Post Thanks / Like
    I completed my BA in political science with a minor in economics. I never focused on a career path per se while in college because I was assuming the position of mental growth and development would justify studying what interests me. Now that has completed, and I need a CAREER not just another menial part time position as I have held in the past.

I`ve been given a conditional offer of employment with the city PD (swear in July 17) but I`m not sure if I want to do it or not. The city is pretty darn rough, and the academy they mandate is over by the state capital and has a residency requirement. I know that making upwards of $45k a year sounds good considering it would be 4x what I`ve ever brought home in a year, but the only reason I think it sounds appealing is because they pay for the academy and I get paid while training.

Meanwhile, in my area the only announcements for employment opportunities are for drivers, health care, and experienced sales/management/office positions. Outside customer service, I have no supervisory or other relevant experience. I`m starting to get disgruntled because I have links to over 40 Websites of local government/businesses and still can`t find anything. I did the Monster.com thing too.

I signed up for a local police academy that I would pay for out of pocket, but I put it on hold with the offer given by the city PD. A few of my friends went to this academy and word is that it would actually be a FUN academy unlike the other that I would have to go to. I have been beating myself up trying to keep telling myself my degree is not a waste, and even though I know so having expanded my horizons it seems if no employers give a rat’s. Welcome to the real world I guess...
    2002 Mustang GT

I like mine to shine!!! theamcguy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the real world. I have a degree in Criminal Justice, never held a job in my major, but I now run a RADAR site in Latin America. I like it pays good and it`s fun. First off forget money, you`re young you need a career. Figure out what interests you then go after an entry level job in that career field. The secret is to do more than they ask, that coupled with your degree will get you promoted. If all you want to do is work 9-5 and do the minimum to get your check, degree or no degree you`ll never get ahead. I work with other guys running RADAR sites in different locations, 26, 27, 28 years old, high school education, 3 years USAF RADAR and they are making 100K tax free. The secret, they do what it takes 24/7/365 to get the job done. A degree is not a key to making big money, hard work, desire, and talent is.
    Bill Strobel
    Owner Independent Towing
    Fayetteville, NC
    Do It Right or Don`t Do It At All!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you tried http://www.indeed.com/ ? Its a great job searcher.

"Indeed.com includes all the job listings from major job boards, newspapers, associations and company career pages - and we continue to add new sites every day."

Post Thanks / Like
    Most career paths in the corporate world do require a degree of some sort as an entry ticket. No guarantees you’ll get anywhere but it’s pretty much guaranteed you won’t without one. But, as theamcguy points out, not all lucrative jobs are in the 9-to-5 office scene.

I would not recommend a career in law enforcement unless it’s what you want to do. There are aspects to the work that are very tough on you and your family. The cops I know enjoy it though.

PC.

Post Thanks / Like
    We`ve all been in your shoes. I have a BS in Psychology...I`m a teacher. Go figure. I agree with the advice on finding something you like, get a foot in the door, then bust *** to move up in the food chain. I`m actually looking to get out of education this year and into the business world. I know that I will take a pay cut doing this, but it will catch back up. Education can`t match the business world in that department.

I still vividly recall my days fresh out of college and how GD frustrating searching for a job was with a liberal arts degree. Also maddening is the old need experience to get the job, can`t get experience til you get a job. :pullhair
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    We`ve all been in your shoes. I have a BS in Psychology...I`m a teacher. Go figure. I agree with the advice on finding something you like, get a foot in the door, then bust *** to move up in the food chain. I`m actually looking to get out of education this year and into the business world. I know that I will take a pay cut doing this, but it will catch back up. Education can`t match the business world in that department.

I still vividly recall my days fresh out of college and how GD frustrating searching for a job was with a liberal arts degree. Also maddening is the old need experience to get the job, can`t get experience til you get a job.
    "I can`t believe that we would lie in our graves wondering if we had spent our living days well." - Dave Matthews

Post Thanks / Like
    Find something you enjoy. I hate to say it but if you want to really make the cash, your only two options are Sales or Owning a Successful business. I know people in sales who make more then a lot of CEO`s or business owners. I majored in Business Managment and was planning on taking over one of the families businesses, but got into the line of work I`m in and love it. Especially when I get calls from people referred to me, that`s probably the most satsifying part having somebody ask you specifically.

Post Thanks / Like
    Take the free training. Sometimes a tougher job means you are exposed to more situations faster, and will get more experience in a shorter amount of time. In a couple of years you will have experience and be able to lateral to another department or agency. This is job#1, it can lead anywhere you want to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    1) Ask your conditional employer if you can go on some "ride-alongs" with other cops before the academy starts. That will give you a taste. Don`t waste their time and yours if you have any doubts.

2) Get in shape NOW !!!!!! I am sure you think you are in shape but figure out what their minimum requiremenst are and exceed them!!

