church, funerals, and weddings are the number one contributer in our area. Bars and restaurants were a mixed bag depending on whether they did things right and kept people spread out. Schools being back in session have also brought up the numbers too.

I also think there is a growing trend of people giving up and not being careful like they once were. This is leading to higher number of cases and hospitals starting to fill up again.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m always amazed that somebody would touch a leather surface before hand sanitizer dries...what, can`t wait less-than-a-minute? I don`t get that...we`re talking permanent (and sometimes expensive-to-fix) damage. I`m even careful about printed graphics/etc. on switches as some inks are alcohol-soluble (not that I`d *expect* auto buttons/switches to be that fragile, but I don`t care to find out).

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I also think there is a growing trend of people giving up and not being careful like they once were. This is leading to higher number of cases and hospitals starting to fill up again.
    IMO it`s just another end-result of the continuing adolescentization of America. Long-term diligence and self-discipline?!? Nah....

Just got the A8 back from servicing this morning; it`s parked for the next couple days so I don`t have to bother doing anything.
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I posted a reply earlier. Deleted it. Did not want to get anywhere where it felt the thread would be political...this is autopia afterall, and not reddit

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    IMO it`s just another end-result of the continuing adolescentization of America. Long-term diligence and self-discipline?!? Nah....
    Very true. Wearing a soft cloth mask for the short periods of time when in close proximity to people is really not that big of a deal. Handwashing? If you weren`t already...yuck! Social distance? I wasn`t all that fond of people in the first place and a firm believer in "personal space"

People complain about it being hard to breath with the masks most people have and I just think back to speeding 12~14 hour shifts in full chem-warfare gear for days on end...in the Korean summer... It`s really not so bad! Plenty of jobs in this world where people work in hazardous conditions for long periods of time wearing FAR worse PPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    I posted a reply earlier. Deleted it. Did not want to get anywhere where it felt the thread would be political...this is autopia afterall, and not reddit
    Yes, I "edited" my initial post as well. As mentioned above, this IS a detailing-related forum; let us keep it that way. (You are a hypocrite, Captain Obvious..this forum IS your social media platform and you talk about all KINDS of non-detailing-related subjects) OK, you got me.

Another related COVID-19 question with respect to detailing: Has anyone noticed detailing car-care chemical or equipment shortages or unavailability??? OTC brick-and-mortar store/retailers seem to have "limited stock" on the shelves or long-lead-times on some items when asked about it? Just an observation....
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been cleaning tractor trailer cabs where the drivers have been diagnosed with Covid (some hospitalised) for 7 months. I take no safety precautions other then not to touch my face before thoroughly washing my hands.
    I`ve come to the scientific conclusion that this virus is spread through the air, not by contact. OR I`ve already had it and never knew it.
    Stop living in fear. Don`t let this virus control your life.

Post Thanks / Like

Plus your ruining your leather wiping with alcohol

Post Thanks / Like

AND your immunity system is going to be so weak this winter the common cold could take you out.
    Go eat a handful of dirt or something.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Im no help. Im MUCH MUCH MUCH less scared of this "virus" than you are. I have been working 6 day weeks since June around 300 other people and about 7 wear a mask. I havent wiped ONE single hard surface anywhere in my life. When I go to friends houses or meet new people (buying a car with my daughter) I will ask them if they want masks and 1 of about 9 have said yes and the rest we shook hands when meeting and when I left. None of the 10 or so detailing customers have had a problem shaking hands either. Im not saying this virus is fake Im saying I just do see the HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE deal that is being made about it.
    I`m pretty much in the same boat. I work in a building with 300+ people in it at a time, with around 1,000 total employees. Since the beginning it did make people wash their hands more and it definitely cut down drastically on the late winter/early spring common cold. Since I work in the maintenance department it`s usually 4-8 of us around each other at all times. There`s also no way in heck we were wearing a mask during the summer where inside temps were 95° to 100° at any given time. There has only been a couple confirmed cases, but that was early on. I`m sure the rest have been brushed under the rug. I did get a nasty cold a while back, and who knows it could have been Covid. Me and one other coworker on my shift had the same exact symptoms and timeline down to the "T". Notified management at the beginning of it, but they did not care one bit...

As far as vehicle care, I keep a tub of sanitizing wipes in there at all times. But I haven`t been super religious about it. Took my truck into the dealer for a transmission fluid replacement a while back and they wiped it down before and after.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information