Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tbt

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tbt

just found old bottle of blue coral my father used back in his day

Post Thanks / Like

Reason I drive a mustang was a 88 fox body 5.0GT was my “that’s my car” back in Jr high. 0-60 in 6.5 seconds? Lighting. 225 HP.... 300lb torque? Insane! Never gonna top that. 14.5 1/4 mile times!

I was from the era where watts were as important as HP. Pioneer CD player, MBquartz separates and 6x9’s 2 12 inch Fosgates with a Fosgate punch 150hd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Reason I drive a mustang was a 88 fox body 5.0GT was my “that’s my car” back in Jr high. 0-60 in 6.5 seconds? Lighting. 225 HP.... 300lb torque? Insane! Never gonna top that. 14.5 1/4 mile times!

I was from the era where watts were as important as HP. Pioneer CD player, MBquartz separates and 6x9’s 2 12 inch Fosgates with a Fosgate punch 150hd.

Had a 1990 LX 5.0, first car I ever bought new. Yep, 225hp was pretty good back then. Maybe not so mind-bendingly fast but it sure sounded good.

Ford sure does know how to make an engine sound good; the 2008 & 2013 Mustang GT`s we had also sounded amazing, more so with Bassani`s on `em. Everyone preferred their sound over the 2004 Corvette w headers and aftermarket exhaust. LS motors always sounded a bit less authoritative, guess the somewhat odd firing order has something to do with it.

Not really `allowed` to buy Mustangs anymore.Tbt
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I assume that "tbt" means Things Back Then or Times Back Then.
    I had a new black `77 Mercury Monarch (Ford Grenada/Lincoln Versailles) back in that era. Turtle Wax came out with its new PolyShell System, a consumer-applied 3-part sealant in about 1979 and it was expensive, about $20.00 for the boxed set. Remember you could buy Turtle Wax for about $2.50 a can or bottle to give some price perspective. It was hi-tech and a car-care changer back then but its price really limited its market appeal. It came with a "rejuvenator" wipe-on-wipe-off liquid that could be used after a car wash to renew the poly-look and protection. Some things never change!
    i also used Dupont`s Rain Dance and it did exactly that; bead water like crazy! I used TRC`s Resin Glaze on a used `77 Datsun 280Z I owned after it was recommended by the dealership and that was some good stuff as well for the maroon metal-flake paint it had. It is one of those vehicles that I wish I had it back and it was, as some described it, a "Japanese Jaguar" without all the English quality problems and maintenance. It had a 5-speed manual transmission, which was unique for that time, as 5-speeds were pretty much found in "exotic" sports cars only back then. The young person I bought it from had installed a CB (Citizen`s Band) radio in it to listen and communicated with truckers about where the cops were sitting for speeders. This was LONG before the era of radar detectors. Saved my bacon (no pun intended, if you know what I mean) on a few occasions. "10-4 good buddy, got your back door. Smokey sitting over the next hill." My "handle" (CB airway name to identify you)? Z-Kid.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

As we look back about `sound systems`...don`t forget "Vibra-Sonic" rear speaker gizmo. Gave you about 100 cu ft of unusable trunk space. Then those of us from the 60`s, there was `Philips 45 Record Player`.

Bill
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh...oh man, so much of the stuff mentioned in this thread is familiar to me! Fondly remembered too...not all that old stuff was junk (a pal`s funeral home cars done with Blue Coral were absolutely Autopian). Well, my BearFinder was pretty crappy compared to the FuzzBuster that replaced it by `77...not that either worked well enough to keep me licensed

Lonnie- One of the car mags I read (C&D?) did an American Touring Sedan Project on a Granada/Monarch/Versailles...IIRC the latter had rear discs instead of the usual drums) and it turned out *really* nice.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a `79 with the small diesel. Black, black half vinyl, red velour interior, T-tops, wide whites. Quite the (ob)scene!
    Cars: bringing people together

Post Thanks / Like

Here`s my 442 from 1973. 350 4bbl, turned an amazing 17.3 et in the 1/4 mile. I used to autocross it a lot. When you went to a course set up by someone with a little MG or similar size car, the only way around the tight turns was dirt-trackin`. There were days I had to scrape the rear mudflaps with a putty knife to clean off the heavy rubber deposits after an event. Paint was protected with Classic Slipstream cleaner wax (durable stuff) and interior was of course slathered with Armor-All. CCR, CSN&Y or WHO was always rockin` in the eight track.

