Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Pre mixed 50:1 2-cycle fuel.

Have a newer homelite gas string trimmer. Been hard to start the last few uses. Figure i would try a can of the pre mixed fuel that was on sale at Lowes. My understanding that the ethanol in pump gas is murder in 2-cycle engines. Now you can off set this with special oil added to the gas. But wanted to see the difference, if any, of using pre mixed. I don`t have a lot of trimming. Maybe 10-15 min. worth. Filled the tank with the pre mixed. WOW!! It was like a different animal. Started with ease and ran better than new. Absolutely something to be said for pre mixed.

https://weingartz.com/expert-advice/...re-mixed-fuel/
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pre mixed 50:1 2-cycle fuel.

It’s expensive but well worth the money. It’s a huge difference between pump gas and pre mix. I have a local station that sells ethanol free fuel but it doesn’t work nearly as well. I would never use anything else in my 2 cycle equipment.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, in some very targeted applications, the E0 fuel is a big help. I use it exclusively in my little used equipment (chain saw and weed whacker) and I do my seasonal shutdowns with it in the snow blowers.

Post Thanks / Like

I started using it last year and its been great, no more running issues. I never had too much issues with E10 93 octane, but I think it was more my oil mixing habits that got me in trouble. I usually only go through a gallon a year, so not too much more out of pocket to go pre-mixed. I recently converted my fleet to Echo (besides my rarely used chainsaw) so I`ve been using their Red Armor fuel. No complaints. It will go bad eventually though. I hadn`t used my chainsaw in a couple years and decided to get it out and run it. Was running poorly and a quick sniff of the fuel reviled it was bad fuel.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE
    Likes tom p. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Noting that I go through countless gallons of 2-Cycle Mix every year (not just ten or twelve )...

Quote Originally Posted by tom p. View Post
    Yeah, in some very targeted applications, the E0 fuel is a big help. I use it exclusively in my little used equipment...
    Yeah, it can be useful when it`s (really) needed. I only have one piece of 2C equip that`s at all finicky about its fuel mix, but unless I`m diligent about running it dry the ethanol can lead to carb redos that cost a lot more than the (rather pricey) pre-mix. But in all the others, there`s just no need; they start/run fine even after many months of sitting with the fuel in `em.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been running no-ethanol premium in my lawn mower (Honda), snow blower (Honda), and trimmer (Stihl 2cyl) for years now. They all seem to like it.

I`d have to pay closer attention, but I probably only go through around 10 gallons a year. I figure for that small amount it`s worth it to me to not worry about the fuel. Haven`t had any fuel related issues since I switched. I didn`t really have many issues prior though.

Due to a lack of time/interest (in rebuilding it myself), I brought my Stihl trimmer to a local service center when I inherited it (it had sat for years). It`s been a champ and has been easy starting ever since - I think it`s been 6+ years now. I don`t do anything special for it at the end of the year.

For how little fuel it uses, I might pick up a can to try next time the gallon jug I mix from is empty.

Edit: I forgot to add - I also have taken to adding a small shot of RedLine S1 Fuel System Cleaner to the jug of fuel when I refill it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    Have a newer homelite gas string trimmer. Been hard to start the last few uses. Figure i would try a can of the pre mixed fuel that was on sale at Lowes. My understanding that the ethanol in pump gas is murder in 2-cycle engines. Now you can off set this with special oil added to the gas. But wanted to see the difference, if any, of using pre mixed. I don`t have a lot of trimming. Maybe 10-15 min. worth. Filled the tank with the pre mixed. WOW!! It was like a different animal. Started with ease and ran better than new. Absolutely something to be said for pre mixed.

https://weingartz.com/expert-advice/...re-mixed-fuel/
    Have a link for it at Lowes???
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s a link for the gallon: https://www.lowes.com/pd/TRUFUEL-110...uel/1001595828

Yes, I switched to the pre-mixed on my new combi 2-cycle and have not had any issues. Expensive for fuel but as noted, cheaper than a carb rebuild.
    Learning tips and tricks from fellow board members since 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I`d argue it`s significantly more expensive than just replacing a carb. I replaced the carb with a brand new one for like $35 on my lawn mower after putting it in storage for 3 years without draining the fuel. Ran like new. That being said, the equipment just runs better on the engineered fuel, so I use it. $20/gal is a little ridiculous imo

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been using 90 octane non ethanol for the last 10 years
    Get it from the marina. Not cheap
    $3.19 a gal. All 2 strokes I use stihl 2 cycle oil. 4 cycles I mix it with this. No problems ever

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.lowes.com/pd/TRUFUEL-32-...uel/1001574390

I got the smaller 32oz at $6 to try. Even that size would last me awhile.
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Boy do I miss my MTBE....
    Have not issues with 2 cycle mix. Nor do I use fuel stabilizer in anything...
    I just always cycle it dry . Winter Stuff get`s stuff drained in spring. Summer stuff get`s stuff drained by Thanksgiving day. Rinse and repeat and never leave fuel to hang around.

Post Thanks / Like

(MTBE) is Methyl tert-butyl ether is a flammable liquid that has been used as an additive for unleaded gasoline since the 1980s. MTBE increases octane and oxygen levels in gasoline and reduces pollution emissions , AKA tetra-ethyl lead substitute.
    Also the reason some gasoline in high-emission cities is more expensive than rural areas. I also think this the additive in "summer" gas, and yes, there is a difference between "summer" gas and "winter" gas. Lawn mowers do NOT run well on winter gas and may even experience vapor lock in the carburetor or be very hard to re-start in hot weather.

My wife`s cousins on her Mom`s side runs a small-engine dealership and service and they SWEAR by engineered fuels for small engines like chain saws, leaf blowers, and line trimmers. It prevents so many fuel system problems, especially for those small-engine tools that may not be used a regular basis.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

It`s been awhile since I`ve done the ##, and not from a economy standpoint. But the -power- delivery of MTBE fuel vs when Ethanol was introduced was definately noticeable in the same cars back when the transition period occured. I remember I loved driving over the -other state-, as they still had MTBE fuel and not corn fuel.

Post Thanks / Like

For that little bit of trimming DUMP that stinky PITA gas trimmer for an electric one. I did about 3 years ago and will NEVER MIX gas again. I have about 20-30 min of trimming and have no problem doing it on one battery. I currently use a Ryobi 40v but when this battery dies I will be buying a Dewalt 20v since the rest of my tools are Dewalt
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information