Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Health & Fitness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BMWWW View Post
    Hah, good ole airdyne, I have one in the basement for days that I absolutely cannot find an hour to hit the gym for a quick 20-30mins of torture. No need to buy new, I grabbed mine off the local classifieds for $50? Gave her a good ole detail and lube the chain up, and it has been smoothe as glass since...
    Yeah, used Airs are one of the best fitness bargains out there IMO; they simply don`t wear out (my dad`s from the ?`70s? is still working fine for a friend of mine, though she doesn`t use it the way he did or I do). Wow, only $50! That`s simply great.

Does yours have the "drilled seat post" or the "continuously variable one" with no holes? I have the former, wish I had the latter. Oh, is yours white (like mine) or coppery-metallic like my dad`s (I simply love the latter)? What seat are you using for that long a ride on it? I`ve gone through a *scad* of different seats, finally found one that`s not unbearably uncomfortable.

Heh heh.."a quick 20-30.." and you mean *minutes* I do a quick *90 seconds* for the "working" part of my Airdyne cardio (20 seconds hard as I can, ten seconds rest, three-four of those per workout), and that`ll sometimes leave me literally lying on the floor trying to breathe. Psychologically, I can`t go longer/easier on it lest those Sprint Intervals seem even worse than they already do when I go back to them. That`s just me...I have "not too awful" cardio and "pure torture, "just live through this..."" cardio with zero in-between, and the two are done on different machines. I just can`t "go easy now and then" lest getting back to "not easy" seem harder than it already does. Yeah, that was a challenge when recovering from surgery...

BUT...good on you for doing some more endurance-oriented work on yours! That upper-body involvement it provides benefits the arteries in those bodyparts in ways I`m not achieving

Ya`ll like foam rolling?
    Never did anything like that, but I`m not needing it either. My wife, OTOH, does do it along with The Ball stuff and finds it helpful (she`s had *MAJOR* spinal surgery and will always have to go above/beyond to avoid issues). Hey, if it makes your life better then it`s great IMO. With any back issues it pays to not let `em get any worse.

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Hope I`m not bugging you, but I`m really curious about how you`re doing between the TRT and the new training regimen!

I`ve resigned myself to, sigh... doing longer Work intervals on the Stair...only way I can keep it demanding.

My biggest challenge remains balancing recovery from Leg Day with my Cardio. Even with just 7 Work Sets for upper + lower legs, I simply can`t go
    cardio again for longer than I like.

I`m still not walking as much as Bill D, but I did get 3.81 miles in an hour the other day, with most of that at an incline (including 7 minutes as steep as it`ll get).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I`m still not walking as much as Bill D, but I did get 3.81 miles in an hour the other day, with most of that at an incline (including 7 minutes as steep as it`ll get).
    Well that’s still quite good! I walked yesterday. Today I take the day off from heavier walking although I did walk about 3 miles round trip this morning to go to the barber. Now I’m just on my “normal” work schedule. Time for lunch ....
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- The older Beauceron`s mobility issues are really cramping my Normal Walking; other than the yardwork (which does equate to several hours of near constant deep-knee bends) I feel like I`m doing most of my low-demand work on the treadmill. Unlike with some people that`s OK by me, but it`s still weird to not be walking outdoors all the time.

I think it`s good that you can incorporate regular walking into your regular daily life. We simply must drive everywhere, and parking at the fringes of parking lots doesn`t really add much IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m wrapping up Barry Sears` latest book The Resolution Zone, which of course makes a strong case for spending even more $ with him (yeah, *slight* cynicism there, and/but hey, what did I expect?!?). Good stuff in it per usual, BUT..

I suspect his late wife (gee, why`d she die at her age if benefiting as I`d expect from all his stuff?) was his copy-editor as this book simply *SCREAMS* for one...not just punctuation, but even subject/verb agreement and stuff like that. I [freakin`] hate it when such books are poorly written...and this is so bad it makes some sections hard to interpret precisely. Makes me wonder whether he really expects his readers to be Critical Thinkers as opposed to just letting him spoon-feed supposed knowledge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Well [3.81mi/hour is] still quite good!
    Two benefit of the Tread are that I can do so much at steep inclines (and pick my own declines) and I can walk at a pace that`d be pretty unnatural to do outdoors. I had to do a lot at 4.2mph to do that, and that`s awfully brisk.

I`ve started pumping my arms "Heavy Hands style" during parts of the highest inclines..well, as best I can with the low ceiling height in that room. Just doing it bare-handed, but it does add a little bit of effort. Might eventually add my wife`s actual HH at some point.

