Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Health & Fitness Thread

jrock645- Huh, again..that`s interesting to me even if it wouldn`t work *for* me.

I`ve changed up my Ab/Core routine and I`m *VERY* glad I did. What I "was sure wouldn`t work well for me" is actually working great although it took nearly 6 months for me to be able to determine that. Heh heh, I`m deliberately not thinking about whether I was off-track for the last 40-some years

..he doesnt do any ab training whatsoever in his own training.
    Huh, how does he keep his Core well-developed if he doesn`t work it? I can`t get *anything* beyond a basic six-pack without really working at it, and my lower back is *infinitely* more resistant to strain now compared to a year ago (I never even thought I had any shortcoming there, although it landed me in the hospital back in the `90s, until I achieved a much stronger core and found myself doing stuff I`d thought "people probably shouldn`t do anyhow").

Maybe it`s more of my "old guy" concerns..the idea that as we get older our innards start to move downward/outward unless the various Core muscles (esp. the Transversus...?sp?) are kept very strong. That and the way I can`t see the lower two parts of my Abs (a "eight or ten-pack") unless I really isolate `em and do more reps that I ever expected to do. I could get lean enough to see vascularity there, but I couldn`t actually see all the muscles (or flex them at will) before. Not that I can see them all that clearly now, but I`m sure getting better

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    jrock645- Huh, again..that`s interesting to me even if it wouldn`t work *for* me.

I`ve changed up my Ab/Core routine and I`m *VERY* glad I did. What I "was sure wouldn`t work well for me" is actually working great although it took nearly 6 months for me to be able to determine that. Heh heh, I`m deliberately not thinking about whether I was off-track for the last 40-some years

Huh, how does he keep his Core well-developed if he doesn`t work it? I can`t get *anything* beyond a basic six-pack without really working at it, and my lower back is *infinitely* more resistant to strain now compared to a year ago (I never even thought I had any shortcoming there, although it landed me in the hospital back in the `90s, until I achieved a much stronger core and found myself doing stuff I`d thought "people probably shouldn`t do anyhow").

Maybe it`s more of my "old guy" concerns..the idea that as we get older our innards start to move downward/outward unless the various Core muscles (esp. the Transversus...?sp?) are kept very strong. That and the way I can`t see the lower two parts of my Abs (a "eight or ten-pack") unless I really isolate `em and do more reps that I ever expected to do. I could get lean enough to see vascularity there, but I couldn`t actually see all the muscles (or flex them at will) before. Not that I can see them all that clearly now, but I`m sure getting better

There’s more of these guys than you realize that don’t do cardio or ab work. Even the HIT guys like Mentzer, Baye and Reinhardt are all anti cardio. And they’re not big on ab work, with baye in particular saying it’s not necessary at all. Key is heavy compound movements. Pull-ups, squats, etc all work your core intensely when done with heavy weight.

My weight has dropped every day this week and I’ve looked leaner each day. Not bad for just getting started. Just got skinfold calipers, ready to see how this unfolds.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Eh, I realize how I probably come across but I simply don`t buy it that somebody can life a long, healthy life without the kind of cardio that countless studies say is required for cardiovascular health over a full lifetime. Like the way they can`t maintain arterial flexibility in the elderly without some degree of Endurance work (which was sad news for Yours Truly).

Same ol` same ol`...studies over the last few years have rewritten the book(s).

And as I keep posting, an absence of Isolation Work (e.g., abs/core in this case) simply doesn`t work for me. Period, obviously.

Interesting about the Squats/Pullups working the core, that never happened for me even when doing the latter with a *LOT* of added weight.

Eh, maybe I`m all revved up about the Core topic as I`ve really reworked the appearance of my Core by doing stuff that I`d disdained for decades. I mean, I`ve always had good abs for a regular person who eats whatever he wants, never been unable to see `em, same waistline as I`ve had for decades. But it looks a *LOT* better now after just a few months of the new routine. Only slightly smaller, but *that* much better...I`m onto something, but maybe that`s just me again.

Post Thanks / Like

I want to see how people giving Fitness Advice are when they get the age of, say...Clarence Bass (not that I think he walks on water either). Once you get to a certain age, you can`t get away with not doing the right stuff in sustainable ways. People who stay in-shape all the time forever, while spending their lives doing stuff other than exercising, are pretty rare but IMO that`s what it`s all about.

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- What`s your Diet consist of these days? You`re off the Keto, right?

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- What`s your Diet consist of these days? You`re off the Keto, right?
    Yeah no more keto.

