Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stop calling wheels "rims" (if you do).

Stop calling wheels "rims" (if you do).-img_0147.jpg

Lots of words have gotten twisted as far as their meaning. Engine, and motor is another one.

Speaking of wire wheels above. I have them on my jaguar. Wanna talk about a pain in the rump to clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Likes Stokdgs, Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Ehhh... I know what all of you mean and none of the terms bother me in the slightest though I would never include “tire” as part of a “wheel” but that’s just me. Sorry Dan, I call the inside of a wheel the barrel. I’ll make sure not to do that in future references.

This is worth a look:

https://www.wheelfire.com/ccontent/t...rts-of-a-Wheel
    A society willing to trade liberty for temporary security deserves neither and will lose both
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

And quit calling magazines "clips" and (as Coleroad noted) engines "motors", and and and....you dadnabbed kids!

But seriously, words mean things, and IMO the broader and more precise one`s vocabulary the greater the potential for concept formation and thinking in general.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    And quit calling magazines "clips" and (as Coleroad noted) engines "motors", and and and....you dadnabbed kids!

But seriously, words mean things, and IMO the broader and more precise one`s vocabulary the greater the potential for concept formation and thinking in general.
    Hear! Hear! I tell my kids this all the time and it drives them (and my wife) nuts! Too many times in my line of work projects have gone completly off the rails because someone used the wrong terminology.

In all fairness, I always though the wheels/rims argument was a regional thing like soda/pop/coke. Growing up EVERYONE called them rims and it wasn`t until I started living in other places I heard differently.
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Desertnate- Heh heh..yeah, IRL I`m a lot less pedantic than I probably come across here. As the saying goes..."it`s not what you SAY, it`s what they HEAR" so I guess it cuts both ways and you gotta speak to your audience.

I gotta admit that, e.g., saying "ANTI-swaybars or "stabilizer bar" can sound pretty pretentious compared to "swaybar" and coming across like a [twit] can negatively influence one`s life whether you care what people think or not.

And yeah#2, my (very Southern) wife and I use some different terms for certain things due to those regional diffs...well, maybe we usED, past tense

Post Thanks / Like

Just to add to the vent. How do people barbecue on a grill. I can grill Steaks, Hamburgers, Hotdogs, Fish, etc... Not sure to how to barbecue on a grill. I will never understand how a grill is called a barbecue. Ok, I`m happy now.
    Likes Stokdgs, dcjredline liked this post

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Rims.....................
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GearHead_1 View Post
    Ehhh... I know what all of you mean and none of the terms bother me in the slightest though I would never include “tire” as part of a “wheel” but that’s just me. Sorry Dan, I call the inside of a wheel the barrel. I’ll make sure not to do that in future references.

This is worth a look:

https://www.wheelfire.com/ccontent/t...rts-of-a-Wheel
    My Other Brother, El Reductor !!!
    Hope you and yours had great holidays !

It is simply the way words have evolved since their beginning... I still call it a "Crescent" Wrench.. My Dad also called it that way..

My first definition of a "barrel", as a child, was a wooden container, different sizes, that sometimes, wild and crazy people took a ride inside of, over the Niagara Falls...

That is a very nice link, thank you for posting it..

Took awhile to find out more info, but since this company was founded in 2007, or course, the term of the inner wheel will always be a barrel...
    I just have to keep my brain translator charged up at all times to decipher..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

Mi Amigo !
    Hope its been a great new year !!!

I can see where it perhaps starting getting confused, when the M-1 Garand, the rifle my Dad used in WWII used Clips to feed into the top of the magazine of that rifle..

Can remember a few of those very early war series shows on TV ( Combat) I think was one of them.. Perhaps we heard them talk about being "out of clips", "I need another clip", etc., that was actually correct for that rifle of that time...

Then as weaponry changed and evolved, it was more "magazines" and no more "clips", right ?

Perhaps, it is "faster" to say a 1 syllable word than a 3 syllable word???
    clip vs magazine, barrel, vs inner wheel, etc...

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tc99m View Post
    Just to add to the vent. How do people barbecue on a grill. I can grill Steaks, Hamburgers, Hotdogs, Fish, etc... Not sure to how to barbecue on a grill. I will never understand how a grill is called a barbecue. Ok, I`m happy now.
    YES!!!

Barbecue is when you slap sauce on a cut of meat, bird, or sausage you just grilled, smoked, roasted, etc. Drives me up the wall too.
    Likes Tc99m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking from native Australia we tend to bbq more than we grill. Grilling is using hot plate to cook from one side eg burgers at burger king. Bbq is using a grill with a lid so cooking is not only using the grill plate but also a hot air convection process.

Cheers

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PoweredByJenga View Post
    Speaking from native Australia we tend to bbq more than we grill. Grilling is using hot plate to cook from one side eg burgers at burger king. Bbq is using a grill with a lid so cooking is not only using the grill plate but also a hot air convection process.

Cheers

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk
    Seeing that you`re south of the Equator, we`ll give you a pass on using the incorrect terms.

Seriously though, in Australia is it common to have cuts of meat smoked or grilled, er...BBQ`d...and then covered in a BBQ sauce? If so, what would you call this? I won`t get too specific on the ingredients of BBQ sauce since that alone can result in perfectly rational people start fighting depending on where in the US they live.

This discussion takes on a whole knew dimension when it goes international!
    Likes PoweredByJenga liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

SOOOO ..... Why do we drive on parkways and park in driveways then? (OK, OK, Captain Obvious, it`s an old and oft-repeated "observation" on the semantics of the English language)
    Wheel barrel (Not to be confused Wheelbarrow; a human-powered single-wheeled hauling tub) is a Vehicle Tire Hub Inner Diameter or VTHID....(Not to be confused with the Credit Card!)
    GB detailer
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

When I was working they had a guy to come and teach a mechanical class to us. This was 15 years ago. His other job he built carburetors for pro stock cars. He told us a bolt is not a bolt unless there is a nut attached to it. So what everybody calls a bolt is really a screw. I had never heard that one before.
    Likes Stokdgs, Lonnie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fishroes View Post
    When I was working they had a guy to come and teach a mechanical class to us. This was 15 years ago. His other job he built carburetors for pro stock cars. He told us a bolt is not a bolt unless there is a nut attached to it. So what everybody calls a bolt is really a screw. I had never heard that one before.
    Makes sense to me ! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Then what happens when you read or hear people talk about all the "Bolt On" accessories available for their - vehicle/s, etc....

Dan F

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information