Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Health & Fitness Thread

I got a gift bag of cigars for Christmas and I put them in a large shopping bag to take home. I got home and of course put everything away including both bags and I realized I was missing a cigar from the bunch. Well, I eventually found it in the large shopping bag I ( prematurely) put away after assuming everything was in its place. Maybe had I been less in a rush to put things away like I always am, I never would’ve lost the cigar in the first place.

Beats losing money though, my father did that one Christmas and never did recover it.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Ah, OK...*now* I get it

Consider this: by having put the bag away (presumably in its proper place), you knew right where to look.

Post Thanks / Like

^^ I wish I could teach my boys that trick!

Post Thanks / Like

yamabob- Heh heh, easier for *everybody* (especially them, long term..) to ingrain that *now* while they`re still young(er).

Eh, easy for me to say...what do I know about raising kids?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Probably more than me it seems. Seems ( since we are close in age) we learned that very early more than likely 20 & 17 years I`ve stressed( more ways than 1 ) to them certain "life lessons" Deaf ears I tell ya. They wont believe the irons hot till they touch it. Then blame me for the iron being hot.
    Still luv `um though -just dont always like them
    Wait.....was this a fitness thread??

Post Thanks / Like

yamabob- heh heh, these threads often veer far afield all right!

I can nudge it right back on-topic by pointing out that it`s the same kind of thing with regard to staying in shape- that`s something that`s a lot better to just make part of "how we live day-to-day" compared to "gee, now that [I have health issues] I guess I should`ve..."

I sometimes think that we took Life in general far more seriously back in the day, it was just *harsher* on people who made mistakes. NO, I`m sure not saying that was a feature!

And you`re obviously a more loving parent than a whole lotta people are, hope your boys appreciate that.

Back on-topic- Putting stuff in its proper place is, to me, a lot like staying in shape; it`s easier than going back and rectifying the situation later after it`s bitten ya. I used to put on a few pounds of fat every Holiday Season...no biggie, always lost it within a few months. BUT, gee it`s all so much better now that I keep it better in check.

Learning to *NOT* learn everything the hard way is important with regard to fitness too. Why wait until you start to have issues? It`s just harder then and *NOBODY* can go through life out-of-shape without suffering consequences, humans just don`t work that way. We`re programmed to start decaying at a certain age and only exercise can stave that off. People don`t interpret that "Freshman 15" properly, they miss the, uhm... Distant Early Warning.
    Likes mc2hill liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Well I`m at that point that I need to do something . Health is in general great. As I stated earlier, If it came to walking I easily outdistance many of any age. My issue is upper body deteriorating quickly. I`ve had several surgeries on both shoulders and they are better but far from good( especially the right one -after the third time it`s pretty useless. That why the little I do involves swimming.
    Thoughts or ideas?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    mc2hill- Hey, great to see another Stair/Matrix user posting!

Your 30 min./3x week is very similar to what I did for a long, LONG, time. FWIW, I`ve gone from those longer workouts to brief "Sprint Intervals", and yeah..I too have to put it on Manual to get what I want. Eh, I have to do that for all such machines, the Programs are never quite what I want.

Glad you`re able to get good readings on your HR Monitor! I haven`t had a reliable one yet, and finally just gave up on `em The ones I used at least got me, uhm...informed; I know what (truly) maxing out for me feels like and I just aim for that. If I could be OK with a chest-strap that`d probably be different, but they distract me so much I can`t deal with `em.

Stationary bikes- I have an AirDyne, which is borderline torture! After warming up (first with the Stair, then a few minutes on the Air) I do Tabata-style intervals (20/10) and am utterly gassed after three, maybe four...as in, sometimes end up on the floor. I try to go as hard as I can during the Work Intervals, aiming to hit at least 100rpms, and when I can`t maintain 80rpms after that I know I`m done. I can only do those every three weeks or so (!)...incredible how demanding it is.

Treadmills- I jog/run like a spastic robot and thus only use the Tread for brisk hikes, running it up/down its incline range while progressively upping the speed to (currently) 4.2mph. Not really *demanding*, and I don`t consider it "real cardio", but very enjoyable and presumably sufficient for maintaining arterial flexibility.

I`ve always found the whole Heart Rate topic interesting! I put zero credibility in the "age minus 220" formula as it simply doesn`t apply to me (and the guy who developed it says it`s just something he came up with as a plug-in value; he doesn`t consider it legit either). IMO, different people are just *DIFFERENT* when it comes to HR, and as best I can tell from the studies it`s all about working at both near-max (briefly) and at about 2/3 that (for longer).

Your work with the plate sounds like a good way to incorporate some Resistance Training. My RT regimen has become kinda, uhm....involved, but basically revolves around only doing one set of a given movement and then doing something else. I need between 12-21 days to recover from what I`m doing (different muscle groups recover at different rates for me) even though I do so little compared to what I used to do.
    HR monitor - I started with the strap (Polar) and it never bothered me, but I can see how it could. I have a co-worker with a fancy Garmin watch that tracks HR, not sure how accurate it is. I read the same thing with the guy that is credited with the HR max. My main goal is to get back to a resting rate of 60 bpm.