So i usually have 25g of carbs from karbolyn intraworkout in the AM. PWO meal is 3 eggs with half a cup of crumbled turkey sausage, 1 cup diced potatoes and some roasted bell peppers- delicious! Lunch is usually 8oz of sirloin prepared in a few different ways. Might just be a steak, could be seared steak tips. This week i ground it into burgers with just a little liver ground in. Ate it with a bun, a single serve guacamole and a cup or so of squash. Sometimes i do rice or a sweet potato. For my other meal i alternate between a piece of cod or pulled rotisserie chicken. I might take the chicken and roll up a couple enchiladas and top with salsa and peppers. Ive made a rice noodle salad out of it. Or tacos. With the fish ill usually just do roasted sweet potato, maybe rice, and spinach or more squash. In the afternoon ill have an orange, an apple and a 1oz serving of nuts. At some point, ill usually just eat it with my pwo meal cause im hungriest then, ill have a cup of greek yogurt with blueberries and granola. I vary this up a little on my days off from work, but on work days this is efficient, easy to prep and pack and i like eating it well enough. Biggest thing has just been learning to cook with no or additional oil.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Gee, that sounds like Gourmet Fare to me!

What did you want to tweak compared to what you were doing pre-wedding? I thought you were really happy with your results from that..I`m thinking how you got clothes altered/etc.

Guess this came to mind as I`m finally wearing out my khakis from the `90s...just the first signs of fraying in places and a bit of fading..and will soon get the replacements altered.

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Gee, that sounds like Gourmet Fare to me!

What did you want to tweak compared to what you were doing pre-wedding? I thought you were really happy with your results from that..I`m thinking how you got clothes altered/etc.

Guess this came to mind as I`m finally wearing out my khakis from the `90s...just the first signs of fraying in places and a bit of fading..and will soon get the replacements altered.
    Just wanted to optimize everything. I made progress leading up to the wedding but still couldn’t get as lean as I wanted. And the result/effort ratio was just not where it should have been.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Eh, I realize how I probably come across but I simply don`t buy it that somebody can life a long, healthy life without the kind of cardio that countless studies say is required for cardiovascular health over a full lifetime. Like the way they can`t maintain arterial flexibility in the elderly without some degree of Endurance work (which was sad news for Yours Truly).

And as I keep posting, an absence of Isolation Work (e.g., abs/core in this case) simply doesn`t work for me. Period, obviously.

Interesting about the Squats/Pullups working the core, that never happened for me even when doing the latter with a *LOT* of added weight.

Eh, maybe I`m all revved up about the Core topic as I`ve really reworked the appearance of my Core by doing stuff that I`d disdained for decades. I mean, I`ve always had good abs for a regular person who eats whatever he wants, never been unable to see `em, same waistline as I`ve had for decades. But it looks a *LOT* better now after just a few months of the new routine. Only slightly smaller, but *that* much better...I`m onto something, but maybe that`s just me again.
    If you enjoy squats and loading up the weight, one switch I made was to do front squats more frequently than back squats.
    Loading it up in front of you utilizes a lot more "core muscles". I also found it more efficient in tiring me out compared to backsquats. Unless you intend to compete in power lifting competitions, big back squat numbers are just for bragging rights while I believe front squats are more functional.

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Yeah the trt has def made a difference. Ive been extremely happy about my progress the last couple months. Things are finally coming together and working. Waist measurement is down to 34”. Abs are starting to show a bit and even those serratus muscles are starting to come out. Lowest waist measurement ive had in about 10 years i think. So having established some momentum lately, im excited about supercharging things.
    Definitely ride out the momentum if your body is keeping up!
    Just remember, this is a long game. 90% for the next 30 years is better than 101% for 6 months.
    I`m not a fan of social media, but when I see people like Jocko Willink posting timestamps of completed workouts at like 4am in the morning, I find another gear.

Personally, I took the last 45 days "off" because of an impending move across town and because I strained my lower back prior to the holidays. Swimming laps 4-6 days/week + sauna work. One day/week of barbell lifting during this so I don`t lose too much of my gains. Feeling really good, couldn`t swim more than 100m without being out of breath starting out, up to 250m in one go. My main purpose to lift weights is to deal with stress and not bringing it back home/work--surprisingly, swimming + sauna work filled in that void admirably. Back to the weight room I go--no real alternative to picking stuff up and putting it back down.

Post Thanks / Like

BMWWW- Hey, good to see you posting on this thread

I do indeed have Front Squats in the rotation, using a Manta Ray to make `em a little more comfortable. Kinda prefer Zercher Squats though as they`re more comfortable and I can use a weighted vest to redistribute the resistance.

Although I`m kinda focusing most of my squatting on work with a hipbelt and cable setup as it keeps the load off my spine.

Plus, there are only so many ways I can figure out how to add the Elastic Bands to make the squats get harder during the final 1/3 of the movement. (No I don`t use a Smith Machine, which would make that easier.) That`s pretty easy to do with the cable setup I`m using, although it`s a process of endless tweaking even after so many decades.

And I agree 100% about it being a Long Game! I myself find it much more satisfying to stay in peak condition as a Senior than I ever did as a younger guy.
    ..My main purpose to lift weights is to deal with stress..

Heh heh, and on that one I`m 100% *different* from you! Noting that today is Upper Leg Day...that *is* maybe the greatest stress in my life! Those few sets (I`m planning on maybe six total for quads and hams) every ~3 weeks (takes me that long to recover) will absolutely trash me and it`s sure not something I can look forward to. I know that some people just *love* it, but I`m not that guy I sure do love the results and the sense of accomplishment though, and I`d dread the mere thought of how my life would be if I didn`t go through with those workouts.

