Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Well I found it amusing

I guess it wouldn`t be a good time to talk about Marine Corps boot camp experiences---
    Jay
    Likes grisby, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Ridicule and verbal abuse do hurt people. Sometimes permanently...
    Just read a study (done at King`s College) showing that chronic bullying alters adolescent brain development, resulting in stunted growth of certain areas (the left putamen and left caudate). Significant, measurable structural change...damage...to areas of the developing brain involved in movement and learning; those areas end up smaller than they are in "normal" people. This puts quantifiable data into the mix, reinforcing the `10 study that found broader correlations between brain development and verbal abuse.

So much for "words can`t hurt".
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Coleroad, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I read that too and believe that developmental issues result from repeated instances of bullying. People hold on to those experiences their whole life and now there are physical reasons as to why.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs, BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    People hold on to those experiences their whole life and now there are physical reasons as to why.
    Undoing that kind of imprinting is sometimes possible (BTDT), but it takes some real doing, and resources that aren`t commonly available. Maybe that`ll change if enough people start taking the whole thing seriously.

But some of the damage (e.g., that resulting from developmental interruptions at a crucial time, like right before the Big Neural Shedding happens) is simply forever. There`s just no way to go back and redo certain phases of development

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn`t care less who is or is not offended by the picture (1st post)........it`s funny!
    I`ll never understand the "Bully" thing either. When I was a kid I fought back and wouldn`t put up with that crap for one second. If I got my arse whooped I licked my wounds and challenged them again until I won. At that point I was left in peace because the bully was now afraid. It`s gotten me this far.
    No offence is intended to anyone, it`s just the way I grew up and served me for 70 years.

Old Buzzard

Post Thanks / Like

RTexasF- Glad you didn`t suffer permanent damage (even just "minor" physical stuff that`s still an issue decades later) from trying to fight back against somebody much bigger, of vastly superior fighting skill, who wouldn`t stop when you were down for the count. Who had friends who joined in.

Sure, I could tear him...and them.. to pieces today, but when it mattered that simply wasn`t possible.

EDIT: the above ignores the fact that everybody has the RIGHT to not be subjected to violence. Period. If somebody doesn`t want to engage in fights, or even in verbal altercations, that person has the right to be left alone. Especially children. This is supposed to be a CIVILization.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1, SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

On Dave Chapelle`s new Netflix special he talks about the people being born in the wrong body. He said what if felt he was Chinese but born in his black body. Obviously Chapelle isn`t good for sensitive people, but the bit was hilarious to me. I don`t have a problem with Bruce or anyone along those lines. I couldn`t imagine feeling like I was born the wrong gender, it`s very sad. But, if you don`t have a problem with foul language and aren`t offended easy, go on Netflix, or YT has a clip of just the part I`m talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quebert View Post
    ..I couldn`t imagine feeling like I was born the wrong gender, it`s very sad..
    I never even considered this topic until I read about it in the Burke series of novels by Andrew Vachss back in the `80s (yeah, the 1980s, this isn`t really new after all). As a character in one book said "I don`t know from being trapped in the wrong body, but I do understand TRAPPED". That really resonated with me and got me rethinking some things. For that matter, his writings got me to rethink all *sorts* of things.

Post Thanks / Like

the above ignores the fact that everybody has the RIGHT to not be subjected to violence. Period. If somebody doesn`t want to engage in fights, or even in verbal altercations, that person has the right to be left alone. Especially children. This is supposed to be a CIVILization.
    I completely agree however it`s just not realistic in our world. Rights of all kinds are violated on a daily basis world wide. It is sad but true.

Post Thanks / Like

RTexasF- I`m still trying to be an Idealist about it...which is sure a lot easier now that I`m, uhm... secure in my environment Not that I walk around in Condition White or anything...

What was it Dylan said?..."The world is still run by Violence, but it`s best not to mention it" or words to that effect.

On the brightside, apparently people are taking the whole Bullying Thing more seriously these days. People are now regularly incarcerated for stuff they got away with on a daily basis 40 years ago, teachers get fired for things they ignored/condoned, etc. etc. I see it as the upside to all the touchy-feely [stuff] that I still sometimes about (until I remember what happened back then..).

Heh heh, per usual when I seem to be disagreeing with somebody here, more likely than not IRL you and I would sit there nodding our heads and seeing eye-to-eye. And I`m genuinely envious that you were able to fight back effectively (I`d never even tried to throw a punch until I was in my teens, when I tried to fight back my persecutors found it amusing).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information