Page 1 of 22 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

2019 Health & Fitness Thread

I`m gonna start this H & F thread right away with the start of the New Year

I`m still trying to get all dialed-in by my 59th bday in March. Then I`ll just keep that up for a year and hit 60 in great shape. I`d expected to have things pretty well figured out by now, but it seems that I keep finding more new stuff to consider.

With advancing age, IMO innate athleticism/genetics become less of a factor and things that are more under my control become increasingly significant.

Note that I`m *NOT* gonna do anything extreme or out of the ordinary. No special dieting, nothing I can`t keep up indefinitely without making daily life weird. For me it`s all about my condition 24/7/52 in Normal Daily Life, which includes bfasts at Denny`s and, well... whatever I want to eat/drink whenever I want it. Fortunately, I don`t ingest much [crap] anyhow.
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

I’m in.

This is a lifestyle thing for me too, but I’m also super motivated to be in awesome shape for my destination wedding in July. Want a picture shredded to show my kids when they think I’m old fat and lame. Then I can show them it’s all their fault!
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- That July finish line sounds good, plenty of time for incremental progress.

What`ll it take to get you were you want to be?

And IMO it`d be great for your kids to see that. Easy for young people to say somebody with a few years is "old, fat, and lame", let`s see *their* abs when they`re your age

The last person who told me "oh, I`m so old..." turned out to be considerably younger than I am.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    jrock645- That July finish line sounds good, plenty of time for incremental progress.

What`ll it take to get you were you want to be?

And IMO it`d be great for your kids to see that. Easy for young people to say somebody with a few years is "old, fat, and lame", let`s see *their* abs when they`re your age

The last person who told me "oh, I`m so old..." turned out to be considerably younger than I am.

My guess is to be around 10% bf, I’ll be there. I’d love to get down to 7 or 8 but I don’t know if that’s realistic. I’m a bit over 15 now, so I think I can get to 10. Current meal plan is ripping fat off of me so I feel good about it. Ultimately, trying to look like an underwear model. Not big, but some visible muscle and very lean. My build lends itself to that pretty well, not so much to what fitness models tend to look like these days and certainly not for a bodybuilder.

Goal is to keep leaning down these next few weeks, bring back the weekly carb up which helps progress as you get leaner, and hopefully by May/June be able to raise my calories back to maintenance and introduce a few carbs around workout time. Should give a sorta rebound effect to visible muscle gain. Right now I look really flat, but I really don’t think I’ve lost actual muscle mass- just muscle volume because I’m light on glycogen and therefore intramuscular water.

We’ll see.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- The BF% thing sorta surprised me. As I`m sure I`ve posted before, I had mine tested regularly for years, and the first time I had it done I figured I was a bit under 10%; hey, I could clearly see my abs and sure didn`t *look* like somebody with "much bodyfat at all". Surprise surprise...I was right around 11%

Lowest I ever got was just under 5% and I looked terrible (and didn`t feel too great either). I was injury-prone at that level too, deliberately upped my BF when I was doing CQB training to avoid getting (too) hurt.

I haven`t had mine tested for ages, so I can`t really say what it is now. The whole "age factor" thing kinda bugged me, one day the readings equaled one thing and the next week the same reading meant something else because I was "older" (presumably the diff is based on bone density).

These days I just go by looks. As long as I can clearly see my abs and there`s visible vascularity in that area I`m satisfied. Seeing veins and striations always meant <9% back when I was tested, but who knows what the tests would say now.

My actual waistline hasn`t changed significantly for decades, although I used to gain maybe a 1/2" during the Holidays that was all fat (always lost it by early Feb.).

Those pics in magazines/on the `net where [some personality] supposedly has "5% BF" absolutely deserve those scare-quotes based on my experiences.

How did you determine yours to be around 15%?

Post Thanks / Like

Hoping to start a lifestyle change this year. Weighing the most I ever have (255) and feel awful. I drink a ton of my calories and don`t exercise.

Working on waking up earlier, getting in a workout before work, and watching the alcohol intake. Ideally I`d like to see 30lb weight loss this year, but overall just having a more active lifestyle.

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- The BF% thing sorta surprised me. As I`m sure I`ve posted before, I had mine tested regularly for years, and the first time I had it done I figured I was a bit under 10%; hey, I could clearly see my abs and sure didn`t *look* like somebody with "much bodyfat at all". Surprise surprise...I was right around 11%

Lowest I ever got was just under 5% and I looked terrible (and didn`t feel too great either). I was injury-prone at that level too, deliberately upped my BF when I was doing CQB training to avoid getting (too) hurt.

