Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Making Progress

Post Thanks / Like

Making Progress

Getting excited now! Looking like a garage
    Crush n run for the front of the apron coming tomorrow then I can drive in and do my 2 details on the Toyota’s. No power yet (extension cord)
    The heat wave is supposed to be gone starting Tuesday
    I’m tired of sweating
    The guy building the garage is one tough dude working in 95-100 temps and then throw humidity on that
    It still beats January and February weather though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks quebert thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Making Progress

No idea why it took 2 of each pic
    how do you delete a pic on Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Nice garage

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Nice garage, BUT I think you will find it is not deep enough. We built our a free-standing (IE, unattached to the house) garage on a city residential lot, but because of power lines in the back of the lot, we had to reduce the depth by 3 feet due to utility easement access required by city ordinance. Doesn`t sound like much, until you start "accumulating stuff" over your lifetime. Most individuals will lament of not building their garage bigger over time. But we all have limitations, either because of cost constraints or building design I(like a pre-package kit) or lot or land size.

One suggestion. Consider running 220V electrical service lines out to it. Why?? Like Tim the Tool Man Taylor says, "More power! Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh..." You never know when you may want to add a welder to your shop or "other" power tools. Or an air conditioner.

The other suggestion?? Consider having at least two fan-powered vents (not just natural air escape) in the roof line IF you are not going to add air conditioning anytime soon. Makes cooling the garage more feasible in the summer time. Chances are you will probably have the garage doors shut while detailing to keep outdoor lawn and tree debris out while doing working, so a little cooler garage is nice to have.

I also assume you did not add a floor drain because of local ordinances/building codes did not allow it or the cost to comply with those codes would have been cost-prohibitive, like the requirement of a grease and oil trap or having to connect it to a municipal storm sewer that is some distance away. I wish I could have one or two in my floor for indoor washing , BUT it was ordinance-prohibited period (unless you wanted to go before the city board , ask for ordinance variance, and prove you had the oil trap and lines to the storm laterals installed, which would have doubled the cost of the garage, plus having the system inspected by the city at their ever-increasing inspection fee every year AND having the trap emptied by a EPA-DNR certified oil recovery service!)
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

AWESOME SAUCE! What I wouldn`t give to have a setup like that. But, I live in So Cal and probably it would cost half a million dollars (I don`t have any land) So it`ll just be a dream for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice! Congratulations!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice garage! I would love a three car setup. Post pics when you get it completed. Virginia is usually a little cooler than GA, I lived in VA off and on for 6 years. It’s been hotter than I can remember here in GA. Just smokin’. Hopefully it will be cooler next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks It will have 200 amp service (separate meter)
    I’m putting a 28,000 btu window unit in it.
    its 46x28 Kinda wanted to go 32 deep but had to draw the line somewhere because of cost
    Thought about a drain but I can wash outside
    It will be insulated also
    I think it will be plenty big. Once they got the plywood up it really looked big inside

Post Thanks / Like

Not knowing how your concrete floor was poured and what kind of re-enforcement, like re-bar or wire mesh, was used, hopefully that large of an area will not crack over time. You probably do not have the seasonal temperature extremes that we do in Wisconsin nor will your floor be exposed to the salt used on roads for winter snow de-icing. The ensuing brine that drips off from cars parked in my garage ended up in small cracks that formed from the inevitable heaving underneath my floor, causing more cracking. It also will eat your garage door track rails at the bottom, the bottom rollers, and the door panels themselves IF the floor has been properly sloped to run water to the front opening of your garage. I should of had small groves formed in the wet concrete when it was poured to channel this water away. Also, not knowing how your floor was troweled, if it is somewhat smooth, it can become major slip/fall hazard when it is raining or snowing and you step into your garage from outside. Just be aware of these things with your floor. Your pictures do not show your floor as having that nice glass-like sheen to it, so you should be OK.
    I also know there are after-market spring-loaded hinges, called the Green Hinge System, that force the garage door panels against the seals for a tighter fit and reduced heat (or cooling) lose. However, the downside is that it is VERY hard on your garage door openers and seals and ALL opener and door manufacturers will void their warranty if these are used. It`s your call. I personally know the inventor of these spring loaded hinges. I also have a brother-in-law who installed garage doors and openers for a living (he`s retired now) and informed me of the disadvantages of this spring-loaded hinge. My garage is unheated and unattached to the house, so heat lose is not an issue.

I must commend you on the 2-foot high concrete block wall at the bottom. That is an excellent design building choice to make, even if it was more expensive to do so. Keeps the bugs/termites and other vermin out and prevents weather rot for the wood sill. Also looks VERY nice with the brick exterior fascia.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had a garage that was 28 deep.....somehow I am able to survive with 22 on one side and 20 on another it`s a struggle....lol.

OP - Looking awesome...congrats, can`t wait to see it done!

Post Thanks / Like

Making Progress

I used 3500lb fiborous concrete
    They put metal key way in it
    It gets hot here and cold but not like Wisconsin
    Wont be any salt coming in
    The 2 vehicles that will be in there won’t be driven in the snow This will be my first garage
    Had a 1 car 25 years ago when I was renting a house

Post Thanks / Like

Fishroes- I bet you`re gonna *love* having a good garage

Post Thanks / Like

Howdy folks
    Had some delays but finally got the garage finished
    It is so nice to have plenty of room and all the tools you would need at your fingertips
    Haven’t got everything organized yet
    Did my “spring “ detail on the Tundra a couple days ago
    So much easier in the garage although my lower back was sore as crap when I was done
    Only did the paint.
    Saw a fly land on it and it slid off
    Lol!! Thanks Jescar powerlock
    Went to start the pressure washer to wash the truck before detailing and it wouldn’t start
    Didn’t have any spark
    Just used it a week ago
    After troubleshooting several things with ohm meter, spark plug boot was bad
    Would’ve never guessed that
    Here’s some pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM, rlmccarty2000, Nizmo, mc2hill liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Now that is awesome Fishroes! Congrats to your new hangar LOL. Must be amazing to setup such a nice own garage.

/ Tony

Post Thanks / Like

Fishroes- Hey, that *IS* progress! I bet it`s great to have the shop usable.

And yeah, that`s odd about the pressure washer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information