Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Visitor to garage today!

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack
    People who like snakes say ..["I don`t get it"].. about Dogs....
    My wife and I only like dogs that exhibit higher-level anthropomorphic personality/intellectual traits, those that don`t are...boring and of no interest to us.

Q for anybody who knows: Do snakes exhibit those personality traits? IIRC, and I have little confidence that I do hence the Q, they simply don`t have the brain parts that do that. I`ve never had snakes, but I did have plenty of lizards/amphibians, and while some were surprisingly smart, none of those ever displayed the higher brain functions that determine human-like personalities.
    Likes mumps liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Having kept a number of species over the last 40+ years, I can say that there are different levels of personality/intelligence in reptiles, even among the same Genera (eg. pythons). While intelligence is, in my book, a difficult thing to measure, we can certainly agree on some things: all animals, in some way, have a degree of intelligence. A baby Garter snake, for instance, just born and in the field without any guidance from a parental figure, has way more chance of survival than a newborn human put in the same situation. But I can go on for hours.
    I can tell you this - from my experience, the most intelligent reptiles are:
    1. Crocodilians - I have raised an American alligator from 6" to almost 6 feet. She now resides in a protected area.
    2. Monitor lizards (Varanids) - These include the Komodo dragon. I have raised numerous species and they are indeed quite intelligent (for example learning and remembering how to open a door).
    3. Tegu lizards - Also quite intelligent, trusting and I would say fond of their keepers.
    4. Large pythons - I say large because you can actually read their expressions; the smaller ones are nowhere near as readable (or interesting) IMO.

After this they kind of dwindle, though Garter snakes are amazingly intelligent as well. Too many species to keep them all!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    ive never really understood the appeal of pet snakes but woah! That thing is huge!
    Like a friend of mine once said "If it can`t kill you, where`s the fun in that?"

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

mumps- Thanks *so much* for the informed response to my Q!

I`d *completely* forgotten about how Crocs/Monitors can be..(OK, now the nature show info is slowing coming back to me..), and I sure never knew about the Pythons let alone the Garters, which I`ll now appreciate even more.

And that was really interesting about the Tegus, enough so that I now plan to read a bit about `em.

Thanks again, helped me understand what folks see in having them as pets, well..beyond the "I`m special because I like something different" aspect of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    mumps- Thanks *so much* for the informed response to my Q!

I`d *completely* forgotten about how Crocs/Monitors can be..(OK, now the nature show info is slowing coming back to me..), and I sure never knew about the Pythons let alone the Garters, which I`ll now appreciate even more.

And that was really interesting about the Tegus, enough so that I now plan to read a bit about `em.

Thanks again, helped me understand what folks see in having them as pets, well..beyond the "I`m special because I like something different" aspect of it.
    Awesome! I`m also somewhat picky with dog breeds. We had a Bullmastiff growing up and I`ve always liked the larger breeds because of it.

The tegus are indeed awesome! We had a large male, oddly named "Mumps" because of his large muscular jowls. I took him around the backyard on two or three occasions while he was tethered to a harness. He would approach the fence, and I would gently tug him away saying "Nooo". Same when he approached the pond or under the deck. I then gave him free roam (no harness) and a gentle "Nooo" would make him move away from the fence, pond or deck. In fact, with the whole yard at his disposal, he would regularly approach me in my chair, tug at my legs, wanting up. Awesome I tell you!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

mumps- Ah, that`s just SOOOO cool about Mumps! Never woulda thunk it...I swear I learn *something* new here all the time.

And I hear you on the dog breeds; my wife and I have been all about Beaucerons for years now, primarily because of their unique personalities.

Post Thanks / Like

mumps- Ah, that`s just SOOOO cool about Mumps! Never woulda thunk it...I swear I learn *something* new here all the time.

