Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Let the fun begin...

Quote Originally Posted by glfnaz View Post
    They really are fun folks. We broke bread in AZ a few years back.
    He is also very generous. Proud to call him `friend`.
    Likewise my friend. Gotta get back out to AZ again, maybe January when we head out West to do the Ron Fellows Driving School outside of Vegas.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    Nope, just a lanky, long armed goofy looking guy. Big, long, monkey arms do make it easier to get to roofs when working cars.

If you`re referring to the `upgraded` Mag Ride calibrations, been somewhat of a point of contention since reveal and it was released. Not a worry for me personally as we skipped the Mag Ride option. Neat technology but if one of those shocks goes south you`re looking at $650 per from GM or $350 or so from outside sources.

Even though this is the last year for the C7 there are still some knows potential issues that GM has yet to truly address. In our case, the A8 transmission is a possible pain point, noted in this thread as being a persistent problem thru the C7 run: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-tracking.html

Kinda rolling the dice on that one, just playing the odds that it will not be an issue for us but it`s always gonna be out there, lingering.

One of the things I`m a little wary of re: the C7 is the added complexity that`s come into play in the 14 years since we bought the 2004. Kinda like washers and dryers in your home; used to be a knob and a dial or two, fixing not that big a deal but with all the electronic controls on appliances now, thing stops working and you`re likely in for $400+ to replace circuit boards/control boards and whatnot, almost making it more prudent to buy a whole new machine for $500-$600.

I dig technology and the advantages it has but sometimes feel that it`s overdone in the name of `Technology for Technology`s sake` as opposed to technology that is implemented as a result of an identified item that it could help address. Kinda feel sometimes in all areas it`s akin to putting the cart before the horse: "Hey, this wireless, predictive whatever is really cool, let`s come up with something to use it with!" as opposed to "Here`s a problem, will technology provide a (reliable) answer for it?"

Hopefully we get reasonably trouble-free life outta this car but if it starts to be an issue, it`s outta here and depreciation and $$ concerns of a `mistake` be damned. If a `fun` car becomes a PIA and is no longer `fun`, it has no purpose to me with respect to the role we bought it to play. Life`s short, ain`t got time to be mucking around with things that cause mental strife.
    I’m in total agreement. What happens in 15 years when an electronic component goes bad? Hopefully GM used the same component in several of its models. It seems all manufacturers are building stuff to barely make it through the warranty years, then the customer gets the big middle finger. I’m looking forward to electric cars that may be less complicated (maybe) since electric motors have been around for a few years.

Depreciation hits (almost) all new sports cars hard the first few years. The C7 May be hit extra hard because of the C8 that people have been waiting a lifetime for. I’ve already heard of some bigger than normal discounts on C7s. Forget about it. It’s only money. If we worried about assets depreciating we would buy much of anything. Life is too short, enjoy it while you can!
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I’m in total agreement. What happens in 15 years when an electronic component goes bad? Hopefully GM used the same component in several of its models. It seems all manufacturers are building stuff to barely make it through the warranty years, then the customer gets the big middle finger. I’m looking forward to electric cars that may be less complicated (maybe) since electric motors have been around for a few years.

Depreciation hits (almost) all new sports cars hard the first few years. The C7 May be hit extra hard because of the C8 that people have been waiting a lifetime for. I’ve already heard of some bigger than normal discounts on C7s. Forget about it. It’s only money. If we worried about assets depreciating we would buy much of anything. Life is too short, enjoy it while you can!
    One of the reasons it was time for the 2004 to go was potential parts avaliability, or lack thereof. Corvette has lotsa suppliers in the aftermarket but ya just never know.

She likes a Corvette around so wanted to get it on the last of the C7`s that are hopefully somewhat sorted out; the substantial changes with the upcoming C8/2020 model are something I want nothing to do with...nor pay for.

Big discounts on remaining C7 inventory are already hitting as of April 1, and will likely improve going forward. Eh, whatever...we wanted to order factory fresh and ready to go by Spring. Figrd there would be more discounts after we jumped in but oh well.

As we plan on keeping this car until I don`t care what its value is, depreciation is just an abstract number with little relevance. Unless it turns out to be a total disaster as far as enjoyment, plan on `using this one up `.

And if it does turn out to be a disaster or otherwise becomes a sinkhole, it`ll be a bummer in a variety of ways but certainly not tragic in the great scheme of things. And I`ll be able to go back to parking my daily driver in the garage. Glass half full and all...
    Likes SWETM, rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I didn`t realize that was you Budget I posted on fb group with. My friend had the red ZR1 torn apart on left side of building during open house. Glad you like it, top notch work and service as you would expect.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HCF View Post
    I didn`t realize that was you Budget I posted on fb group with. My friend had the red ZR1 torn apart on left side of building during open house. Glad you like it, top notch work and service as you would expect.

Weather permitting, will be done there this weekend for the C & C. The car scene down in Columbus is surprisingly large...
    Likes HCF liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Weather permitting, will be done there this weekend for the C & C. The car scene down in Columbus is surprisingly large...
    If weather is nice it`ll get good crowd for sure. Never know what you will see. Our club is meeting at QS&L at Polaris and rolling up to Ontario for meet with sister club out of Cleveland then over to Ohio state reformatory .

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by HCF View Post
    ... then over to Ohio state reformatory .

