Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2020 Health & Fitness Thread

Bill D- Ah, OK..that *is* a good-sized meal! Yeah, eaten in the slow/conscious way that could be quite satisfying. Now add some good fat to that and you`ll be all set I`ve taken to doing my stirfry with a little olive oil rather than just relying on the moisture of the frozen veggies, which also makes it easier to avoid scorching the stuff when I`m not paying attention.

That about your dad`s pal reminds me that I oughta find/charge my flip phone, think it`s in the `93...not that I leave it on.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes this could be considered a stir fry meal. I use two table spoons of sesame seed oil and cook the contents in chicken broth. I often have brown rice on the side with it.

Charge up your phone for sure. Good to have a back up ready to go even if you seldom use it.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Charge up your phone for sure. Good to have a back up ready to go even if you seldom use it.
    Especially I suppose since I`m always driving a high-mile, older vehicle.

Need to practice what I preach; I convinced my wife to always carry one (with a camera) as a Security Aid.

Post Thanks / Like

I`m wondering how the at-home workouts are going for those who normally go to a gym.

Post Thanks / Like

I wore out/broke one of the Bodylastic brand Elastic Resistance Bands that I use to augment the (too linear) resistance of various things. Sure didn`t last long, and I suspect they`re not made as well as the previous design, but I can`t complain as I abuse them something awful using them the way I do.

This is one of those "gee, if *I* were designing the equipment" things as I just know I could do *so* much better than this cobbled-together improvisation! But hey, it`s still better than nothing.

No way I can figure out how to do the "decreasing/regressive resistance" for my Hams and Delts though, I`m pretty sure that`d take a, uhm..."opposite-of-Nautilus"-type cam of some sort. I can visualize a Magic Wand solution, but not something that`s realistically doable by Yours Truly

Post Thanks / Like

Related to both physical and mental health, what do others here do for Meditation/Relaxation/etc.?

I`d utterly discounted/ignored that stuff most of my life and I still only do some basic Breathing Exercises, although I do have my routines for "getting my head right" prior to [some performance] that I can see coming in advance.

EDIT: I guess various Mindfulness stuff would qualify, though I seldom think of it that way but rather as just my version of "do what I`m doing" in the sense of a conscious directive to focus on one thing at a time and avoid trying to multi-task.

Post Thanks / Like

When I was in school one of the best books I came across on the topic is

The Relaxation and Stress Reduction Workbook by Martha Davis and Matthew McKay

Mental health outpatient centers often use the techniques in it

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Ah, thanks for posting that. I`m gonna recommend the Davis/McKay book to my BFF, who deals with stress fairly often. I consider discernible stress to be the Devil, but it seems that a lot of people experience it frequently.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me know what she thinks of it...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    Let me know what she thinks of it...
    Don`t hold your breath, she hardly *ever* reads anything I recommend, it`s sorta turned into a "throw at wall, see what sticks" situation.

I still make those recommendations though, if only so I`m doing the Right Thing.

Anyhow, I`m glad the reference is on this thread, never know who might benefit from it. There are *so* many books/etc. on such subjects that knowing which ones are worthwhile is really valuable.

Post Thanks / Like

This is one that’s been actually used in the field so I’m betting it will be beneficial

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt!

Per usual, my approach to the subject was, uhm...just right for me, but not something I`d expect others to do.

EDIT: If I can find that at the Library when it opens back up, I`ll probably read it myself. Hey, the more you know the more you know. And the stuff you don`t *think* will benefit you usually does

Post Thanks / Like

Checking back in to share that not having access to gym/pool has taken a toll.. not physically (eating clean), but mentally.
    I don`t enjoy body weight exercises and I miss the high level of physical exertion.

Not much stress to quelch right now after the first few weeks..
    I think I`m going to need to drive my SUV into a big parking lot and start pushing it a few yards to "get it".
    Living in a condo too, so the closest I`ve gotten was climbing 30 stories before tapping out.

Hate running, so not going to do that, might shift focus to building endurance..

Post Thanks / Like

BMWWW- Hey, I`d been wondering how you`re doing! Glad you posted an update even if it`s not what you`d like to be saying.

I sure sympathize with how you miss those, uhm..."real workouts". Yeah, bodyweight stuff doesn`t do it for me either, other than some Core stuff and chins/pullups (and even those get old without added weight).

I do like the sound of running the stairs though I too hate running..don`t do it unless necessary IRL...but "sorta running" up stairs would suit me just fine, almost like the StairMaster. Yeah, 30 stories, that sounds great!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow 30 stories! I too am not a runner. I’m far too concerned about my knees since my dad has two pretty bad ones but if you can’t get out and exercise like you normally do, sounds like you’re finding a good substitute.

Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread Information