Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

PSA -Stay on Top of your Health

I`ll keep this brief but its very important that I share this because it shocked my family this week. I`ll bet most of us know more about our vehicles LSP health than our own health.

Last Sunday my younger brother (48 yo) was at the gym and on the treadmill doing his usual 45 minute walk/run combo. Felt rather winded so got off early.

While changing clothes he felt like he had indigestion and went to CVS to get some antacids.

It got worse so he went to urgent care who sent to to the local Heart Hospital ER.

He was admitted Sunday Night and Monday after a Angiogram was scheduled for triple by pass open heart surgery.

His widow-maker artery was 90% blocked and the other two were significantly clogged. The Dr`s cannot believe the lack of symptoms.

There is a CT Calcium Score test that can be performed to check for this, it is a radiological non invasive test we should all get every few years.

My Brother was very lucks, Dr said he was Hours, days or weeks away from a catastrophic event. We have no recent family history but I`m getting this test.

He is home recovering and should be as good as new in 6-8 weeks,
    Likes Tc99m, Stokdgs, trashmanssd, 340mopars liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs, acuRAS82, trashmanssd, Loach thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PSA -Stay on Top of your Health

I had a CT calcium score just a few months ago. Here is some background, I am 47 and a non smoker. I am a former collegiate athlete. I played soccer and did my fair share of running. My personnel best was a 5:08 mile. Many injuries later and I am over weight, but happy and pain free.

Decided to get a test since I work in Cardiology. My score was 120. Not the best numbers. Anything over 100 is considered abnormal. 120 is considered on the low to moderate side. Treatment is diet, statins and exercise. The only family History I have, is one uncle who had triple bypass. But he is also a smoker.

A Score of over 300 is very high to severe heart risk.

Test is simple and takes all of 10mins.

I paid out of pocket because it was cheaper than filling with my insurance and it cost me a total of $100.00
    Thanks trashmanssd, rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Glad your brother made it through that. Maybe time to go to church.
    Likes GearHead_1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

JSFM35X- So glad to hear your brother came through that OK and is going to be all right. Yikes, 48 is awfully young for that...

And thanks for reminding us that this whole Car Wax thing isn`t *really* on of Life`s Big Priorities, not even in the running compared to Health and Fitness.
    Thanks KBsToy thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Agree 100% with Accumulator on this. What a stark reminder. Very glad to hear it was caught in time! Thank you the post

Post Thanks / Like

JSFM35X- Did your brother display elevated Triglyceride/LDL numbers? I can understand people not generally getting the CT test, but would`ve expected *some kind* of red flag given the extent of his blockage...

Post Thanks / Like

Had physical in November. BP slightly elevated and Eco Cardiogram slightly irregular. Dr suggested he cone back in 2 weeks to double check. He went back in December and it was slightly off again. Not by much. ldl 215 no meds.

Dr made appointment to see cardiologist who saw him and scheduled a thallium stress test. He ended up having open heart surgery the day his stress test was scheduled for. Crazy. That test could have been tragic.

Get the CT calcium score everyone. It could save your life and your family a lot of grief.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    JSFM35X- Did your brother display elevated Triglyceride/LDL numbers? I can understand people not generally getting the CT test, but would`ve expected *some kind* of red flag given the extent of his blockage...

Post Thanks / Like

I’ll have a physical in March. I’m going to start asking the doctor what all these tests and their values mean.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JSFM35X View Post
    Had physical in November... ldl 215 no meds..
    Goodness, unless that`s a typo...well, gee

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I’ll have a physical in March. I’m going to start asking the doctor what all these tests and their values mean.
    I`d do your own research first, you might find that you`re educating the Doc instead of the other way around

And I`d do it before your bloodwork so *you* can tell *them* what to include.

And yeah, I`m serious. This stuff isn`t rocket science and/but a whole lot of General Practitioners, even good ones, just don`t know everything you might expect, at least not the most recently determined info. (I`d sure expect a *Cardiologist* to know, but I`d want a good knowledge base anyhow.)

Post Thanks / Like

How was the outcome of your brothers surgery?

Post Thanks / Like

Holy cow Jeff. I am praying for a speedy recovery for your brother.

Your definitely right about staying on top of it. My mom found out over the summer she had aortic stenosis and that eventually she was going to need a valve replacement. But wasn`t serious enough to warrant action. At least that`s what they thought

Unfortunately I think it was more serious as that was one of the contributing factors in her passing.
    IGL Authorized Coating/Kenzo Installer

Final Inspection Auto detailing- https://www.facebook.com/FinalInspection?_rdr=p

Post Thanks / Like

Do not forget to stay on top of your dental health!! Critical!!

Post Thanks / Like

Yes! I quit soda and severely limit sweets after getting eight cavities and a crown. Not fun!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Bill D was just telling me that they don`t fluoridate the water in his part of FLA, which was news to me.

(My wife and I are pretty fanatical about our Dental Health; I even do a light daily scaling along with all the brushing/flossing.)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information