Post Thanks / Like

LED hanging shop light wiring

We are learning very quickly that our unfinished portion of the basement in our new house does not have enough lighting. My local harbor freight has 4ft LED hanging shop lights that I want to pick up and hang. Can you wire the hanging shop lights to run off a wall switch instead of the pull cord they come with?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: LED hanging shop light wiring

Unless the pull cord is more of a soft switch, which I doubt is I don`t see why you couldn`t. Wouldn`t be much different than having a ceiling fan whether it be the fan motor or light kit built in and never touching the cord but controlling it via a remote or switch on the wall.

I have a bunch of Hue lights and one of the issues with using them is that you really need to have the power running to them full time to take advantage of them. If you`ve got them on a typical light switch they`re essentially offline to the home automation gear if the switch is off.

Do you need assistance on how to wire it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gorram View Post
    Unless the pull cord is more of a soft switch, which I doubt is I don`t see why you couldn`t. Wouldn`t be much different than having a ceiling fan whether it be the fan motor or light kit built in and never touching the cord but controlling it via a remote or switch on the wall.

I have a bunch of Hue lights and one of the issues with using them is that you really need to have the power running to them full time to take advantage of them. If you`ve got them on a typical light switch they`re essentially offline to the home automation gear if the switch is off.

Do you need assistance on how to wire it?
    Well maybe. I haven`t bought them yet. I just found a 4 pack on the Zon for a better price. So I might buy them

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I put a ton of these in my garage. There`s not an inch of space that is not illuminated.

Yes you can wire then to a switch. No problem at all. The ones I have can also be daisy chained to each other.

Look out for two things.

1) These LEDs flicker. I don`t notice it with my eyes but you can see it in cars backup camera. I`ve read this might cause some fatigue overtime. Well working in the garage causes fatigue so I can`t say I notice it.

2) Some of the units buzz/rattle. Makes no sense to me. I can tap them with a stick and they might stop. I have them direct ceiling mounted and also hanging. Some in each type of location can/will do it but not always.

If I were to do over I`d do more research before buying again. But the price was right at the time and I have a very bright garage now.

Post Thanks / Like

If you know basic home wiring it`s real simple. All you have to do is have the outlets the lights are being plugged into switched.
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Thread Information