Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Stop calling wheels "rims" (if you do).

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    5 years in the USMC 1990-1995, I dare anyone to call the M16 magazine a clip, youd do pushups till you puked. lol. We are very specific about terminology and IME the Army was much more relaxed about what they called things.

Back on topic...Ive always used these terms as others have said Rim = metal inside part, Tire = rubber outside part, Wheel = Rim with a tire mounted on it.

Now for my pet peeve - Someone calling a military HMMWV a HUMMER, no thats for your luxury, padded seat, non folding windshield, non-fording capable, AM/FM radio, Rear defogger, carpeted COPY. The military version is a High Mobility Multi Wheeled Vehicle. I was watching overhauling today and they overhauilled CNN`s HUMMER and kept referring to the military version that the Marine were driving next to them as a HUMMER too. End of rant.
    God I hated the HMMWV. As an officer I was “privileged” to ride in the back seat. Zero leg room and a thin cushion for a seat. Pain on wheels. I would beat you to death on the smoothest roads(Germany). We got the first ones in 1988 to replace the jeeps.

One of my toughest memories of the military was we(a maintenance company) had to bring up all the old jeeps to 10-20 standards, including putting seatbelts and new taillights on just to get them crushed. The amount of money and man hours was staggering just to destroy something. We still have military stationed in Germany for no real reason, but that is another subject.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    One of my toughest memories of the military was we(a maintenance company) had to bring up all the old jeeps to 10-20 standards, including putting seatbelts and new taillights on just to get them crushed. The amount of money and man hours...
    Sheesh, that`s the sort of thing we civilians hear about and think "aw, can`t really be true..." Thanks for confirming that such stuff really does happen

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Sheesh, that`s the sort of thing we civilians hear about and think "aw, can`t really be true..." Thanks for confirming that such stuff really does happen
    I’ve got stories of waste and abuse that would curl your hair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Likes dcjredline liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

God I hated the HMMWV. As an officer I was “privileged” to ride in the back seat. Zero leg room and a thin cushion for a seat. Pain on wheels. I would beat you to death on the smoothest roads(Germany). We got the first ones in 1988 to replace the jeeps.

One of my toughest memories of the military was we(a maintenance company) had to bring up all the old jeeps to 10-20 standards, including putting seatbelts and new taillights on just to get them crushed. The amount of money and man hours was staggering just to destroy something. We still have military stationed in Germany for no real reason, but that is another subject.
    Ive slept in the front seat of a HMMWV more nights than I wanted to remember but thanks for reminding me!!!! lol. With vinyl doors on them they certainly wont keep you warm and there is no room in there to get yer poncho liner out and put over you. Then there`s radio watch, thats a JOY. Being a radio operator though I had little choice. They sure were a GREAT off road vehicle. The driver training course at Camp Lejeune NC was a blast. Very capable vehicle. Working with the 75th Rangers though sure spoiled us after riding in their RSOV special operations buggy!! Those were really fun, I woudlnt want to have slept in those though either lol lol lol.
    Don

1989 Formula 350
    2004 Saturn Ion Quadcoupe

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dcjredline View Post
    Ive slept in the front seat of a HMMWV more nights than I wanted to remember but thanks for reminding me!!!! lol. With vinyl doors on them they certainly wont keep you warm and there is no room in there to get yer poncho liner out and put over you. Then there`s radio watch, thats a JOY. Being a radio operator though I had little choice. They sure were a GREAT off road vehicle. The driver training course at Camp Lejeune NC was a blast. Very capable vehicle. Working with the 75th Rangers though sure spoiled us after riding in their RSOV special operations buggy!! Those were really fun, I woudlnt want to have slept in those though either lol lol lol.
    Yep, comfort was not one of the design points of the HMMWV. I never would even go near one of the civilian Hummers for fear of setting off PTSD. Lol. I can’t remember any of our guys attempting to sleep in one, there was just no leg room and it had sharp edges everywhere. The seats were welded in place so there was no way to get comfortable. That’s why the military is a young mans game. Pure misery, but they would go places nothing else except track vehicles would and would run on diesel, gas, or JP4.

They were lacking in armor under the vehicle. Too many soldiers were killed before the military got their act together and started welding metal plates to the bottom of the HMMWV. Maintenance units started modifying the vehicles without authorization just to save lives before the brass decided it was smart. We were not prepared for IEDs. We learn new lessons everytime we engage in war. But the lesson we never learn is not to go to war to begin with.

Post Thanks / Like

The last few posts on this thread exemplify why I don`t mind threads veering off-topic...interesting stuff comes up.

Post Thanks / Like

We were not prepared for IEDs..
    Which surprises me given how old the Improvised Munitions Manuals I read in the `70s were, even back then. We knew/taught how to make such stuff but didn`t seem to expect to be facing it.

We learn new lessons everytime we engage in war. But the lesson we never learn is not to go to war to begin with
    Especially when those who aren`t combat vets are the ones making such decisions. I`ve always figured that those who`ve seen the elephant are more likely to make the right decisions about that (which, OK.. to be fair, sure wasn`t always true at different times in the past).
    Likes rlmccarty2000 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

It has always interested me how the terms "NUT", "BOLT", and "SCREW" get cross threaded.
    Likes grisby liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh, that was good

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information