3) A job pays the bills. A career is a life long love affair that you don`t get tired of and you rush to get to work for

4) Most cops envy the firefighters cuz they sleep on the job, work only 1 out of 3 days and they have lots of overtime ($) available - usually. Of course down side is they go inside burning buildings :soscared:

Listen to your inner voice, it won`t steer you wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by az57chevy
    1) Ask your conditional employer if you can go on some "ride-alongs" with other cops before the academy starts. That will give you a taste. Don`t waste their time and yours if you have any doubts.

2) Get in shape NOW !!!!!! I am sure you think you are in shape but figure out what their minimum requiremenst are and exceed them!!

3) A job pays the bills. A career is a life long love affair that you don`t get tired of and you rush to get to work for

4) Most cops envy the firefighters cuz they sleep on the job, work only 1 out of 3 days and they have lots of overtime ($) available - usually. Of course down side is they go inside burning buildings :soscared:

Listen to your inner voice, it won`t steer you wrong.

You are wrong on #4.

Firefighters work either a 56 hour week or a 42 hour week. 56 hours is prevalent down south, in the midwest and the west coast using a three platoon system. The 42 hour schedule is prevalent in the northeast, using a 4 platoon system.

One firefighter`s tour of duty ( a 24 hour shift) is the equivalent of a cop working 3 tours of duty, based on an cop`s 8 hour shift. While the firefighters do have dorm rooms, the "sleep" they get is nothing like the type at home in your own bed. It`s more like "catnapping". Sometimes, you do get a quiet night and a good night`s rest; others, you`re running from one call to another.

Most cops would be firefighters, but that can`t handle the "heat", that "fear of heights" thing and climb ladders!

PS: 25 years on the job this November... and still loving it!

Post Thanks / Like
    kpounds- thanks for the link, I checked it out and it seems to pull from a wide variety of sources!

Surfer- I`m pretty sure I would hate sales. I can`t imagine having a substantial portion of my income rely on someone else`s decision to purchase off of me or not.

az57chevy- 1) great idea

2) I`m working on it- each week I am adding another day of cardio, but I know there is room for improvement. I am right at the state requirements for the running, but the pushups and sit-ups I have to improve on.

3) Agreed

4) Not sure how accurate that is. Every cop I know loves being in police work, vice versa for firemen...

Gonzo0903- that seems to be inconsistent with my experiences, but maybe elsewhere this is more prevalent. I do know the firemen seem to get all the thumbs up/smiles/waves (and ballot votes for bond renewals) compared to the PD. That doesn`t bug me though :nixweiss

Thank you to everyone for their posts and suggestions. I am leaning towards turning down the conditional offer and explaining to personnel that I do not want to go into something half-hearted because it will not be fair to them or me. This will give me time to keep working on getting into better shape and prioritize what I want versus what I need.
    2002 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Perhaps the most difficult decision I have ever had to make was made earlier this week. I turned down the offer with the city PD. I just today got re-hired at a part time retail support position I held the last two years of my undergrad, and to boot I`ll make what I did when I quit. It doesn`t pay a great deal, but the hours are flexible and it should cover my bills.

I`m looking into several graduate programs for the fall. I fear that had I took the city PD position I would never have a chance to get an advanced degree. I feel like everything is "fresh" in my head right now and I am still passionate about what I study. I know even a masters degree is still no guarantee of a career, but it is a life goal of mine. I find that the more I think about this, the more I have to eliminate material comforts and pursue what I believe will make me happier when looking back after many years.
    2002 Mustang GT

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn`t it kind of depressing? I`m out of college for a couple of years and I actually really love my current job, but sometimes I feel liek I`m supposed to have accomplished so much more than I have thus far, PLUS I feel like I`ll never pay my loans off. Sigh. Is this that Quarterlife crisis thing they are always going on about on talk shows?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WSUcommuter
    Perhaps the most difficult decision I have ever had to make was made earlier this week. I turned down the offer with the city PD. I just today got re-hired at a part time retail support position I held the last two years of my undergrad, and to boot I`ll make what I did when I quit. It doesn`t pay a great deal, but the hours are flexible and it should cover my bills.

I`m looking into several graduate programs for the fall. I fear that had I took the city PD position I would never have a chance to get an advanced degree. I feel like everything is "fresh" in my head right now and I am still passionate about what I study. I know even a masters degree is still no guarantee of a career, but it is a life goal of mine. I find that the more I think about this, the more I have to eliminate material comforts and pursue what I believe will make me happier when looking back after many years.

Good for you. I think that`s a good decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just wanted to say good luck, and I hope you achieve all your dreams. A job now is a good deal, but an education is forever...You will have plenty of job opportunities...Good for you for following your education dreams, it will pay off in the end.

Thread Information