Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: QD for shoes?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: QD for shoes?

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Plus button down collars just look dumb. I’ve never understood why they even exist.
    They were the original "polo shirts". The buttons keep the collar from getting all out-of-place during vigorous activities. I wear them as casual shirts with khakis, maybe with a sportcoat/blazer every now and then.

Heh heh, my shirtmaker now offers button-downs. Same guy who once expressed dismay that I`d wear my Submariner with his shirts...now that fewer people are buying his stuff I guess he`s finally changed with the times, even admits that yeah..he was being a [jerk] when he said my "sport watch" was too casual for *HIS* shirts.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been thinking about putting stuff on the soles...I`d worry about it either making them slick (already a problem with newer soles, at least on some surfaces) or transferring to whatever I`m walking on (e.g., carpet/rugs).

But are we talking rubber or leather soles here?

Post Thanks / Like

The Sole Guards for women’s shoes are meant for leather soles. I don’t get ugly pock marks on non leather soles.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I glanced at this thread a couple of days ago and the title sort of stuck in my brain.
    Yesterday I was slipping on my blue leather boot style casual shoes and noticed they were a bit dirty and dusty.
    A quick wipe with a damp cloth cleaned them up fine. Then I glanced over at my detailing cart and there, hanging on the side, was a bottle of CarPro Perl mixed 4:1.

Yup, CarPro Perl. The `L` means `Leather` so I grabbed a soft application rag, gave the rag a couple of spritzes and gave the shoes a wipedown.

The ladies at the food store gave the shoes a double take and second looks because they looked so good. So, I`ll be giving the shoes a second coat this afternoon.

And the best benefit of all, ------- no sling. OK, OK, OK, I`m smiling a bit but the CarPro Perl really did work well at 4:1. Heck, I might even try 3:1 next time.

Post Thanks / Like

I have PERL. Maybe I’ll use it on my driver shoes when they need it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Plus button down collars just look dumb. I’ve never understood why they even exist.
    I agree. To me they look stuffy, maybe it’s just images from 80s sitcoms.

Thanks accumulator for the lesson on why they exist. I’ve always wondered.

Reminds me I need to return one I got by accident. Picture online did NOT show the buttons!

Post Thanks / Like

Gee, I wear nothing but them and Polo shirts. I’d feel weird without them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    The Sole Guards for women’s shoes are meant for leather soles..
    I`m reminded of the friction material some....dancers....use on the soles of their shoes (or at least they used to back when I was younger).

Quote Originally Posted by JohnZ3MC
    The ladies at the food store gave the shoes a double take and second looks because they looked so good. So, I`ll be...
    The ladies are the ones most likely to notice that all right

Post Thanks / Like

LOL I made sure my shoes were wiped down when I went food shopping. I sure looked out of place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    To me [button-downs] look stuffy..
    And to think I consider them way too informal, not "stuffy ENOUGH"! Heh heh heh...

What about the ones with the buttons hidden? They`re a bit of a hassle to do, but they don`t show and they keep the collar looking nice during activities.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    LOL I made sure my shoes were wiped down when I went food shopping. I sure looked out of place.
    Yeah, I often look like I beamed down from, uhm...some other reality.

I basically keep a pair of jeans just to wear when anything else would look out of place; any more I kinda feel like I`m putting on a costume when I wear them.

If I dress (my version of) normally at certain venues I simply look like I don`t belong there or I`m overdressed or somesuch. The local Stihl dealer is the worst, to get decent service I *must* wear work wear (including work boots) or they`ll simply ignore me and wait on more casually dressed guys first..."die, yuppie scum!" just radiates off them unless I`m dressed like, uhm...their other patrons. They don`t even attempt to be civil (I bet they have to work at their facial expressions to display such disdain), act like they`re doing me a favor to take my $. Same employees literally don`t recognize me when I dress in work clothes, they`re as nice as can be then

Post Thanks / Like

Wow that’s the first I’m hearing of being discriminated against for dressing *nicely*. Guess I better wear my oil changing jump suit if I were to go to such a place.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    And to think I consider them way too informal, not "stuffy ENOUGH"! Heh heh heh...

What about the ones with the buttons hidden? They`re a bit of a hassle to do, but they don`t show and they keep the collar looking nice during activities.
    What are you guys doing to get your collars out of whack, wrestling in these shirts? Going to the gentlemen`s club?

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yeah, I often look like I beamed down from, uhm...some other reality.

I basically keep a pair of jeans just to wear when anything else would look out of place; any more I kinda feel like I`m putting on a costume when I wear them.

If I dress (my version of) normally at certain venues I simply look like I don`t belong there or I`m overdressed or somesuch. The local Stihl dealer is the worst, to get decent service I *must* wear work wear (including work boots) or they`ll simply ignore me and wait on more casually dressed guys first..."die, yuppie scum!" just radiates off them unless I`m dressed like, uhm...their other patrons. They don`t even attempt to be civil (I bet they have to work at their facial expressions to display such disdain), act like they`re doing me a favor to take my $. Same employees literally don`t recognize me when I dress in work clothes, they`re as nice as can be then
    I get the same treatment at the auto parts store when dressed nicely. Can`t tell you how many times I`ve been questioned on what I`m buying and why I actually need it. I`ve had some nice arguements too. If I come covered in grease, no issues.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- That`d be *exactly* the way to get great service there. Weird (to me) thing is that they`re located very close to me, nice area where a lot of people dress decently. The salesmen in the front of the business are fine, it`s just the folks (guys and gals both) in their Service/Parts Dept. who discriminate against the apparently well-to-do.

Dan- Heh heh, think "training" of the Tactical variety for one thing Although the shirts I wear for such activities are usually *not* button-downs, but rather regular straight collars. Go figure.. Of course, these days most people think that the button-downs are "dressy" and trainers who don`t know me would make unwanted assumptions....

BUT...consider that my father always wore nice (starched and pressed) "work clothes" for yard work, and always wore a necktie at the dinner table, even on weekends. The world I grew up in was kinda formal by today`s standards, and I for one miss that.

And yeah...I often stop at the local Advance on my way to bfast, and it`s like "nice clothes = clueless" to them..."can I help you choose the right motor oil?" They`ve even suggested that I don`t know what I need! When I explain "it`s for an Audi" they act like "oh, that explains so much!"

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine schooling *them* about proper motor oil for your cars let alone detailing products.
    Thanks Dan thanked for this post

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information