Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EGO Mowers

Post Thanks / Like

EGO Mowers

The Craftsman is getting some age. LOL. 21" self propelled. Always starts first pull. Put some money in it as of late. New wheels all around. I keep up on it.

Interested in the battery powered craze as of late. EGO has my attention. The 64v dual batt/self propelled looks nice. Reviews are very positive. Reads like a beast. I do believe that model would cut the 1/4 acre here no problem. Any one have one or any input on them? The idea of no more gas or oil reads great. The next string trimmer i get will also be battery powered, once the gas one gives up the ghost.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-21-IN-S...PWR/1003130742
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org

Post Thanks / Like

Re: EGO Mowers

That`s good news for Lowes. Home Depot dropped them. My neighbor, who tried them all and tossed the others out,......loves his EGO. He`s used it for many years now, the others barely lasted a season. His son in law works at Lowes and had tried all their previous offerings without success. He`ll be ticked that Lowes now carries them.

https://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/...equipment.html

Post Thanks / Like

I just used my battery powered string trimmer this morning. Although it`s easy to use, I don`t get the kind of professional results landscapers with gas powered ones do. Maybe they`ve improved battery powered trimmers since I got mine. I will buy another one,the kind that self feeds the line.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I had an early Black and Decker plug in string trimmer that was a joke. It took 45 minutes to do my lot. I went gas next and when that died I went 18V Milwaukee string trimmer. I like their 18V series and have a lot of their product. Bonus is having one recharger, wall mounted, that works on almost all my tools.... a few Ryobi`s in the mix.

The trimmer has all the gusto you need and I can chop off thick stuff by pulling the trigger harder.... I barely pull the trigger when trimming grass. It came with a 9AH battery which last for 3 trimmings for me. I purchased it in a kit with the hedge trimmer that is also assume. You tap the end on the ground to feed more string.

It has all the torque my gas did but, It`s quiet and I don`t smell like a 2 stroke when done.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

PA D -

Some advice..I have both gassers and 40V and 18V in battery OPE....
    Handheld tools like trimmers, hedge, etc - like any battery OPE tool, it`s great for a early Sunday - don`t wake up the neighbors- sorta deal. The only cavet IMO is that they are not comfortable to use as the balance of them with the battery is it`s drawback. The 40V blower is my go to for the cars for sure !

On the mower side, or just any battery platform, I kinda say walk into it knowing you may get a 4 year ROI before you may have to spend $$ for a battery that may cost your $100+ as a replacement. And on the same token, its a electric motor, and -sometimes- the brains of a brushless motor may fail, and repairing that outside of warranty may be costly. Not so much as in the part , which is still TBD, but the disassembly/breakdown of the tool in order to replace said part . And during the offseasons (when not in use), to also be mindful about keeping the battery at a proper SOC if you plan to leave it unattended between Nov-April.
    Hope this give you one POV to consider

Post Thanks / Like

$750? Sorry, but you can buy a Honda self propelled for $400 and have plenty left over for gas. Upkeep on a gas mower is not as bad as everybody says. A quart of oil can be had for $4 and will last 2 years (2 oil changes) in a push mower. An air filter and spark plug every couple of years is cheap as well. Replacing the batteries cannot be cheap. Maybe it`s because I have two yards tow mow, but I need something gas powered. It takes me almost an hour to do trimming sometimes, I`m not fumbling with changing batteries or possibly waiting on them to charge. My grass gets very thick, my small trimming push mower with an oldschool 3.5HP Briggs can struggle sometimes. Electric just wouldn`t have the oomph to do it.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

I could never go battery power on a 21" mower. I would spend all day mowing and would need 16 batteries. Now weed whacker on the other hand is nice. I am not much on trimming trees and for a few summers I didn`t trim at all. I can get close with the mower and just left it. 2 years ago I decided I had better get back to trimming. Well since that trimmer had sat for so long and, and it was old to begin with, the fuel lines had deteriorated so I ordered a kit to replace them. I put them on and had to clean the carb. It never really ran that good before and of course the time it sat I couldn`t get it to run good enough again to trim. Seeing as that I had enough with trying to get it running again I bought the economy B&D 40v Max trimmer/blower combo. I have a lot of trees and I can just about finish before running out of juice. Bad thing is batteries for it are around $100 so I bought a generic one for $40, well since I only trim twice a summer that generic battery lasted 3 uses and it won`t charge. With only one battery if I don`t doddle I can finish before it drains a battery. It is only a single line so it has a tiny vibration but not enough to make me stop using it. Love the auto feed, sure beats banging the trimmer on the ground trying to get it to feed.