I need to add a few minutes (5 or so) of treadmill running a few days a week. I got back into shape 7 years ago when I was asked if I was interested starting a softball team, and realized I was too out of shape to play! Once I got in shape on the stairs, I found I was pulling hamstrings easily. I guess all my years of sitting at a desk, combined with a restricted leg movement of stair climbing was making them worse. Adding a few days of a full stride workout I think will help.

And just to throw it out there for comparison - 6` 1", currently 230, and was 58 at the last BDay. I got down to 205 lbs. 7 years ago, but will be happy to be close to 210 this time.

I have never tried the AirDyne, but I see they are adding to them at the gym. They are repurposing 2 of the 4 racquetball courts to create a `Orange Theory` type area, and there are 6 AirDynes waiting for that.

I can say that being in shape makes it much easier to spend a day detailing a car. I don`t do it often, but it is not a problem spending 8-12 hours cleaning and polishing.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator --
    Happy New Year, Mi Hermano` !!

Fitness - I just cut out a meal, work really hard, try to keep that big Makita in my hands for at least 8 hours a day, and I am good !

Have always thought of my body as my engine in that if I am not burning all the fuel, why do I need to keep topping of the gas tank ??

So I just cut out lunch, eat a very small breakfast, and will have a pretty good meal , lots of veggies, etc., in the evening, and it works for me..

I like to do lots of fast pace walks for a few miles and that helps also..

Dan F

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yamabob View Post
    Well I`m at that point that I need to do something . Health is in general great. As I stated earlier, If it came to walking I easily outdistance many of any age. My issue is upper body deteriorating quickly. I`ve had several surgeries on both shoulders and they are better but far from good( especially the right one -after the third time it`s pretty useless. That why the little I do involves swimming.
    Thoughts or ideas?
    Yamabob !
    Happy New Year to you and yours !!
    I got to see Tulum once when I was awarded "Service Legend of IT Dept of the Year" and spent 7 days and nights at the Ritz-Carlton in Cancun` !
    Oh wow, it was an Amazing week !
    We got in this really nice Mercedes Benz bus and toured the Tulum ruins for half a day and then they took us to shops along the way back..
    Loved, loved, loved, the beautiful white powder Caribbean beach behind the hotel !! It is not sand (as you know), so it does not burn your feet..

And the food alone at the Ritz-Carlton - why would anyone want to leave?

My Company (AirTouch Cellular) even rented out the entire Hard Rock Cafe` in Cancun` for 24 hours for us...

Getting back on track - I believe swimming is certainly good for resistance and toning, and of course is not going to hurt things easily..

Have you thought about just `flexing" all those muscle groups for a bit every day? I believe that alone will help get them programmed to react to that and will help overall..

That is what I would try, and then, if I got better results from that alone, I might try putting 2 stable chairs on each side of me, and then putting my hands on the chair tops, evenly, see how far I could lower myself and raise myself up again.. Taking it easy at the beginning, and then progressing when I could feel I could..
    This is a great total arm, shoulder, exercise that does not require machines or going somewhere to use them..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Gracias!!! Same for you and yours. Now take them to Tulum and Playa and stay away from Cancun It takes me at most 10 minutes to ride my bike to the ruins. There is a fantastic little beach below the cliffs of El Castillo that can only be accessed thru the ruins. Does get crowded with those pesky tourists though. When I`m there I go full out bike -walking. Such a healthy lifestyle with the fresh non GMO foods and the fact that I eat less.
    I stretch them everyday day or else they freeze up. Surgeon on last op told me to stay away from activities like pull ups and even push ups. What????? I do resistance bands ( not everyday which I should probably do every other in the least). With the way they swell and feel I`m prone to do nothing which is worse as muscle mass has been greatly reduced over the years to the point where now the dog food bag is heavy. I`ll give your suggestion a try as doing nothing for the most part isn`t working

Post Thanks / Like

Thoughts or ideas?
    While it will certainly make things more challenging, I bet there`s *some* way to work around your shoulder issues.

I`ve had some myself (can`t do barbell benchpresses, for instance) and/but even when I was seriously compromised (recovering..) I was able to do decent workouts. Note that I could *NOT* have done any swimming as my shoulders were much too messed up for that.

IMO the starting point will be to find what movements don`t hurt. I`m betting that a lot of the movements that *do* hurt aren`t really all that beneficial anyhow..like those benchpresses that so many say you "have to do" (not really a good chest movement after all).

Note that the biggest muscles in the upper body are those of the back, especially lats. LOTS of ways to work those without aggravating shoulder issues.

If you take "Presses" of all kinds out of the picture, maybe you can get some good Resistance Training in without your shoulders complaining...and you`ll still do great.

