Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: QD for shoes?

Post Thanks / Like

QD for shoes?

Is there such a thing as Quick Detailer for shoes? I`d like to quickly shine up my dress shoes without a lot of fuss, maybe spray something like a QD on a MF and quickly wipe down a shoe. Does such a product exist?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: QD for shoes?

I just found something called Master Quick Shine on Amazon. Sounds like a quicker way to shine shoes rather than getting out the can of shoe polish and brush.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve used M34 and IUDJ on my patent leather formal wear shoes with good results, but I`m staying old-school on my others.

But it wouldn`t surprise me at all if SprayWaxes/etc. were very good for this depending on how the leather is finished. I wouldn`t try it on matte/natural finishes, just on those where you`d normally use a regular shoe polish.

BTW, I`d be a bit careful with patent leather, I`m not sure just how fragile that finish is, but I suspect it`s "very" and that various solvents might make it cloudy.

Post Thanks / Like

Can’t really replace spit shining when it comes to patent leather I gather.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    I just found something called Master Quick Shine on Amazon. Sounds like a quicker way to shine shoes rather than getting out the can of shoe polish and brush.
    Heh heh, I guess most anything would be faster than doing a real spit-shine! Back when we had a local shoeshine parlor, the best guys could sometimes do mine in under 20 minutes, but I sure can`t.

I dunno Bill...looking over the Master Quick Shine stuff (and some of the reviews) makes me think "no thanks" when it comes to my footwear. I can just imagine having to send `em back to the maker for a real refinishing because I tried to fix what isn`t broken.

Sorta like a car wash I guess; I can`t just do a RW, and I need many more hours than most people to do what`s right for me, but that`s just me and other approaches work fine for others.

EDIT: my wife has a product similar to that Master Quick Shine. She`s happy with it, but she doesn`t keep her footwear to the same standards that I do.

Post Thanks / Like

I think there’s a market for more quick shine shoe products. Hopefully one will come out that can closely resemble spit shined results.

Post Thanks / Like

Actually, most of my, uhm...oh, what would you call them?!?...nice casual shoes are mostly some variety of matte/semi-gloss finish these days. They`re just a little finicky about what I use on `em, at least for the look I want.

But I agree that there`d be a big market for something good along those lines. Assuming people really still wear nice footwear (my wife and I are amazed by who *doesn`t*!), and maintain it, that is. With Shine Parlors disappearing and the way so many folks apparently are now-a-days, I can`t imagine many guys are spending hours on their shoes.

Seems that most guys just always wear shoes that I`d consider "disposable" now, even with suits. Seldom see guys wearing patents with tuxes either...the world has sorta gone Casual Friday 7/week. Well, the rest of the world that is

Post Thanks / Like

The world sure is super casual, even too casual IMHO—but this coming from someone preparing for flip flop season especially down here.

Post Thanks / Like

Bill D- Heh heh, I simply couldn`t stand it. I won`t even wear bluejeans to Denny`s, haven`t worn a t-shirt as outerwear for ages except for a few dog-outings (and I felt under-dressed doing that).

(Full disclosure: for *years* I wore nothing but Levis, black t-shirts, and engineer boots..with a black leather jacket of course. Shudder...)

Post Thanks / Like

I’m a Polo and other RL type of clothing kind of guy. I wear Polos even when walking. Most other days I wear sport shirts. Sneakers/athletic shoes only for outdoor activities,etc. Despite my,what can be considered formality, here in FL, I do enjoy the ease of just slapping on a pair of flip flops especially in the very hot and humid months.

I’ve been encountering some trouble with some older shoes delaminating at the soles. I had two pairs come apart on me so far. Thankfully there is a good shoe repair place here in town. I think our humid environment contributes to the delaminating as these shoes weren’t cheaply constructed. I still shine my shoes even if the majority of them are just drivers and boat shoes.

Post Thanks / Like

I work in a "business casual" environment, but after all my years in a coat and tie, I still like to keep all my daily shoes nice. A small bottle of McKees 37 70-30 Leather Shampoo and a natural fiber shoe brush are all it takes to keep `em decent. For an even quicker refresh, a spritz of ONR at RW dilution on the same brush works too, which I also stock in my desk for cleaning my glasses, desktop and computer.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like

I’m going to start using more car care products on my shoes. They are going to do at least as good as my shoe care stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve been using various car care leather cleaners on my leather tennis shoes for awhile. I rarely wear dress shoes anymore except to funerals. The curse of getting old.

Post Thanks / Like

Car Craft Auto Detailing Chanel on Youtube showed when he preped his suede kind of boots. He used Carpro Fabric Coating on them. And it`s lasts great in his environment as a detailer and gives him water protection from it. Maybe hard to get the spit-shine with a leather coating. But for leather shoes that you would like to be the same as when you bought them it can be a great option.

Would bet that many protection for shoes goes to find about the same chemicals in detailing protection products. Little problem with the dyed shoe polish maybe. If ONR works great I was thinking EcH2O if wanted a higher shine maybe?

Fun these off label use of car detailing products

Post Thanks / Like

I won`t trust my older (?v2.0?) version of ONR on my shoes, but it hasn`t caused any problems on household leather so I bet it`s be perfectly OK.

Bill D- Good on you for polos/wearing shirts with collars. (I don`t patronize Ralph Loren for, uhm...[Accumulator-specific reasons]..but I esteem the guy highly and much of his stuff is indeed high-quality.

And yeah, I too wear athletic shoes (only) for athletic activities.

rlmccarty2000- Good on you for dressing right for funerals. I`m often mistaken for a Funeral Home employee for wearing appropriate attire

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information