Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Supper I made tonight

So, my camera still sucks, but a few weeks ago I bought an Ooni Koda, a propane fueled pizza oven. it gets to 932f and you can make Neaopolitian style pizza in it in 90 seconds. I cannot find the 00 flour needed to make such pizzas. I did buy a 55# bag of high gluten and have been making NY style pizzas. I made 4 pies tonight, this one for a friend. Cooked it for maybe 4 1/2 minutes at around 650-700f. Made the dough yesterday and let it cold ferment in the fridge for 20 hours. WAY WAY WAY better tasting than anything I could do in my regular oven. I`ve made about uh, 16 pizzas since I got the oven, my few roommates have been helping me dial in my dough and cooking by eating a lot of pizza and giving me feedback. Still got a lot to learn, but the pie I ate today imho was better than any I can get around me. Which isn`t saying much lol, but it`s pretty remarkable how easy it is for someone with no real pizza making experience to make such a tasty pizza with an oven like this. Also a pic of my cart with the oven and a stand mixer on it. I`ve been mixing up a batch of dough every few days when I wake up, then ball it up and toss it in a fridge for a day. Tomorrow I`m going to make a batch I`ll let ferment for 3 days. And yes, once everything is off the top of the prep table I cleaned it with Ech20. I didn`t know where my kitchen cleaner was and that was the 1st thing I could find lol.

Supper I made tonight-pizza.jpg

Supper I made tonight-pizza_cart.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes bigltc, BudgetPlan1, Tc99m, Coleroad liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So last night I went to the store to get fancy cheese with the intentions of making 3 pizzas. I grated the cheese up and was all ready, when my oven wouldn`t turn on because the propane tank was empty. It was late so there was nothing I could do. I was sad sad sad because I had dough that had been fermenting in the fridge for 3 days so it would have been extra good. I looked around the kitchen and saw tortilla chips. I already had cheese grated so BOOM nachos. Easy to make and delicious.

whole milk mozzarella
    picante provolone
    queso quesadilla (Mexican cheese)
    sharp cheddar
    parmesan reggiano
    a small handful of crumbled creamy blue cheese
    a large amount of sliced pickled jalapenos

I`ve eaten nachos a thousand times in my life, never thought to put blue cheese on them. But those were the cheeses I planned to use for my white pizza so i figured I`ll try it. If you like blue cheese it`s outstanding on nachos. Definitely unexpected to bite into nachos and taste it though. If you don`t like blue cheese you would have hated those bites lol. Also picante provolone (aged provolone) is another I would never think to put on nachos, but man it was flavorful. The dusting of parmesan reggiano pushed it over the edge. There`s no wrong cheese to make Nachos with, just some that people generally use. I was out of my ghost pepper cheddar or I would have kicked them up a few notches.

I usually like carne asada or chicken on them, but these were good as is. For size reference, that`s a 16" pizza pan they`re on. And I`m almost embarassed to admit it, but I ate them all by myself. I did break it up into a few sessions over 2 hours, so I`m slightly less of a glutton. The calorie count for the chips alone was probably 500, I can`t even imagine the cheeses lol.

Supper I made tonight-nachos.jpg
    Likes Coleroad, Tc99m, bigltc liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Nice!!!!
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology
    Likes quebert liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ny Style crust, fermented in the fridge for 48 hours. Mozzarella+Tillamook sharp cheddar, pepperoni and instead of tomato sauce, olive oil with garlic powder and red pepper flakes. My pizza oven was a little too hot, i think 700f`ish so the bottom was a bit over charred. Didn`t stop me from eating 3/4th of it in about 10 minutes lol. (it was 12") the middle was chewy and the crust had a nice bite to it. When I pulled it out the oven I drizzled it with Mike`s Hot Honey. Everyone seems to be raving about it. It`s chili infused honey, never had it before today. But I`ll be putting it on all my pizzas for the foreseeable future. And cornbread, waffles, chicken, and whatever else I make. It would be dynamite as a glaze on bacon (writing that down now so I don`t forget) It`s towards the low end of the heat spectrum imho. But the kick from the chilis mixed with the sweetness is just awesome. It`s definitely noticeable, and add`s an interesting layer as you don`t expect to eat honey and it be spicy at all. The pepperoni`s all cupped up and were filled with pools of pork grease. I don`t mind grease, but maybe next time I`ll microwave the pepperoni`s for 15 seconds and pat them down so they`ll be a little less greasy. Pools of pork grease are delicious don`t get me wrong

Cooked it 6 and a half minutes in my pizza oven. Best investment I`ve made in a long long time. By the 4th batch of pizzas I made they were already coming out better than the pizza places around here. I`m a decent cook, not really so much when it comes to baking though. If I can make pizzas neighbors are telling me they`d buy and are better than anything they`ve had in a long time. Yeah pizza ovens are legit for anyone to have and with the right flour you can do 60-90 second Neapolitan pizzas.