I haven`t had mine tested for ages, so I can`t really say what it is now. The whole "age factor" thing kinda bugged me, one day the readings equaled one thing and the next week the same reading meant something else because I was "older" (presumably the diff is based on bone density).

These days I just go by looks. As long as I can clearly see my abs and there`s visible vascularity in that area I`m satisfied. Seeing veins and striations always meant <9% back when I was tested, but who knows what the tests would say now.

My actual waistline hasn`t changed significantly for decades, although I used to gain maybe a 1/2" during the Holidays that was all fat (always lost it by early Feb.).

Those pics in magazines/on the `net where [some personality] supposedly has "5% BF" absolutely deserve those scare-quotes based on my experiences.

How did you determine yours to be around 15%?
    7-8% would be ideal, but again I don’t know if time will allow for that. % is one thing, but combining it with varying levels of muscle mass changes everything imo. I was 10% in hs when I ran and wrestled. 152lbs at 6ft. Lean as could be but not enough mass for abs to be so visible.

And it’s purely an educated guess, I’d say I’m at more like 17%. Just going off of comparative pics I’ve seen. My bf scale tells me 18%.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

I started getting back into it a couple weeks ago. I`ve been so busy since I started doing PPF last March on top of my FT job and detailing PT that I always made the excuse that I was too tired to work out or didn`t have time. No more excuses! I get up an hour earlier now and make time!

I`m not too out of shape but my gut has definitely gotting bigger so I`m focusing on that. I quite drinking Rockstars 9 days ago too (was drinking 2 a day) and the headaches are finally going away. I`m also eating a little better since the wife is on a more strict diet now and has been making healthier meals. We do still go out to dinner maybe once a week and have a few drinks but we`re a lot better then we`ve been this past year or so.

I have chondromalacia patellae so I can`t run or do a lot of leg lifting but I may make an appointment with a physical therapist to see what they suggest. The elliptical machines usually don`t bother me so I`ve been using those for cardio. I ordered so fish oil to try out too for joint pain.

No idea what my BF% is but I can still see the upper part of my abs I guess...

Post Thanks / Like

Really glad to see this year`s H & F thread getting some traction!

Sooner or later, such stuff really does become downright critical with regard to Quality of Life issues.

someidiot- Yeah, it`s easy for alcohol to sneak up on ya calorie-wise. Hey, I`m not preachin` here, I thoroughly enjoy recreational drinking, I just don`t let it get out of hand (and what qualifies as that will sure differ for each of us).

Just being more physically active can maker a world of difference, even if it`s not some regimented workout routine.

Getting past that "feeling awful" will, IMO, help make the whole thing self-perpetuating. Once you start really feeling better you won`t want to backslide.

IME it`s not like "healthy living" precludes eating out or otherwise enjoying meals. I have a huge Denny`s bfast every Friday and it fuels that afternoon`s workout great (today is back/biceps/core as soon as I finish posting here).

To lose 30# in a permanent way, I`d sure take my time. It took a while to accumulate that bodyfat so it`ll take a while to get it off. Too often, people expect a quick fix and/but that seldom works out long-term. Back when I gained ~5# during the Holidays, I gave myself a couple months to get it off.

Someidiot & RaskyR1- Yeah, getting the workout in *first* is a great idea. Heh heh, if I don`t do my cardio first thing in the morning I just won`t do it. I gotta lift later in the day, but that`s just me and I`m lucky my lifestyle allows for that.

RaskyR1- That`s a real challenge, working around the chondromalacia patellae, huh? How can you maintain leg strength with that? Gee, hope your PT knows his/her stuff and can offer some advice.

I always enjoyed the Ellipticals, but I just couldn`t get a real workout in on them so they were kinda a variation on the "brisk walk" theme for me.

If you haven`t seen me posting about it before, I`m a *HUGE* fan of Fish Oil! The trick is to take a genuinely therapeutic dosage rather than the "two or three capsule" doses that people try to get by with.