Post Thanks / Like

See I screwed that up. I thought it was Resist Training and I`ve avoided it like an All-Star. You guys are inspiring me to push past the mental block and give this some serious effort.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mc2hill View Post
    HR monitor - I started with the strap (Polar) and it never bothered me, but I can see how it could. I have a co-worker with a fancy Garmin watch that tracks HR, not sure how accurate it is. My main goal is to get back to a resting rate of 60 bpm.
    I`m admittedly weirdly sensitive to things that bug me, if only because of how they`re *distractions*. After beating myself up about it and trying to change I`ve finally just accepted that "that`s how I am" and that`s working great. I had a HR watch too...wasn`t bad but never got consistently reliable readings at higher HRs..then it quit giving readings altogether.

I`m *NOT* saying everybody oughta just ditch them the way I did...they`re beneficial! If only to get some objective baselines...I thought I was *really* working hard at about 155bpm...kept pushing and pushing and it kept going higher...at the "oh man, I`m gonna die!" point I *still* had more left. It was a real eye-opener.

I read the same thing with the guy that is credited with the HR max. My main goal is to get back to a resting rate of 60 bpm.
    Hey, maybe the truth about that "220- age" thing is getting more attention these days.

Yeah, having a good low resting HR is a good goal and getting to 60bpm oughta be doable for most people.

I need to add a few minutes (5 or so) of treadmill running a few days a week. I got back into shape 7 years ago when I was asked if I was interested starting a softball team, and realized I was too out of shape to play! Once I got in shape on the stairs, I found I was pulling hamstrings easily. I guess all my years of sitting at a desk, combined with a restricted leg movement of stair climbing was making them worse. Adding a few days of a full stride workout I think will help...
    I`m gonna play Devil`s Advocate..so please don`t misinterpret this as some kind of criticism or argument, OK?

Why (specifically) do you think 5 minutes of running would be beneficial for your Hamstrings?

Why would stair climbing involve a "restricted leg movement"? Maybe the unit you`re using is very different from mine (StairMaster PT4000), but I get a good range of motion and credit decades of regular use with my complete lack of Hamstring/knee issues. (I was told, back in the `90s, to expect knee replacements by now, especially on the right, and the x rays were scary..but nope, building up my Hams and not driving a stick coincided with all my issues going away.)

What else are you doing for your Hamstrings? Besides the Squats/etc. that work them indirectly, I do one set of Leg Curls and one set of Good Mornings (with what some would call light little baby weights), and mine are *SORE* for days. It takes me about three weeks to recover enough to do that again. Those two movements cover the two things the Hams do and IMO you need to cover both.

And just to throw it out there for comparison - 6` 1", currently 230, and was 58 at the last BDay. I got down to 205 lbs. 7 years ago, but will be happy to be close to 210 this time.
    I wish I had a better idea about what`s "the appropriate weight" for a given height. I go by Bodyfat % pretty much exclusively..."am I as lean and muscular as I want to be?" Which is an admittedly vague standard compared to when I was having my BF% tested all the time. Close enough for *ME* because I set the bar awfully high, but I dunno whether it`d be a smart approach for others.

I have never tried the AirDyne, but I see they are adding to them at the gym. They are repurposing 2 of the 4 racquetball courts to create a `Orange Theory` type area, and there are 6 AirDynes waiting for that.
    Absolute torture if done in the Sprint Interval Training ("SIT") manner and still [darn] unpleasant for steady-state work. So much so that I never do the latter on it even though I acknowledge how beneficial it would be.

I can say that being in shape makes it much easier to spend a day detailing a car. I don`t do it often, but it is not a problem spending 8-12 hours cleaning and polishing.
    ABSOLUTELY! I have never found Detailing to be physically demanding. Period. If I can do something for a while, it`s not that hard; what`s "hard" in my book leaves me trashed in a matter of minutes and anything else is just "activity" that I can do for hours.

Post Thanks / Like

See I screwed that up. I thought it was Resist Training and I`ve avoided it like an All-Star. You guys are inspiring me to push past the mental block and give this some serious effort.
    Resistance Training ("RT") is utterly crucial as we age. The whole "cardio vs. RT" thing has been thoroughly upended by recent developments in microbiology/etc. that help researchers see what`s really going on. And remember that your body doesn`t know whether a cardiovascular demand is coming from running or from doing pullups, it just knows whether it`s being challenged or not.

As we age, we don`t lose the Slow-twitch Muscle Fibers that we use for "endurance" work like aerobics, we lose the Fast-twitch ones which are used for RT. That`s what makes "old people feeble" and what causes a metabolic slowdown that lets fat build up. And obviously it`s what causes untrained older people to get weak. It`s *NOT* mere aging, it`s *aging in the absence of proper exercise*. Heh heh, there are octogenarians who can easily outperform anybody I know, myself included!

The trick is to do the right exercises, the right way, in the right amount, with the right frequency (all of those being "what`s right for *you*" ).

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information