Gee, that`s a long layoff, similar to what I`ve had to do over surgical recoveries (nothing life/death serious). Hope your back strain is all sorted out now...that got my attention as my absolute #1 priority is avoiding injury; I simply *cannot* be out-of-action (hence the hipbelt squats). Still trying to catch up from the time I lost over the last eye surgery, and that was way back ~10 months ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to optimize everything. I made progress leading up to the wedding but still couldn’t get as lean as I wanted. And the result/effort ratio was just not where it should have been.
    I guess I`d thought the TRT would take care of that. I bet your wife likes the new diet better though, huh?

I still wonder how many people stay full-keto indefinitely, like...for decades.

Heh heh, it occurs to me that my wife and I very seldom eat the exact same things for the meals we have together (usually just dinner). Even if the meat/fish/poultry is the same, for the rest of it we eat different things.

Post Thanks / Like

... today is Upper Leg Day...that *is* maybe the greatest stress in my life!
    No, no.."maybe" but not really. The Big Stress would probably be AirDyne Cardio Day, those few brief intervals are simply awful...just as Dr. Tabata admitted. But those are brief and infrequent.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I`d thought the TRT would take care of that. I bet your wife likes the new diet better though, huh?

I still wonder how many people stay full-keto indefinitely, like...for decades.

Heh heh, it occurs to me that my wife and I very seldom eat the exact same things for the meals we have together (usually just dinner). Even if the meat/fish/poultry is the same, for the rest of it we eat different things.
    me and my wife are about the same. Glad to know it’s not that weird. She does her thing, I do mine.

And yeah, the trt is fixing a lot. But I’m determined to look like an underwear model. As an update, I lost 9lbs this past week eating more calories than I was before. Astonishing. And no cardio!

As for keto, I actually do think keto makes a ton of sense for sedentary people that don’t exercise and for people with certain health conditions. I just really don’t think it’s optimal at all for an athlete. And if you’re trying to eat pizza or whatever on the weekends but still be keto, you’re wasting your time. Same goes for all these keto muffins and whatnot. He commercialization of keto is ruining it and has many people on a seriously misguided effort.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

me and my wife are about the same. Glad to know it’s not that weird. She does her thing, I do mine...
    Yeah, Accumulatorette and I often have different stuff...she cooks hers, I cook mine.
    And yeah, the trt is fixing a lot. But I’m determined to look like an underwear model. As an update, I lost 9lbs this past week eating more calories than I was before. Astonishing. And no cardio!
    Gee, that`s really something! I`m so glad to hear that you`re responding so well.

I hear you on the "underwear model", that`s the kind of goal I set for my abs/etc. too, while still eating whatever I want. Even though I`m old enough to be the grandpa of the people in those ads

As for keto, I actually do think keto makes a ton of sense for sedentary people that don’t exercise and for people with certain health conditions. I just really don’t think it’s optimal at all for an athlete. And if you’re trying to eat pizza or whatever on the weekends but still be keto, you’re wasting your time. Same goes for all these keto muffins and whatnot. He commercialization of keto is ruining it and has many people on a seriously misguided effort.
    I`m willing to say "OK whatever works for ya" regarding Keto, but yeah...and heh heh, IMO most people`s whole approach to diet/exercise is a seriously misguided effort

Speaking of eating [crap] on weekends.. ..I`m still getting away with it OK. Sure not recommending that others try it, but it`s part of my "do this forever" approach; I`m not denying myself things that I really like unless I have a very good reason to. Those 3-4 meals/week equate to thousands of the wrong calories, but I`m confident they won`t matter and so far they haven`t.

Post Thanks / Like

No, no.."maybe" but not really. The Big Stress would probably be AirDyne Cardio Day, those few brief intervals are simply awful...just as Dr. Tabata admitted. But those are brief and infrequent.
    Hah, good ole airdyne, I have one in the basement for days that I absolutely cannot find an hour to hit the gym for a quick 20-30mins of torture. No need to buy new, I grabbed mine off the local classifieds for $50? Gave her a good ole detail and lube the chain up, and it has been smoothe as glass since.

While I`m sure I`ve lost some muscle gain (which in winter = bulk time = happy stomach time), the 45 days (and counting) of swimming has netted bigger shoulders and a bit more "tone" in the abs and core. Again, another unexpected byproduct of changing up the routine.

Ya`ll like foam rolling? I bloody love that thing so much that I have a hollow and stiff one that I bring with me on all my vacations--even when I`m travelling light with carry-on only. Barely takes up any space since I can stuff the inside with socks and crap. Ain`t NOTHING better after a long day than just rolling out my back--simply divine and akin to having your very own, on-demand-masseuse 24/7. Trouble falling asleep, foam roll for 2 minutes and be instantly relaxed.

Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread Information