Supper I made tonight-pizza.jpg
    Likes SNP209 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good to see another pizza geek. What are you using for your pizza oven? 700 sounds awesome. My oven only gets to 550 but I still get a decent pie. My grill does 650 but my crust burns up more than I like.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Good to see another pizza geek. What are you using for your pizza oven? 700 sounds awesome. My oven only gets to 550 but I still get a decent pie. My grill does 650 but my crust burns up more than I like.
    I have an Ooni Koda, I made maybe 5 or 6 pizzas in a home oven and after awhile just kinda wanted something better. Oddly enough a few days after I bought mine, every Ooni was sold out and back ordered for months. It gets to 932f, but I don`t have 00 flour, so I crank it down into the 600`s and make NY style with some high gluten. I made a few in my regular oven that were pretty good, but I never could go above 500f and didn`t have a stone to bake them on. They come out a lot better, and in my oven I had to preheat for like an hour, here 15`ish minutes and I`m good to go. I want to get a Koda 16 now so I can make bigger pies or just have more room to work with. I still love love love detailing, but food is one of my favorite things so I`m into the pizza thing too. And one day I`d love to have a huge 70x70 oven in my backyard where I could cook like 6 pizzas at the same time. I didn`t know much about making pizzas, I found pizzamaking.com which is the pizza forum equivalent of here. And this is where I learned most of what I know about detailing. I have a sourdough starter in my fridge that just matured, so my next thing will be figuring out how to make a good sourdough pizza.

The people around me I`ve been making test pizzas for all want more, and a few even said they`d pay, so I`m going to set up a renegade pop up pizza shop outside my house a few nights a week from 4-9 and see if I can sell around 24 pizzas a night. And I`ll use whatever money I make to buy a nice polisher and all the cool detailing products so I can be like my heroes BudgetPlan1 & TheGuz.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah bigger pies are definitely more legit looking. I just got a 17” stone for my oven. I’d love a dedicated oven outside but space is an issue for now. I’ve toyed with the idea how of hacking my oven for higher temps but I seem to get decent results at 550

Here is a recent pie, about 6:50 cook time for a 16”:

Likes PA DETAILER, quebert liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yum!
    2018 Chevy Colorado ZR2
    www.autiopia.org
    Thanks Dan thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

550`s good for a NY style. 16-18"`s perfect for a NY style. For the size you made the only thing an oven like mine would be better for is preheat time would be a lot lower. Mine`s really made for Neaopolitian style, which are a lot smaller than the one you made. I love a good NY pizza, I love a Neo too. I love Detroit and Sicilians, hell I just love pizza Well, I`m not a huge fan of Chicago, way too much sauce for me.

Unless you have some crazy high end home oven I`m going to guess 16`s the biggest you can make in it? I wanted to do an 18" in mine last year and found out it wasn`t gonna fit I would eat half of yours in 1 sitting, nice browning spots from the cheese, and I see pools of grease in the cupped up pepperoni. That is a delicious looking pizza sir. One thing I REALLY like about my pizza oven, the legs fold up and I can carry it under 1 arm. I`d love a huge brick oven backyard one, but for the price the Ooni`s are wonderful. I did make a batch of 90 second Neapolitan`s with 00 flour and they came out nice. 60-90 seconds to bake a legit pizza still blows my mind. Of course with a temp of 932f just 10 seconds to long and you could have a completely black crust lol. 6 minute NY bakes are much more forgiving.
    Thanks Dan thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    When I pulled it out the oven I drizzled it with Mike`s Hot Honey. Everyone seems to be raving about it. It`s chili infused honey, never had it before today. But I`ll be putting it on all my pizzas for the foreseeable future. And cornbread, waffles, chicken, and whatever else I make. It would be dynamite as a glaze on bacon (writing that down now so I don`t forget) It`s towards the low end of the heat spectrum imho. But the kick from the chilis mixed with the sweetness is just awesome.
    If you like sweet and spicy, see if you can find this out there. It`s a nice balance of sweet and heat. We`ve been putting it on tons of stuff lately, most recently some coconut shrimp and it was awesome!

Post Thanks / Like

550`s good for a NY style. 16-18"`s perfect for a NY style. For the size you made the only thing an oven like mine would be better for is preheat time would be a lot lower. Mine`s really made for Neaopolitian style, which are a lot smaller than the one you made. I love a good NY pizza, I love a Neo too. I love Detroit and Sicilians, hell I just love pizza Well, I`m not a huge fan of Chicago, way too much sauce for me.

