Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Health & Fitness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Just BW on the pullups. Bench and pullups have always been a tough progression for me. Guess its just a matter of being long limbed and weak jointed. I dunno...
    Maybe my relatively short arms help with the pullups/chins. Those have always been one of the very few movements for which I`ll use..heh heh..manly weights :LOL:

But coach prescribes those movements, so thats what were doing...
    OKaaaaay...but I sure hope he`s got it right. As I`m always saying, there`s nobody on earth who can proscribe my workouts as well as I can, and I credit *that* for my complete satisfaction with my results.

As for my waist, i originally set out to get under 32”, so i guess im not far, but Im kind of letting menno guide the course here.
    OK, that`s an admirable number for somebody your size. I`m always around 31" or so which makes it weird buying some articles of clothing where I gotta buy L/XL for one bodypart but could use a S/M for others that`re involved

Are you still doing Planks? I keep meaning to add them to the rotation but sigh...I just never do! By the time I get to the end of my usual Core routine (at the end of the workouts) I just hit the wall. And I`m sure not gonna delete any of the Core movements I`m doing now since they`re working so well (just upped the weight on the Ab Bench by a little bit ).

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve read up about the drops and learned they are anti bacterial and steroids (to reduce swelling) all in one. I started them yesterday. Gotta put them in four times a day for ten days. It’s a pain because I’m not good at instilling the drops into my eyes but hopefully everything will be permanently clear once the ten day period has passed.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Ah, good, you schooled yourself Those sound like an AIO-version of the drops I got in two separate Rx`s. Hope those 10 days are enough to really *kill* whatever`s causing the issue.

I hope they don`t sting/burn much; some that my wife got burned like crazy! I really felt sorry for her and almost felt guilty when I put `em in for her.

(Took your Doc long enough to prescribe those! Sheesh, you`ve been suffering for a long time IMO.)

The application gets easier with practice Heh heh...yeah, I know, that kind of comment doesn`t do my wife any good either! One of those weird things I apparently have a knack for.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Maybe my relatively short arms help with the pullups/chins. Those have always been one of the very few movements for which I`ll use..heh heh..manly weights :LOL:

OKaaaaay...but I sure hope he`s got it right. As I`m always saying, there`s nobody on earth who can proscribe my workouts as well as I can, and I credit *that* for my complete satisfaction with my results.

OK, that`s an admirable number for somebody your size. I`m always around 31" or so which makes it weird buying some articles of clothing where I gotta buy L/XL for one bodypart but could use a S/M for others that`re involved

Are you still doing Planks? I keep meaning to add them to the rotation but sigh...I just never do! By the time I get to the end of my usual Core routine (at the end of the workouts) I just hit the wall. And I`m sure not gonna delete any of the Core movements I`m doing now since they`re working so well (just upped the weight on the Ab Bench by a little bit ).

Menno does not have me doing any direct core work at all right now.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Menno does not have me doing any direct core work at all right now.
    Aren`t your abs and obliques suffering from that? If I go even a *week* I start to see (admittedly kinda minor) changes in mine. Maybe it`s that Age Factor or somesuch...I wish it weren`t so as those are the only muscles I work for really long sets and !oh man! is it a drag for me (I`d never do it except for the rather unexpected results, and hey I *didn`t* do it that way for decades!).

Post Thanks / Like

Aren`t your abs and obliques suffering from that? If I go even a *week* I start to see (admittedly kinda minor) changes in mine. Maybe it`s that Age Factor or somesuch...I wish it weren`t so as those are the only muscles I work for really long sets and !oh man! is it a drag for me (I`d never do it except for the rather unexpected results, and hey I *didn`t* do it that way for decades!).

Not at all. We’ll have to agree to disagree here i suppose. Im not against ab work but its highly over emphasized. I just cant twll you how many guys with physiques id kill for dont do any ab work. Meanwhile i see 300lb fattys at the gym spwnsing all their time doing crunches. Pretty clear to me whos got it right and who doesnt. My obliques in particular look better than ever.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

We all have different goals so my goals are clearly different from yours, but if you can convince yourself you look good regardless of the truth, it`ll work on your missus!
    I rarely step on the scale nor take pics of progression for comparing Day _ to day 100.
    I never work abs, and admittedly, am a 2 maybe 3 pack on my best days. Naturally I don`t mind, I`m not about that "cant eat XYZ if you want a 6pack".
    At my current height/weight/physique, I`m probably 2 months away from abs with a strict diet but I have no intentions of giving up the "see-food" diet. I see food, I eat. I`ll just compensate by working harder at the gym and it`ll equalize back to the 6-month-running-average.

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all. We’ll have to agree to disagree here i suppose...
    Heh heh, wouldn`t be the first time! With the way experiences/results differ between us that`s fine by me and IMO we have some great discussions. Hey, as long as we`re both happy with our progress we`re both on the right track.

Im not against ab work but its highly over emphasized... i see 300lb fattys at the gym spwnsing all their time doing crunches.
    Heh heh, yeah...the Spot-Reduction I get from that stuff only works as a fraction-of-a-%-BF type of tweaking, sure doesn`t do what so many people expect.

My take on it (which is sure different from a few years ago!) is, like yours, based on what I experience first-hand, and IMO that`s the right
    yardstick.

What makes me wonder is why people like those [heavyweights] keep doing something that`s not working for them. But OK...at least they oughta have strong abs to counteract all that weight they`re carrying up front.