Bill

Tbt-442autocrosser-copy.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Coatings=crack, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Lonnie- One of the car mags I read (C&D?) did an American Touring Sedan Project on a Granada/Monarch/Versailles...IIRC the latter had rear discs instead of the usual drums) and it turned out *really* nice.
    Wasn`t that a Cadillac Seville? Or maybe you`re talking about a different mag and different article. I know C/D did a Seville (back when it was on the Nova chassis), IIRC they cut out part of the front bumper and moved the battery to the trunk to improve weight distribution. I`m 99% sure I still have that issue somewhere, and 99% sure I`d never be able to find it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Had a 1990 LX 5.0, first car I ever bought new. Yep, 225hp was pretty good back then. Maybe not so mind-bendingly fast but it sure sounded good.

Ford sure does know how to make an engine sound good; the 2008 & 2013 Mustang GT`s we had also sounded amazing, more so with Bassani`s on `em. Everyone preferred their sound over the 2004 Corvette w headers and aftermarket exhaust. LS motors always sounded a bit less authoritative, guess the somewhat odd firing order has something to do with it.

Not really `allowed` to buy Mustangs anymore.Tbt
    Doh! I love these newer 5.0 but realistically if you wanna feel American muscle hopefully she’ll let you drive the VetteTbtTbt. Nice to have a couple different sports cars around...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I assume that "tbt" means Things Back Then or Times Back Then.

I believe Throw Back Thursday’s..... social media thing.

Likes Lonnie liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Doh! I love these newer 5.0 but realistically if you wanna feel American muscle hopefully she’ll let you drive the VetteTbtTbt. Nice to have a couple different sports cars around...

I much prefer the Cayman...I `make do` with the Vette on days when she wants to take the Cayman. Vette is just so big and ponderous...but it is fun on freeway on-ramps. Tbt

Actually trying to convince her to trade the Vette in on a Boxster; I`ll lose a ton on depreciation but the Boxsters/Caymans are so much more well-rounded. And FAR more comfortable.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I loved Rain Dance.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a pioneer cassette deck with Jensen 3-ways in my 72 Gran Torino 351 Cleveland in it
    washed with wisk detergent and waxed with kit or rain dance until Liquid Glass came out
    I talked on the cb radio a lot. Had a big old whip antenna mounted on the rear bumper
    had the Midland radio on a slide mount and would take in the house and run it off a Powerpack on a 1/2 wave RadioShack base antenna
    couldn’t afford a base station. This was mid to late seventies
    Those were some good times
    Likes Coatings=crack, BillE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    Wasn`t that a Cadillac Seville? Or maybe you`re talking about a different mag and different article..
    Different project..but I forget which mag did which. I do remember the various Boss Wagon projects at C&D.

The 1st Gen. Sevilles had great potential! A guy I knew back then (Bill Loughlin of Turbo Systems) built a few of them for himself and his family members, utterly killer sleepers...I wanted one!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Jack
    Here`s my 442 from 1973. 350 4bbl, turned an amazing 17.3 et in the 1/4 mile. I used to autocross it a lot. When you went to a course set up by someone with a little MG or similar size car, the only way around the tight turns was dirt-trackin`...
    That must`ve been great fun! (I`ve AutoXed a Crown Vic on tight SCCA-spec courses, loved showing the sports car crowd what Grampa`s Taxi can do.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information