I also bought their 40v Max battery powered 12" chainsaw for cleaning up storm damage and it sat for 2 years and finally used it a couple months ago when high winds took down some huge oak trees branches. I was totally impressed at how well it cut up 8" oak branches. No earplugs needed and was surprised how much I cut up before the battery died.

My only regret is being cheap and should have bought an upper level trimmer instead of the cheapest one, but it works great for how much I need it. For those who considering battery power trimmers I highly recommend them since there is no more mixing gas and oil to run them.

Now my thoughts of any else battery powered it isn`t all that much more environmentally friendly than gas. Just read up on what it takes to make batteries and then think of what it takes to generate the electricity to charge those batteries plus the hazards of disposing old/bad batteries.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Love my Milwaukee M18 String Trimmer and M18 Leaf Blower, perfect for home-gaming. I would love to pick up the Ego products, but there is something about using a gas mower that I cannot get rid of. Maybe it is the steel mower deck, maybe it is the price, maybe it is the longevity, maybe it is the fact that it is easier and less expensive to splash and dash with gas than it is to buy multiple batteries.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot wait to get the hedge trimmer, extender, and tree trimmer attachments for my M18 yard tools. The 12.0Ah would be a nice upgrade over my current 9.0Ah, even though I can accomplish everything needed for front and backyards with the 9.0Ah. Have you tried ECHO`s Black Diamond Trimmer Line? I find that it allows me to drop the speed on the string trimmer, conserve battery, and still do the job quickly. The line can be a little finicky to come out, some times, but entirely worth it, IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PA DETAILER View Post
    The Craftsman is getting some age. LOL. 21" self propelled. Always starts first pull. Put some money in it as of late. New wheels all around. I keep up on it.

Interested in the battery powered craze as of late. EGO has my attention. The 64v dual batt/self propelled looks nice. Reviews are very positive. Reads like a beast. I do believe that model would cut the 1/4 acre here no problem. Any one have one or any input on them? The idea of no more gas or oil reads great. The next string trimmer i get will also be battery powered, once the gas one gives up the ghost.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-21-IN-S...PWR/1003130742
    I have the 7.5ah, single blade one that was $499
    Absolutely love it! Even coated it in dlux.

I couldn`t justify the price of the higher end model but I`m sure it`s even better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, this is probably another of my, uhm...bad responses but I`d expect the Craftsman gas one to just last forever, and I`d just keep using that. Plenty of lawnmowers last for decades; my s-p Deere (OK, it`s a commercial model, but still..) is over 30yo and I don`t even think of it as broken-in yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Even if I only get ten years out of a push mower I`m still happy. I got rid of my last one because the self propulsion system broke.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I switched from a Honda self propelled, a gas blower, and string trimmer to having everything Greenworks 60V. Steel deck, easy to adjust height, and the mower holds two batteries. Storing the mower upright against the wall saves space. I can get through my entire 1/4 acre with a 5ah and about half a 2.5ah when the grass is tall. A mid summer cut will take about 3/4 of the 5ah only. I get the people that have larger yards or really thick grass who need a gas mower. Having the same batteries for all the tools makes things easy. Everything is quiet, and not smelling like gas is bonus.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Ryobi 18v 16inch that I have used for 4 or 5 years. The first 2 years was for my half acre lot. Thick Bermuda but flat lot. It would take 4 (4.0 Ah) batteries to complete the yard. The last few years have been for small trim work. My new house has an acre to cut. I also own a 17 year old Yard Machine riding mower. When it kicks the bucket. I will most likely be getting a Ryobi electric riding mower.

My research on cost analysis Between gas and electric. Has led me to believe they are almost a wash. Electric is more upfront. Gas cost more to maintain and fuel. ( Belts, plugs, oil, gas, time etc. )Assuming no catastrophic problems. And adding in the cost to replace batteries at 5 years. I believe the overall cost is equal.

I have decided the low maintenance is the deciding factor for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Forget EGO, I went with Snapper (Briggs and Straton) 82V system, it has been friggin awesome. I got the 21 mower 2 years ago with two batteries for 485 shipped on a Black Friday deal. Now I have the Blower, Trimmer, Hedger and tiller. It`s beyond powerful, beats out most gas models but then again the batteries are not cheap and with 82V system I can see why.
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information