My obliques in particular look better than ever.
    Good! That`s like my Seratus...I dunno why, but they`re great without any targeting. OK, whatever..I`ll take it

I just cant twll you how many guys with physiques id kill for dont do any ab work.
    Another case of how "everybody`s the same, only different". We just gotta go by our individual experiences.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BMWWW View Post
    We all have different goals so my goals are clearly different from yours, but if you can convince yourself you look good regardless of the truth, it`ll work on your missus!
    I`m absolutely in favor of everybody having *his own* goals.

Heh heh, I do note that "convince yourself regardless/regardless of the truth"...and can say without *any* doubt whatsoever anyone who sees me, even fully dressed, *knows* I look in-shape ...there`s no convincing needed. I bet *you* don`t have to convince yourself that you`re happy either...you are or you`re not and you know which side of that fence you`re on.

FWIW, at my most out-of-shape (Med follow-up appointment post-surgery, after maybe 6 weeks off and a few "easy" weeks before that), the surgeon asked me to be a Visual Aid for a group of Med students.."an example of optimal fitness, you won`t see this again for a long while". They thought he was kidding about how I felt I was "out of shape" (and that I was a cigarette smoker at the time). Noting that I *am* 60YO, I wouldn`t embarrass myself by entering a "Senior`s Contest" with no prep, could do it any time if I cared about such stuff.

I rarely step on the scale nor take pics of progression for comparing Day _ to day 100.
    Same here. I only get on a scale at the Dr.`s office, and I`ve never had a pic taken to show my build nor done some Big Project for X days or anything like that. I`m all about everyday condition. My "optimal shape by 60 " was basically about paying closer attention to making every workout as good as possible, finding ways to tweak some details. Like turning that 6-pack into more like an 8-or-10 and tightening up my Inner Obliques.
    I never work abs, and admittedly, am a 2 maybe 3 pack on my best days. Naturally I don`t mind, I`m not about that "cant eat XYZ if you want a 6pack".
    At my current height/weight/physique, I`m probably 2 months away from abs with a strict diet but I have no intentions of giving up the "see-food" diet. I see food, I eat. I`ll just compensate by working harder at the gym and it`ll equalize back to the 6-month-running-average.
    Hey, it`s all about what`s right for *YOU* and I think it`s great that you`re taking a long view.

Even if there were zero visible benefits, I`d simply *have* to work my Core as hard as I do for optimal functionality, just as I have to really work at Cardio regardless of whether it shows or not; I believe I`d have issues if I didn`t, the way most people my age seem to have...back, digestion, all sorts of stuff. (Plus, I`d have to replace my wardrobe Not gonna happen! ). The appearance thing is just a nice side effect, nobody else cares with the possible exception of my wife, and she wouldn`t care unless I really let myself go (which would mean I`m not the same person any more).

I think it`s [freakin`] terrible how so many people I know just can`t do what they did when they were younger...it`s...really sad. I`m not gonna go there if I can help it.

Note that Barry Sears (he of The Zone/Fish Oil/etc.), who`s trained Olympians, would say that I`m "too lean" for always having at least a 6-pack. He`d say your 2-3 is just right.

Though believe it or not, I eat as much as I want of whatever I want, including about a pound of hamburger every Sat., 4.5 Arby`s every Sunday (tons of Pringles each of those nights too, and two cans of pop/week), and those Denny`s Bfasts that can involve multiple waffles with lots of syrup. While still seeing a 6-pack even at my worst.

If I couldn`t eat what I want, that`d be the wrong "diet" for me! I`m with you 100% about not denying yourself stuff that makes Life more enjoyable and IMO if you can`t eat what you want there`s something totally haywire somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, gym just closed for the next couple of weeks. Ordered some of the bowflex adjustable db’s and a bench. Hoping it’s only 2 weeks.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Well, gym just closed for the next couple of weeks. Ordered some of the bowflex adjustable db’s and a bench. Hoping it’s only 2 weeks.
    I like that you`ll have that equip at home now, maybe a (pricey) blessing in disguise

Which of their combos did you get?

Post Thanks / Like

I like that you`ll have that equip at home now, maybe a (pricey) blessing in disguise

Which of their combos did you get?
    just got the 52.5lb db’s. And I got a cheap adjustable bench that amazon could get here by Thursday. It’s not a bowflex bench, about half the price.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Ah, OK, bet that was a smart move on the bench! As long as nothing about it bugs you there`s nothing wrong with price-shopping those

The 52.5s OTOH, might get limiting...not what I`d want for shrugs/etc. let alone any at-home Leg work...I`ll be interested to hear what you think once you`ve had `em for a while. I *DO* think it might be a good design though, similar idea to my IntellBells, but those are awfully fragile and sometimes you just can`t set `em down gently at the end of a work set.

Can you get additional weight for them? With the IntellBells, the one set I have was upgradeable, but the ones I got from my BFF when she moved doesn`t appear to be and their 50lb limit makes me glad I have others.

You *can* of course add a bit with PlateMates, something I use nearly every single workout.

Post Thanks / Like

This whole Virus thing has me really glad I`ve stuck with my training Given the results of all those studies I don`t have to worry about being in the "older" demographic, as the ultra-fit (in the sense of the Primary Biomarkers of Muscle Mass and Strength) just don`t show age-typical Immune Systems (indistinguishable from somebody in his 20s according to the studies I`ve read). Also glad I`m no longer overtraining, which would`ve thrown a monkey wrench into all that...

I`ve upped my Polyphenol intake though, my version of playing it safe(r). And the shutdown of Denny`s will undoubtedly be good for me, much as I`ll miss those bfasts.

Post Thanks / Like

The world has become a scary place since Denny’s has closed!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread Information