Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stop calling wheels "rims" (if you do).

Ahhh... header screws, main cap screws, water pump screws, caliper screws. makes perfect sense.
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Isn`t an automotive vehicle (Not car, according to Coatings=crack) WHEEL technically a "rim" and "tire" assembly?
    I doubt anyone would refer to a rim as a tire hub, when in essence, that is what it is.
    Semantics and technicalities aside, I will continue to use the word rim.

In mechanical engineering world of threaded fasteners, the word bolt and screw are used interchangeable, but they are different. Most mechanical savvy individuals will refer to a hex-headed "cap screw" as a bolt, but, technically it is not; it is, indeed a hex-head cap-screw, especially when you add the grade level and precision (hardness, and strength characteristics, and thread precision/fit) to it.
    Here is how I had to technically describe a common "bolt" in an engineering bill of material:
    Screw, Cap, Hex Head, 1/2-13NC-2A x 1-1/2 Lg, Grd 3, Stl, Znc Oxide
    Try verbalizing that description verbatim to the floor clerk/associate at the local hardware store and see what you get (besides a look of complete bewilderment!)
    I agree I thought it wheel was referring to the whole set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Well wether it’s a rim or a wheel. Sonax has you covered

Post Thanks / Like

What do you say to when refering to the wheel+tire?

As english is not my first language it can be confuseing with the technical words. If I use google translate on what we say to wheel+tire=? And the ? is the wheel=rim+tire. So the wheel+tire=wheel is confuseing to describe when doing what when cleaning the wheels. Then on the other hand if I where to to be useing google translate to translate the whole sentences. You would have a very confuseing reading LOL. And I`m sure you can notice in my writing that the english is not my native language. The build up of sentences is different in my swedish language. In school we start to learn english when we are 9-10 years old. And keep learning that until we graduate.

Here is a guy who moved from the US to Sweden. And doing some Youtube videos about the differences between our countries. If you are interested to see and hear about them check him out.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RBUZAHxnt0I

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    And quit calling magazines "clips" and (as Coleroad noted) engines "motors", and and and....you dadnabbed kids!

But seriously, words mean things, and IMO the broader and more precise one`s vocabulary the greater the potential for concept formation and thinking in general.
    I learned the term “clips” in the military. It was used interchangeably with magazine. Maybe because it was shorter? Or that it “clips” in? But when we talked about capacity it was always magazine. “Toss me a clip” vs “load the magazine”. Especially when we were talking about machine guns.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes
    ..[arguably]...a bolt is not a bolt unless there is a nut attached to it. So what everybody calls a bolt is really a screw.
    That`s what I was taught in Shop Class back in the `70s but my old (1959) Common Fasteners chart does *not* differentiate that way..I can`t really figure out how it *does* differentiate between `em! Now you`ve piqued my interest

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000
    I learned the term “clips” in the military. It was used interchangeably with magazine.
    What the Mil uses is good enough for me, especially since clips are awfully rare these days (excepting stripper clip packaging of bulk ammo).

I don`t *really* make a big deal out of this stuff as long as everybody knows what`s being said Heh heh, I have had Instructors rip me a new one for saying "grips" instead of "handgun stocks" and I thought it was kinda goofy-pedantic since many makers of `em name their Co.s "..Grips".

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM
    What do you say to when refering to the wheel+tire?
    In my Detailing/Maintenance Log I use the abbreviation "W/T" because I got tired of writing Wheel & Tire all the time. Wonder what people who (really) make a big deal out of such stuff do say?!?

I`m sure you can notice in my writing that the english is not my native language.
    Eh, IMO your command of English is better than that of many Americans, at least with regard to my understanding what you`re saying without rereading it a few times.
    Likes SWETM liked this post
    Thanks SWETM thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I do care about "grill"/"grille" though... those are different words for different things.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    I learned the term “clips” in the military. It was used interchangeably with magazine. Maybe because it was shorter? Or that it “clips” in? But when we talked about capacity it was always magazine. “Toss me a clip” vs “load the magazine”. Especially when we were talking about machine guns.
    Similar background here. I also noticed it depended on the age of the instructor, branch of service, and the type/size of the weapons being discussed.

For the M9 everyone said "clips". For the M4/M16, clip and magazine were used interchangeably, with the younger instructors and users of the weapons calling them magazines or "mags". When talking about missles, gun rounds, or bomb storage (aircraft carrier) on naval ships the term magazine was used. Storage for similar weapons stored on land were either magazines or bunkers.
    Likes rlmccarty2000, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Gee, I hadn`t heard "magazine" used that way since..I dunno when! Must`ve been the `70s, now I just see it in books.

Post Thanks / Like

Shoes mate, shoes.

Post Thanks / Like

And quit calling magazines "clips" and (as Coleroad noted) engines "motors", and and and....you dadnabbed kids!

But seriously, words mean things, and IMO the broader and more precise one`s vocabulary the greater the potential for concept formation and thinking in general.
    I believe clips are old timey metal clips that are use to load bullets into to feed old guns (think wwII carbines. Bullets are exposed. Most current day comparison revolver fast loaders maybe. Magazines are current usage where the bullets are loaded into the can.

Post Thanks / Like

5 years in the USMC 1990-1995, I dare anyone to call the M16 magazine a clip, youd do pushups till you puked. lol. We are very specific about terminology and IME the Army was much more relaxed about what they called things.

Back on topic...Ive always used these terms as others have said Rim = metal inside part, Tire = rubber outside part, Wheel = Rim with a tire mounted on it.

Now for my pet peeve - Someone calling a military HMMWV a HUMMER, no thats for your luxury, padded seat, non folding windshield, non-fording capable, AM/FM radio, Rear defogger, carpeted COPY. The military version is a High Mobility Multi Wheeled Vehicle. I was watching overhauling today and they overhauilled CNN`s HUMMER and kept referring to the military version that the Marine were driving next to them as a HUMMER too. End of rant.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe
    Likes Desertnate liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Words mean different things in different countries too champ.

In Oz we don’t call an automobile or vehicle a ‘motor’. That’s the thing under the hood that runs the car.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wristymanchego View Post
    Words mean different things in different countries too champ.
    Indeed!

In Oz we don’t call an automobile or vehicle a ‘motor’. That’s the thing under the hood that runs the car.
    Ah, I`d forgotten that some people call `em "motors"! I`m trying to use "vehicle" instead of "car" when it`s appropriate since SUVs/etc. aren`t cars.

Any Auto terms you folks use down there that Americans would find unusual? You sure have had some swell vehicles released in your market that we never get here (at least not in their original form).

Do you Australians say "Hoover" for "vacuum"? Some Brits I`ve known still say that.

Quote Originally Posted by coatings=crack
    I believe clips are old timey metal clips that are use to load bullets into to feed old guns (think wwII carbines. Bullets are exposed. Most current day comparison revolver fast loaders maybe. Magazines are current usage where the bullets are loaded into the can.
    You`re basically right about "clips", but not with regard to the M1/2 Carbines; those used magazines that were often filled from "stripper clips" which held the (yes, exposed) cartridges.

Hey, that`s a good point about the similarity of clips and speedloaders for revolvers. There are also "half/full moon clips" for revolvers that hold the cartridges and do indeed make for quicker reloads and kinda exemplify the "exposed cartridges" thing; 3 or 6 cartridges held together by a little piece of metal that clips to their bases.

(OK, sorry for continuing off-topic, mention older firearms and I do tend to get going.. )

dcjredline-Regarding "Hummer", I`ve never heard a veteran confuse the two and I try to follow their lead.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information