Unless you have some crazy high end home oven I`m going to guess 16`s the biggest you can make in it? I wanted to do an 18" in mine last year and found out it wasn`t gonna fit I would eat half of yours in 1 sitting, nice browning spots from the cheese, and I see pools of grease in the cupped up pepperoni. That is a delicious looking pizza sir. One thing I REALLY like about my pizza oven, the legs fold up and I can carry it under 1 arm. I`d love a huge brick oven backyard one, but for the price the Ooni`s are wonderful. I did make a batch of 90 second Neapolitan`s with 00 flour and they came out nice. 60-90 seconds to bake a legit pizza still blows my mind. Of course with a temp of 932f just 10 seconds to long and you could have a completely black crust lol. 6 minute NY bakes are much more forgiving.
    Yeah I love all types but the crust is the star for me and Chicago just doesn’t do it for me. Keep us updated with your journey. Since I got the bigger stone the other one is going to get some use on the grill. As much as I like pizza my AC has a heck of a time fighting with a 550 degree oven!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice warm day like today is a good reason to grill a pizza.

Likes PA DETAILER, quebert liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all, I got a new cooking toy so I thought I`d update with a few pics from my cook today. Toy`s a Masterbuilt Gravity Series 560, it`s a gravity fed charcoal smoker/grill.

Cooked a rack of spareribs for 5 hours at 235, charcoal + 3 chunks of apple wood and 2 hickory. 3 hours uncovered, 1.5 hours wrapped, 30 minutes foil opened with sauce applied. I used Mike Lambert`s Sweet Rub `O Mine for the rub, and his Sweet Sauce `O Mine for the saucing. When I wrapped I put some butter and sprinkled some light brown sugar. I am not a BBQ`er (at all) still learning, but this is what all the pitmasters seem to do so I tried it. Absolutely outstanding, I think maybe I sprayed them a few times too many with the apple cider vinager + water mix because I was parinoid they would be dry, so the bark wasn`t exactly what I expected. But this is the 1st time I`ve made ribs on it. An with the Wifi I could check my phone and get the ambient temp at any time. Wasn`t worried about the meat temp, but I was curious how accurate the grill`s PID is. I am impressed at how it stayed +/- 5 degrees for most of the cook. I also put an Inkbird probe in so I could verify the reading from the smokers built in sensor. Both were almost exact the entire cook. The technology they have blows me away. I remember the few times I cooked on a Webber, I remember spending forever trying to maintain the temp exactly where I wanted. it was a ton of work lol. And it didn`t have digital controls so I had no idea I just had to eyeball or use a meat stick thermometer. This goes from 160 to 700f. Can hit 700 in I think 13 minutes. I plan to do some rib eyes soon and sear them at 700. Anywho, it`s cool a$$ toy for sure, and for the 1st rack of ribs I ever smoked they were damn good. So easy even a monkey could do it. NO way in hell could I have made ribs come out like this on a Webber lol. I plan to do an overnight pork butt soon. Was also impressed a 4.5lb meaty rack of ribs were only $10.50 at Aldi`s. That`s a pretty damn awesome store.

I also did a spiral ham for Easter, couldn`t have been easier as they`re already cooked so you`re just getting it to temp. Everyone loved the smokiness.

Supper I made tonight-ribscooking.jpg

Supper I made tonight-ribsdone.jpg

Supper I made tonight-smoke-ring.jpg
    Likes bob m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

What`s more American than a juicy double Bacon cheese burger?
    A juicy double Bacon cheese burger with glazed doughnuts for the bun.

The legend behind this burger`s it was either a favorite of deceased R&B singer Luther Vandross, or it was in fact his own creation. To many it sounds gross, and it is definitely a weird creation. But I find there`s something oddly satisfying about it. It`s sweet, it`s savory and it`s something you`re only gonna find in good ole `Merica!

It would have been much better with home made, or Krispy Kreme, or at least some smaller doughnuts. I could have cut one in half, but I decided to go full Luther here. I made small 2.5oz patties and smashed them over blazing heat so they came out with a nice crust, but were still juicy in the middle. And instead of 2 slices of Bacon per patty, I just put 2 on top - everything in moderation! lol. This is typically something you only see at county fairs and an occasional baseball stadium. Not an item I`d want very often, but I was craving a doughnut and something savory so this hit the spot.

Supper I made tonight-luther.jpg
    that is hilarious.....that’s like a prison last supper before the DP

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by William_Wallace View Post
    that is hilarious.....that’s like a prison last supper before the DP
    Must really have something to do w L Vandross cuz that`s what they`re called here. Tasty, but crazy messy Supper I made tonight

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information