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Hope I`m not bugging you, but I`m really curious about how you`re doing between the TRT and the new training regimen!

I`ve resigned myself to, sigh... doing longer Work intervals on the Stair...only way I can keep it demanding.

My biggest challenge remains balancing recovery from Leg Day with my Cardio. Even with just 7 Work Sets for upper + lower legs, I simply can`t go
    cardio again for longer than I like.

All is still going well. Most lifts are still progressing workout to workout- up to 450lbs for my sets of v squats, and 425 for my calf raises. Slow, slow, slow progress on bench and pull-ups.

Weight bottomed out at 186 about 9 days ago, but then I went out of town for a conference and just that couple days of eating dinners out- I managed to stay on plan for breakfast and lunch- put 10lbs on me. Granted, that was mostly water and glycogen and I’ve pissed about half of that 10lbs off in 5 days. I trained in the hotel gym while away, so at least gave those carbs somewhere to go.

Waist measurement is at 32.5”, wondering how much lower were gonna go.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Wow, those are some poundages you`re doing on the squats/calf work!

I`m surprised that you put on 10lbs in *any* way over just a few days! I mean..I`ve just never had my weight go up by that much in my life, even with extended lay-off that included bed-rest/hospitalization/anything. Goes to show how different people can be (and it makes me count my lucky stars ).

Is the Benchpress, uhm...right for you? Just wondering as I basically don`t do barbell Benches at all, and don`t do much pressing movements period these days (no, my Pecs/etc. haven`t suffered any from that). I`m wondering if the slow progress is trying to tell you something.

Are you doing the Pullups with bodyweight or with additional? I`m only doing those maybe every third back workout these days, I think they just got...stale...for me. I actually get better Lat results doing single-arm Pulldowns, better ROM for one thing. In my case, the much lower weight that I use for those does me more good than the much heavier weight when I do weighted Pullups even though I`m good and strict (fine MMC and all) on the latter. Not that I plant to ever really quit doing Pullups though...(and I`m still doing the palms-up/supinated ones for Bis every time but those don`t hit my back).

Do you have an actual, concrete, goal for your waistline measurement, or just "as small as it`ll get"?

Post Thanks / Like

I just got back from my annual physical. My weight and bloodwork are even better than last year! My doctor said my lungs were absolutely clear. I didn’t have the heart to tell him I like an occasional cigar though. Now, if I only I could get over this pesky eye infection permanently....

Post Thanks / Like

Does yours have the "drilled seat post" or the "continuously variable one" with no holes? I have the former, wish I had the latter. Oh, is yours white (like mine) or coppery-metallic like my dad`s (I simply love the latter)? What seat are you using for that long a ride on it? I`ve gone through a *scad* of different seats, finally found one that`s not unbearably uncomfortable.

Heh heh.."a quick 20-30.." and you mean *minutes* I do a quick *90 seconds* for the "working" part of my Airdyne cardio (20 seconds hard as I can, ten seconds rest, three-four of those per workout), and that`ll sometimes leave me literally lying on the floor trying to breathe. Psychologically, I can`t go longer/easier on it lest those Sprint Intervals seem even worse than they already do when I go back to them. That`s just me...I have "not too awful" cardio and "pure torture, "just live through this..."" cardio with zero in-between, and the two are done on different machines. I just can`t "go easy now and then" lest getting back to "not easy" seem harder than it already does. Yeah, that was a challenge when recovering from surgery...

BUT...good on you for doing some more endurance-oriented work on yours! That upper-body involvement it provides benefits the arteries in those bodyparts in ways I`m not achieving
    Drilled seat as well, don`t really notice butt pain over the whole body pain from interval sprints.. 45s on, 45-120s off towards the end of the session. Ours is not white, but a rather dull brown/grey with metallic cage for the "airdyne" bits.

I`m ending my "deload months" this week, and back into lifting weights more than cardio. Not being sore from weights has been nice, but mentally, I have been craving the pain and suffering that is not found in swimming+sauna.

Just my luck, corona this and that has me second guessing my old routine at the local Goodlife gym.

At least with the pool, I feel better about salt water and chlorine(?) sanitizing... whatever.
    Keep at it everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

I just got back from my annual physical. My weight and bloodwork are even better than last year! My doctor said my lungs were absolutely clear. I didn’t have the heart to tell him I like an occasional cigar though. Now, if I only I could get over this pesky eye infection permanently....
    Hey, that`s great!

