Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: QD for shoes?

Post Thanks / Like

QD for shoes?

Accumulator, that’s really too bad you don’t do RL. I recall you talking about Bills Khakis and Hickey Freeman. Unfortunately, the HF store in Saint Augustine closed a while back. I never did get to try on much of their stuff but I do have Bills Khakis. High quality, indeed!

I have a pair of Bruno Magli shoes I’ve been using neutral colored shoe polish on but after reading this thread I’m going to try some detailing products. Reminds of the old song”A Shine on Your Shoes” Give Your Shoes a Shine!
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: QD for shoes?

Bill D- I use "Neutral" shoe cream from Allen Edmunds on some of mine, but that would be a good color to try the Detailing stuff on.

While my disinclination to wear RL is, uhm...kinda philosophical and definitely subjective in that specific-to-me sense (and again, I think the world of the guy), the only time I tried on a RL Polo it didn`t fit any better than a Lacoste one anyhow. I do think his Purple Label stuff is of very nice quality, but for that kind of $ I won`t buy OTR (which would never fit without complete recutting anyhow).

And yeah, I`m only now finally replacing some of the Bill`s that I bought in the *1990s*! That`s a good long run for casual wear IMO, and guys who`d wear something with a little wear would say they still have decades left to go (hope somebody at the Goodwill Store feels the same way).

Gee, hope HF isn`t going under, not that I should need to replace such stuff in this lifetime...can`t wear Oxxford jackets for the life of me (though I love their pants), dunno what I`d get if not HF.

Post Thanks / Like

I gotta look for HF elesewhere. Maybe a Neiman Marcus, but that store is an event to get to from here. I just buy Polo greatly discounted off the rack. I too only replaced some clothes from the ‘90s recently. My shoes however, I expect will last even a few more decades more!

Post Thanks / Like

Kiwi express shine sponge. Thing is magic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I gotta look for HF elesewhere. Maybe a Neiman Marcus, but that store is an event to get to from here.
    That`s where I got mine after my haberdasher closed, and yeah...it`s an event for me too.

I just buy Polo greatly discounted off the rack. I too only replaced some clothes from the ‘90s recently. My shoes however, I expect will last even a few more decades more!
    With proper care, good clothing and footwear can last a very long time! My dress shoes are *all* from the `80s (most of my nicer casual shoes too) and I have zero expectation of ever replacing any of them.

Old saying in response to Q about "where do you buy your suits?" goes: "I don`t `buy` suits, I *have* suits". And I`ve heard more than once that "the best tuxedo is the one you inherited from your grandfather".

Quote Originally Posted by MattPersman
    Kiwi express shine sponge. Thing is magic
    What kind of look does it give? I kinda expect such approaches to leave a, uhm...artificially shiny..appearance, if that makes any sense. But I`m sure not opposed to modern stuff making life easier!

Post Thanks / Like

QD for shoes?

I just discovered a product called Sole Guards. They are adhesive material that stick to the bottom of your shoes. They are made from Xpel technology!

Unfortunately it looks like they only make them for women’s shoes. Maybe eventually they will make them for men too. I think I would be interested in them because I hate beat up looking soles of dress shoes

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe use back to black on the soles of shoes

Post Thanks / Like

Back to Black will probably color the soles of the shoes nicely but won’t erase the pitting from walking on hard surfaces like sidewalks. That’s why I was hoping they had Sole Guards for men’s shoes. I really shouldn’t worry though, I wear dress shoes like once a year if that, given how casual everything is today.

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, I just get `em resoled/reheeled when they need it (and I do it much sooner than later, gotta avoid that "down at the heels" look ). Keeping the edges nice is enough work on the soles for me!

Gotta admit I never paid much attention to the soles getting damaged, maybe had them resoled over that four or five times at most, though I`ve sure worn out a lot of `em. I`m kinda a frequent flyer at the AE and JM recrafting Depts.

It can be kinda a fine line between "dress" and "nice casual" shoes, but I`m assuming we differentiate by leather/rubber soles...though I do have a few casual ones with leather soles too.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah looks like resoleing is the best option. Heck, I’ve had to have two pairs of casual shoes re adhered but they are fine now.

Most of my dress shoes have rubber(?) inlets on the soles so they stay looking good for a real long time.

Post Thanks / Like

Lots of footwear you might not expect can be resoled. My one pair of hiking boots is on IIRC its third rebuild. Same ol` same ol`...most quality footwear can last a lifetime.

Gotta admit that I`m an utter traditionalist when it comes to dress shoes; all-leather soles only for those. Yeah, I know Just me being me... It`s like my refusal to wear a button-down shirt with a suit because it`s far too casual.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t wear shirts without a tie with a suit either. If I must go tieless, I might just wear a sport coat instead. I must admit I only wear any of those twice a year tops since living down here.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I don’t wear shirts without a tie with a suit either. If I must go tieless, I might just wear a sport coat instead..
    I was like that for ages, but now I do sometimes go tie-less with a suit, depends on the situation. Eh, I`m pretty much always the most formally dressed guy in the room anyhow so it`s not like it looks casual when I do it. There can be a little of a, uhm...statement..to not wearing a tie in some settings in that a suit is not a "businessman`s uniform" for me any more, e.g., my broker pretty much has to wear a suit and tie in his office, but I can wear whatever I want any time (and I *choose* to wear a business suit in the business district during business hours..but I can wear/not the tie as I please). It`s like the way car salesmen are trained to *not* dismiss the guy who`s wearing a polo shirt at 11AM on a work day.

Post Thanks / Like

Te PBL leather coating works great on shoes.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Lots of footwear you might not expect can be resoled. My one pair of hiking boots is on IIRC its third rebuild. Same ol` same ol`...most quality footwear can last a lifetime.

Gotta admit that I`m an utter traditionalist when it comes to dress shoes; all-leather soles only for those. Yeah, I know Just me being me... It`s like my refusal to wear a button-down shirt with a suit because it`s far too casual.
    Plus button down collars just look dumb. I’ve never understood why they even exist.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information