Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Health & Fitness Thread

jrock645- Could you please school me on the DEXA scan? Gee....the things I don`t know!

Two more weeks huh? I bet you`kk *really* be ready by then, watch you don`t overdo it..that`d be *so* tempting if I were in your shoes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    jrock645- Could you please school me on the DEXA scan? Gee....the things I don`t know!

Two more weeks huh? I bet you`kk *really* be ready by then, watch you don`t overdo it..that`d be *so* tempting if I were in your shoes.

Dexa scan- also known as a bone density scan but it can also be used to measure bodyfat. Basically the most accurate method readily available for checking bodyfat.

No overdoing it here, just trying to stick to the plan and stay on schedule.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jroack645- Ah, OK...thanks for explaining! Hey, I`m the last guy to call anything like that overkill I mean, gee...I had my bf% done weekly for years even though it never really varied much.

As for overdoing it in the gym, what`s the plan for getting back to proper-equip workouts?

Post Thanks / Like

jroack645- Ah, OK...thanks for explaining! Hey, I`m the last guy to call anything like that overkill I mean, gee...I had my bf% done weekly for years even though it never really varied much.

As for overdoing it in the gym, what`s the plan for getting back to proper-equip workouts?

Im gonna go to the gym on my bday, 6-15. Hopefully be back in it feom then on at least most days. At this point im just making up my workouts as i go, using the same or similar movements and a similar type format as what menno drew up. Making it up as i go makes it a bit more interesting and gets me a bit more motivated. Ill be so glad to be back in the gym though.

Took it a bit easy this week. 18 hours detailing cars sunday and monday and still felt beat up so i rested yesterday. Ill get back to doing something today.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Noting that I`m sure you see this comment coming I`m glad you took a little break since you felt the Detailing (which I wouldn`t consider normal).

AND, I like that you`re being instinctive about your at-home training! You do know a lot, and I always think that *you* might well be the best expert when it comes to, well...you.

Now as long as they keep things nice and safe in that gym...

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Noting that I`m sure you see this comment coming I`m glad you took a little break since you felt the Detailing (which I wouldn`t consider normal).

AND, I like that you`re being instinctive about your at-home training! You do know a lot, and I always think that *you* might well be the best expert when it comes to, well...you.

Now as long as they keep things nice and safe in that gym...
    from the email i got, theyre doing what they can. Requiring masks, equipment being removed or repositioned, capacity limits, requiring everyone bring a towel to sit on/against equipment they`re using. Seems reasonable enough for me.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- OK, sounds good...if everybody gets onboard. The pix from our local gyms show people without masks...while the text of the article says everybody has to wear them.

Heh heh, I wouldn`t enjoy doing squats with my N95 on!

Post Thanks / Like

After three months of no Denny`s bfasts, I`m making good, and vastly quicker, progress on losing that ~3lbs of bodyfat I could do without. Over the last 18 months or so I`d lost the first pound or so, and now I`ve lost about half of it. I`d figured it`d take about three years, but bfasting at home has really accelerated that. Slow and steady, incremental progress...

Post Thanks / Like

2020 Health & Fitness Thread

Hey that’s really great! It sounds like your
    weight isn’t fluctuating too. Mine does a little within three pounds. Walking usually kills them at least for a little while. I’m not dieting at all so I bet if I did that, the three pounds would stay off permanently.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Yeah, my weight stays very consistent as best I can tell...I still never get on a scale except at the Dr. office. Even my "lose ~3lbs of fat" is a guess, and I bet nobody else could ever tell the diff (my *wife* can barely tell and only if she makes a deliberate effort). It`s basically like.."what would I want to improve if I were to enter a physique contest?", just fine-tuning.

Hey, as I`ve said, Dr. Sears (of fish oil fame) would say I`m vastly *TOO* lean, and he works with Olympic athletes.

I had wanted to do that fine-tuning *without* altering my diet appreciably, but the Pandemic = No Denny`s and I`m just rolling with that. I figure it really is just the diff of not eating 1-2 waffles/week, and I hardly ever ate them without first doing an intense cardio session, so I`m surprised it makes such a diff.

[WARNING: broken-record lecture follows: ]

At some point you`ll have to start doing some Resistance Training or your lean weight will decrease for the wrong reason (sarcopenia)..not like *anybody* can avoid that in the absence of RT, just how humans are. Without RT, everybody loses muscle from ~30yo on (at the latest, I think it starts much sooner), and when overall weight stays the same that`s usually because additional fat is building up.

[OK, OK..end of lecture ]

Post Thanks / Like

Been back in the gym for a week and it feels so good.

Had a dexa scan last Saturday..l came in at 13.8%. Not quite what I was hoping for, but I eventually got off track after the first month of at home workouts. Focus and motivation slipped and diet got sloppy.

Oh well, I’ll make some good progress these next 4 weeks being back in the gym, then reverse diet into a lean bulk.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Glad to hear you`re back in the gym/on-track. And that you`re taking the effects of the lockdown in stride. That was quite an interruption!

I do always wonder about your often-changing diet, but if nothing else you keep it interesting for me to follow

Post Thanks / Like

I went to the gym on Thursday for the the first time since they shut down. Friday I had a pain in my lower back on the left side.... I figured it was some muscles were waking up. Went away Saturday but returned Sunday with a vengeance. Just got back from urgent care. I passed some kidney stones! First time for me.

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Glad to hear you`re back in the gym/on-track. And that you`re taking the effects of the lockdown in stride. That was quite an interruption!

I do always wonder about your often-changing diet, but if nothing else you keep it interesting for me to follow
    I`m not sure what you mean by that. The diet actually hasn`t changed in months. Adherence has been a struggle, but that`s a separate issue.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

John U- Yikes! Hope that`s the end of that for this lifetime. Between the long time off and that I bet your first workout was kinda different from the norm.

jrock645- I guess I was referring to "bulking"/"cutting"/"lean bulk"/etc. more than the big changes like to/from Keto. That`s probably just me since I basically eat the same stuff day in day out for years and years with no real changes.

It`s also probably just me since I don`t really value variety and only eat stuff that I like..but I don`t get the "adherence" thing. Why not just eat (healthy) stuff you like, in the right quantities, all the time (other than the occasional cheat-day)? It seems to me that trying to stick to a diet that doesn`t completely satisfy you in all respects would be a losing battle long-term.

Again, all this "what`s up with.." stuff about diets is probably just my weirdness where food/drink is concerned and I don`t mean to sound critical. It`s been years since I`ve eaten the way I used to (i.e., "normally" with lots of beef/starchy carbs/etc.) and now I find it hard to believe I could ever eat like that..didn`t realize how much better I`d feel without such stuff.

Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread Information