And I hear you on the dog breeds; my wife and I have been all about Beaucerons for years now, primarily because of their unique personalities.
    I`m not familiar with those (at least I don`t think).... Google here I come!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

Ooooh! Very Rottweiler-ish! At least in appearance. Now I`ve got some reading to do!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like

... but I did have plenty of lizards/amphibians, and while some were surprisingly smart, none of those ever displayed the higher brain functions that determine human-like personalities.
    I need to start hangin` around different people. I`m convinced a turtle could out-think half the folks I run into each day. Visitor to garage today! And I`d guess all the folks who run into me each day think the same thing Visitor to garage today!

Post Thanks / Like

^^^^LOL Budget!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I only like dogs that exhibit higher-level anthropomorphic personality/intellectual traits, those that don`t are...boring and of no interest to us.

Q for anybody who knows: Do snakes exhibit those personality traits? IIRC, and I have little confidence that I do hence the Q, they simply don`t have the brain parts that do that. I`ve never had snakes, but I did have plenty of lizards/amphibians, and while some were surprisingly smart, none of those ever displayed the higher brain functions that determine human-like personalities.
    Well that’s the reason YOU own dogs. Some people love when their dogs are dumb as door nails and like to snuggle.

Some people enjoy snakes to feed them. Some like that people are scared of them. Some people just enjoy the simplicity of a snake.

Some people eat snakes or dog and would wonder why you have food as pets but have a pet wombat. Everyone wants a pet for their own reasons.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mumps, maybe you can help with some snake identification. We saw this one at a local park a while back. The phone camera didn`t capture the colors too well, but it was really cool how it was a darker color toward the head and faded to kind of a copper color toward the back. It was a big one, the rest of the tail was actually still hidden under the walkway we were on.

Visitor to garage today!-snake.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Liz@Autopia View Post
    Hey Mumps, maybe you can help with some snake identification. We saw this one at a local park a while back. The phone camera didn`t capture the colors too well, but it was really cool how it was a darker color toward the head and faded to kind of a copper color toward the back. It was a big one, the rest of the tail was actually still hidden under the walkway we were on.

Visitor to garage today!-snake.jpg

Hi Liz,
    That looks to me like an Eastern Coachwhip (Masticophis flagellum flagellum). A harmless colubrid.

Chris
    Thanks Liz@Autopia thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mumps View Post
    Ooooh! Very Rottweiler-ish! At least in appearance. Now I`ve got some reading to do!

Chris
    You`ll find that opinions vary regarding which came first, both date to the Middle Ages. The Beauc is where Dr. Doberman`s concoction got its coloring

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack
    Well that’s the reason YOU own dogs. Some people love when their dogs are dumb as door nails and like to snuggle.
    Oh, absolutely! Like...90% of the people we know!

Some people enjoy snakes to feed them.
    Heh heh, lots of, uhm..."snake food".. is in that "so cute we`d hate to watch it die" category. Yeah, I know..

Everyone wants a pet for their own reasons.....
    Yep, and plenty of other-pet owners are every bit as serious about `em as we are about the dogs. Heh heh, I grew up thinking that households with birds/rodents/raccoons/you-name-it were the normal ones (my Uncle and Aunt owned a pet store and had a real menagerie..all but the horses/donkey were in the house too).

Guys I know with tropical fish go through routines that make my head spin!
    Quote Originally Posted by budgetPlan1
    I need to start hangin` around different people.
    Heh heh, oh just get me going on how we think [so many individuals] compare to our dogs

Post Thanks / Like

You`ll find that opinions vary regarding which came first, both date to the Middle Ages. The Beauc is where Dr. Doberman`s concoction got its coloring

Oh, absolutely! Like...90% of the people we know!

Heh heh, lots of, uhm..."snake food".. is in that "so cute we`d hate to watch it die" category. Yeah, I know..

Yep, and plenty of other-pet owners are every bit as serious about `em as we are about the dogs. Heh heh, I grew up thinking that households with birds/rodents/raccoons/you-name-it were the normal ones (my Uncle and Aunt owned a pet store and had a real menagerie..all but the horses/donkey were in the house too).

Guys I know with tropical fish go through routines that make my head spin!

Heh heh, oh just get me going on how we think [so many individuals] compare to our dogs
    Im not sure if you ever said but what kind of dogs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information