Eh, I sincerely doubt that an occasional cigar is gonna hurt you...my Pulminologist enjoys the occasional *Marlboro* and my Internist has cigars when golfing. Not that their habits mean anything for the rest of us...

Wonder what`s up with that eye infection?

EDIT: Not to be too nosy, but your "weight [being] even better" makes me wonder whether you have a goal in mind there..and if so whether it`s up/down from the current#.

Post Thanks / Like

BMWWW- Ah, yours is like ours. If we could just tweak that height a little bit...

How many of those Sprints are you doing per workout? Must be a whole lot more than I do as I`ve never had any whole-body soreness from doing the Air, just a *little* bit in the Quads that dissipates by the next morning (not real DOMS IMO).

I hope the Deloading/lay-off works for you, I`ll be interested to hear how it goes when you resume. The only times I`ve done anything like that were for a few weeks over medical stuff/surgeries, haven`t gone like... two months...off for maybe 40 years(!) or so.

Hey, that`s a thought..the Virus!

I"m glad to see you and Bill D hitting this thread. It sometimes seems like jrock645 and I are the only Autopians on it!

EDIT: Those relatively long recoveries (well, relative to mine) must allow you to *really* hit it hard for your Work Intervals! I rest about 90 seconds when switching from one thing to another (Stair to Air, from warm-up to work to cool-down, etc.) and it`s very different from recovering for a few seconds between Work/Rest Intervals.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, that`s great!

Eh, I sincerely doubt that an occasional cigar is gonna hurt you...my Pulminologist enjoys the occasional *Marlboro* and my Internist has cigars when golfing. Not that their habits mean anything for the rest of us...

Wonder what`s up with that eye infection?

EDIT: Not to be too nosy, but your "weight [being] even better" makes me wonder whether you have a goal in mind there..and if so whether it`s up/down from the current#.
    I’ve been having an irritated left eye on and off since November. It goes away before I can set up a specific appointment for it but then it returns eventually. I figured I run it by the doc and he prescribed me drops I suspect do little more than Visine or Clear Eyes. Today is my first day with them so I’ll give them a shot.

I don’t have a specific goal for my weight other than to maintain it. I fluctuate between 167 and 169 lbs as of current. I’d like to keep that.

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Wow, those are some poundages you`re doing on the squats/calf work!

I`m surprised that you put on 10lbs in *any* way over just a few days! I mean..I`ve just never had my weight go up by that much in my life, even with extended lay-off that included bed-rest/hospitalization/anything. Goes to show how different people can be (and it makes me count my lucky stars ).

Is the Benchpress, uhm...right for you? Just wondering as I basically don`t do barbell Benches at all, and don`t do much pressing movements period these days (no, my Pecs/etc. haven`t suffered any from that). I`m wondering if the slow progress is trying to tell you something.

Are you doing the Pullups with bodyweight or with additional? I`m only doing those maybe every third back workout these days, I think they just got...stale...for me. I actually get better Lat results doing single-arm Pulldowns, better ROM for one thing. In my case, the much lower weight that I use for those does me more good than the much heavier weight when I do weighted Pullups even though I`m good and strict (fine MMC and all) on the latter. Not that I plant to ever really quit doing Pullups though...(and I`m still doing the palms-up/supinated ones for Bis every time but those don`t hit my back).

Do you have an actual, concrete, goal for your waistline measurement, or just "as small as it`ll get"?

Just BW on the pullups. Bench and pullups have always been a tough progression for me. Guess its just a matter of being long limbed and weak jointed. I dunno. But coach prescribes those movements, so thats what were doing. As for my waist, i originally set out to get under 32”, so i guess im not far, but Im kind of letting menno guide the course here.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been having an irritated left eye on and off since November. It goes away before I can set up a specific appointment for it but then it returns eventually. I figured I run it by the doc and he prescribed me drops I suspect do little more than Visine or Clear Eyes. Today is my first day with them so I’ll give them a shot.
    Gee, that sounds frustrating! I`d want to know everything there is to know about those eye drops so I could determine whether they were the (really) appropriate treatment. NO, I don`t trust Medical Professionals as much as I trust myself, and my Docs are all on-board with that )

I don’t have a specific goal for my weight other than to maintain it. I fluctuate between 167 and 169 lbs as of current. I’d like to keep that.
    Yeah, I`m OK with staying where I`ve been since forever too (~165). As long as the lean/not-tissue ratio doesn`t change in the wrong way I`m at the age where untrained people suffer sarcopenia and that can skew the bodyweight evals.

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread Information