Sufficiently high doses of Fish Oil render me hangover-proof, and I don`t mean after just 6-8 whiskeys either. That`s what initially clued me in that I was onto something, although it sure was an eye-opener with regard to how many of those capsules I needed to take (my wife uses the liquid Fish Oil but I prefer the capsules) and I`ll note that it took a few months of that to notice anything. My TG/Chol. numbers got great, my joints never hurt any more...between the Fish Oil and Polyphenol supplements I simply can`t believe the difference! Yeah, I`m a real fanatic about such stuff but I`m a [freakin`] poster child for how it can work for somebody. And to think I initially thought it was all BS It took a fair bit of reading before I figured out stuff like the Therapeutic Dosage and you sure can`t go by the mainstream studies on it (which are almost entirely all BS once you know enough to understand them, incredible that they even make it through Review).
    Likes RaskyR1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    7-8% would be ideal, but again I don’t know if time will allow for that. % is one thing, but combining it with varying levels of muscle mass changes everything imo. I was 10% in hs when I ran and wrestled. 152lbs at 6ft. Lean as could be but not enough mass for abs to be so visible.
    Hey, that`s interesting! Very different from how it goes with me...when I`m *really* lean I`ve always looked shrink-wrapped whether I was very muscular or not. Also interesting that you were 152#/6`/10%...that combination is so different from how it goes for me (well, as best I can extrapolate, I`m 5`9"). OR, maybe the Age Factor is in play, your numbers being from your HS days and all of mine being from my 30s-40s. OR, maybe the way (many? most?) HS wrestlers "make weight" factors in; the guys who wrestled at my HS were doing goofy/unhealthy stuff to achieve the desired numbers and they were training all wrong (hey, it was the `70s and nobody knew much then..well, virtually nobody).

Is your BF Scale the Tanita one? My wife has one of those...it`s pretty close for her but utterly out-of-whack for me, like...crazy-wrong. That`s another of those "just me" things since they seem to work well for a lot of people.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, that`s interesting! Very different from how it goes with me...when I`m *really* lean I`ve always looked shrink-wrapped whether I was very muscular or not. Also interesting that you were 152#/6`/10%...that combination is so different from how it goes for me (well, as best I can extrapolate, I`m 5`9"). OR, maybe the Age Factor is in play, your numbers being from your HS days and all of mine being from my 30s-40s. OR, maybe the way (many? most?) HS wrestlers "make weight" factors in; the guys who wrestled at my HS were doing goofy/unhealthy stuff to achieve the desired numbers and they were training all wrong (hey, it was the `70s and nobody knew much then..well, virtually nobody).

Is your BF Scale the Tanita one? My wife has one of those...it`s pretty close for her but utterly out-of-whack for me, like...crazy-wrong. That`s another of those "just me" things since they seem to work well for a lot of people.

I wrestled just to stay in shape over the winter, so I didn’t do anything to “make weight.” My weight was my weight. I was obviously already very thin, wasn’t much I coulda done to go lower, anyway.

Edit: and yes, it’s a tanita scale. I’ve always heard there’s about a 3% margin for error either way on the number it gives. I figure what it tells me is in the ballpark but I never assume it 100% accurate, either.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I wrestled just to stay in shape over the winter, so I didn’t do anything to “make weight.” My weight was my weight...
    Oh, OK...now I follow

And your "very thin" is a big part of what intrigues me about your fitness I was absolutely in that "extreme ectomorph" range (125# at 5`9" at age 25 despite eating thousands of calories daily). My wrist diameters and other such measurements are pretty at odds with my overall build these days, doubt anybody even notices `em though, or my insertion points or any of those other indicators of my morphology.

Edit: and yes, it’s a tanita scale. I’ve always heard there’s about a 3% margin for error either way on the number it gives. I figure what it tells me is in the ballpark but I never assume it 100% accurate, either.
    Hey, they work fine for a lot of people, don`t know what my problem is.

Post Thanks / Like

Went to the doctor today for a routine exam. Ended up spending a lot of time talking about intermittent fasting and a ketogenic diet. Might give it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like

someidiot- Hey, sounds like your Doc is more open-minded than many.

You like the idea of intermittent fasting? I`d go nuts, but there are some interesting studies on it and, like the Ketogenic stuff, it can sure work great for some people.

Just out of curiosity, is your Doc in shape? Most of the medical professionals I know need the "Doctor, heal thyself" lecture.

Post Thanks / Like

someidiot- Maybe just getting the drinking squared-away to where it doesn`t have a noticeable effect on your daily life will do the trick.

Again, I do enjoy recreational drinking, don`t want to come across as a killjoy, but I think back to where it was having detrimental effects on my life and, well...I`m glad that`s not the case any more. Same with smoking, absolutely *LOVED* that [crap], but a few packs of nonfilters were something I`d notice the next morning..never mind the long-term potential for trouble.

Even back when I was still drinking a lot more than I am now, just not having any hangovers (thanks to the Fish Oil) was a great improvement. Heh heh, doing (very) hard cardio with a hangover is no picnic, and lifting in that condition can be downright dangerous. When I recognized it as an either/or I couldn`t just carry on the way I had been.

Just switching from whiskey to vodka made a diff, and I can`t imagine how anybody enjoys getting inebriated on beer.

Page 1 of 22 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information