Interesting destination...neat place to visit as long as ya get to leave at the end. We did the tour a few years ago, tour guides are often former inmates.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting destination...neat place to visit as long as ya get to leave at the end. We did the tour a few years ago, tour guides are often former inmates.
    Yeah I`ve been on tour couple of times, don`t care to do it again. The clubs and people tend to use it more for the photo OP.

Post Thanks / Like

And the surprises just keep on coming...

Not only did they prepare her new Corvette like no one else could, but yesterday Margaret came home to a surprise delivery on the doorstep.

Absolutely, undeniably a first class organization from top to bottom. Twice in one week they`ve taken her breath away and brought a tear to her eye (in a good way).

Margaret certainly loves Corvettes but even more so surprise deliveries of flowers; that`s a whole `nuther level of joy for her.

This whole experience with her new car has just been so much fun from beginning to end.

Post Thanks / Like

Well done
    http://Www.gonzodetailing.com

Anything in life worth doing is worth over doing, moderation is for cowards

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by atgonzales View Post
    Well done
    Boy, I`ll say...

This was kinda *the* perfect end to the whole story. When we set out on this course of action, that being to obtain a new replacement for her beloved 2004 Corvette, I really wanted it to be a completely satisfactory, pleasant and memorable (for the right reasons) experience.

As we tend to keep toys like this for a long time (kept last one for 14+ years) it’s naturally gonna evoke memories for its entire lifespan, beginning with the process of getting it. Towards that end I wanted to make sure that all of the people and organizations we dealt with would add to that ‘story’, something that could be diminished in so many ways if things went awry….especially given the occasionally contentious process that buying a car can sometimes be.

We really got lucky with this entire affair, at no point was there any anger, impatience or frustration with any step of the process, a testament to every person and organization we dealt with. Everyone we came across was supportive of our goals and genuinely interested in what we were looking to get out of this and I think the results certainly speak for themselves. While Margaret was certainly involved in everything leading up to getting the keys to the finished vehicle, I was primarily the one who arranged, communicated and dealt with the logistics and specifics of it all. When we turned the corner in the Esoteric shop last week and she got the first glimpse of her finished car, I think it was plain for all there to see just how big of an emotional attachment she has for her Corvette; for the folks at Esoteric to recognize that and then send a rather large delivery of flowers to her personally is just kinda an indication that, beyond providing a shiny and well-protected vehicle, they truly ‘got’ how important this was to her. To me, even more impressive than the finished product was this gesture and attention to the personal side of having the work done there, directed specifically towards her. Outstanding.

Now some may look at all this as over thought, corny, fluffy nonsense and that’s perfectly fine…to each their own. I mean, really, ‘Buy Car, Get Car Shiny, Drive Car’ is what it all boils down to but for us, the journey was just as important as the destination and at no time did it ever come close to making my list of “Things that seemed like a good idea at the time…” as many well-intentioned things so often do. I actually got one right for a change…
    Likes Coleroad, Oneheadlite, SWETM liked this post
    Thanks Coleroad, SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

..This whole experience with her new car has just been so much fun from beginning to end.
    Not at all! I think it`s great that everything turned out so well.

Now some may look at all this as over thought, corny, fluffy nonsense….
    While that`s how any new vehicle purchase oughta go, often things just don`t work out that way. I`m sure glad you and your wife had everything go just right.

Post Thanks / Like

Wish I was closer to esoteric. Seams like an amazing place. Maybe the new place where everyone will get their PA products. Just hard to order things from anywhere other than AG as their customer service has been top notch.

Had a bottle of Hydrolite 2 come with top loose about a quarter spilled out. Just asked for a discount or replacement and they just refunded me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Wish I was closer to esoteric. Seams like an amazing place. Maybe the new place where everyone will get their PA products. Just hard to order things from anywhere other than AG as their customer service has been top notch.
    They`ve always been very helpful to me so I tend to buy from them if possible regardless of discounts, which they rarely have. Has the added benefit of being close enough that their $5 shipping is always `Next Day` on my doorstep. Although I see that the Tax Laws are becoming stricter everywhere with online purchases, since they`re in Ohio I`ve always been charged sales tax which helps me avoid the moral dilemma of accuracy in tax return `Use Tax` come tax time....karma and all.

The fact that they thought of Margaret and sent flowers just elevated them another notch or 2 in my book.

Last year at their Open House had the chance to talk to Travis from Polish Angel NA for a bit; really cool guy but obviously they need to get their operations in order. Such nice, easy to use stuff, certainly has a Polish Angel `look` to it that`s kinda unique. Not the most durable stuff out there but so easy to use it kinda makes up for it.

Heading down tomorrow for a bit as they`re hosting C & C in Columbus and I think I saw them toting around a 1000ml bottle of PA Cosmic when we picked up car...gonna see if I can get me one of those. Hopefully the rain holds off...

Let the fun begin...-eso_cc.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Coatings=crack, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It`s awesome how everything has turned out for you and your wife. That`s surely not something that is common these days. And thank you for shareing your experience with us! I`m really glad when reading all this experience you have had. And with the background of how you have had your last vette for a long time. I understand the sentimental thing behind it even if it`s just a car. But we get attach to things in different ways and no wrong in that. And you certainly got the over delivering from Esoteric. Also that is an awesome thing to hear how they go over the board and also listen to their customer and read in what the little things is important for that customer.

Tell your wife that has been a pleasant experience to follow your journey with her and your new vette! And wish the best ownership of your new vette for many years to come.

Hope also PA NA gets their thing together and sort this up.

/ Tony
    Likes Coleroad, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information