Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

I usually don’t have much of a gap between breakfast and lunch. 3 hours tops. And I don’t really like eating eggs that much, so getting down 6 scrambled eggs is work sorta.

As for my cholesterol, it’s down about 40 points. I was always in the high 190’s but had very high HDL. It’s not just the keto, think it’s from exercising a lot more than I did before.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Yeah, I keep the gaps between meals/feedings pretty small too. I`m lucky regarding the eggs as I like `em just fine as long as they`re not cold, though I give the dogs the majority of the yolks (not opposed to eating them, just don`t like too much yolk flavor and the dogs *expect* them now). My wife sure likes hers scrambled.

IMO your Chol numbers are very good whatever`s doing it. What does/doesn`t work for different people in that regard can sure leave me scratching my head.

Post Thanks / Like

I actually missspoke. My cholesterol back in September was only a couple points higher than it is now. I was eating carbs then, but it was a boatload of oats.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, OK..still good numbers no matter what.

One set per exercise vs. many: I`ve been doing well using only one set per exercise. I might do two/three but if I do I change something significantly enough that it`s not just doing the same thing. I got the idea from Clarence Bass and the meta-study by Ralph Carpinelli (with which I have some issues, but I don`t dismiss it out of hand), and found out (to my surprise) that it works well for me when circumstances forced me to drastically limit the frequency and duration of my workouts. I do it because *it works for me*, simple as that.

Bass recently cited a new study that showed that for men (but not women), strength/endurance gains were the same with one/more, but that hypertrophy was better with more than with one. I found that interesting even though I don`t plan to do more than one, at least not very often (again, based on irrefutable, first-hand experience). BUT..oh man, did Bass`s take on that study disappoint me!

He seemed to take the study`s results as some kind of personal criticism or somesuch. He was weirdly defensive and disparaging; apparently any results that differ from his experiences and opinions are unwelcome and worthy of ridicule. He even leveled criticism at people wanting to "bulk up", saying that he wanted "functional muscle" instead, and he even poked fun at people who might want to compete in bodybuilding contests. This from a guy who was a long-time competitive bodybuilder. Sigh...I expect better from him. In fairness, I`ll point out that it seemed out of character for him, maybe he was having a bad day and needed to step away from the keyboard.

Dick Winett chimed in with similar criticism just loaded with rhetorical fallacies.

Neither of them criticized *the study*, but rather its *results*. Both went on to criticize guys who do more than one set...their motivations, their training, and their presumed results.

Why so defensive?!? Why so critical of others about whom you know nothing?

Hey, the study showed what it showed, and more info is good whether you choose to act on it or not.

Post Thanks / Like

Well I`m still going strong with exercising. On the Peloton a few times a week. Getting some good workouts, feel like my cardiovascular fitness is getting significantly better.

I`m tipping the scales right at 220, +/- a pound. Not bad for someone who was at 255 at the beginning of the year.

New lipid panel results, on lipitor for 3 months:
    Total: 309 --> 114
    LDL: 205 --> 60
    HDL: 31 --> 26
    Triglycerides: 367 --> 141

Obviously need to get that HDL up. Have an appointment with my doc on Monday. Overall feeling great. On a good lifestyle. Still have 30 pounds to lose, but I`m loving my exercise routine and it`s a marathon, not a sprint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by someidiot View Post
    Well I`m still going strong with exercising. On the Peloton a few times a week. Getting some good workouts, feel like my cardiovascular fitness is getting significantly better...I`m tipping the scales right at 220,.. was at 255 at the beginning of the year.... Overall feeling great. On a good lifestyle. .. it`s a marathon, not a sprint.
    Hey, that`s great! I simply love how you`re sticking with it and taking a long-term perspective! That Peloton was the exact right thing for you all right, otherwise IMO you`d be slacking off by now.

Yeah on boosting the HDL...are you taking the Fish Oil? No idea how that works with Lipitor...

But !oh man! is that TG improvement something!

Way to go, glad you posted an update. I`ll be interested to hear what your Doc has to say.
    Likes someidiot liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

My doctor was very pleased with the weight loss and exercise. We talked about HDL and fish oil supplements. I`ll just keep at it.

Post Thanks / Like

5ink I managed to get back in ketosis as of yesterday. Took forever. A little concerned by my pwo blood meter reading, though the urine strip reading was off the charts.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

someidiot- Yeah, I *bet* he was pleased!

What was your Doc`s recommendation regarding the fish oil? Dosage, etc....

jrock645- How do you explain the different readings? Will you have to work so hard to get back into ketosis any time you`re off your usual diet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post

jrock645- How do you explain the different readings? Will you have to work so hard to get back into ketosis any time you`re off your usual diet?

The only explanation for the readins is... there are different types of ketones. Urine strips measure acetone and the blood meter measures BHB. In early stages of ketosis you excrete more acetone than bhb. After a while, once you your body really makes the switch, you excrete less acetone as your body pumps out more BHB.

Ive never had to work this hard to get into ketosis. I think it’s because I’ve been trying to eat too much protein. One thing I’m learning is just to eat basic keto the first two weeks and let adaptation take hold before worrying about macro counts.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

She actually doesn`t believe in fish oil. Basically said she doesn`t know what to do about the HDL.

Post Thanks / Like

someidiot- I`m not gonna argue with your Doc, but it`s sure changed my life and that of my wife. Not an exaggeration: it CHANGED OUR LIVES. Note that virtually none of the studies on it used therapeutic doses (including the ones my Doc had read) and I`ll agree that just taking a few capsules is a waste of $.

jrock645- Ah, OK...see how little I know about the Ketogenic stuff?!? Thanks for explaining.

How long do you have until the wedding? Are you pleased with your progress so far?

Post Thanks / Like

someidiot- I`m not gonna argue with your Doc, but it`s sure changed my life and that of my wife. Not an exaggeration: it CHANGED OUR LIVES. Note that virtually none of the studies on it used therapeutic doses (including the ones my Doc had read) and I`ll agree that just taking a few capsules is a waste of $.

jrock645- Ah, OK...see how little I know about the Ketogenic stuff?!? Thanks for explaining.

How long do you have until the wedding? Are you pleased with your progress so far?
    We leave 3 months from today. I feel good about where im at in the process. Trying to spend the next two months shredding down and add some carbs in about a month out, hoping to pick up a bit of size that way.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    We leave 3 months from today. I feel good about where im at in the process. Trying to spend the next two months shredding down and add some carbs in about a month out, hoping to pick up a bit of size that way.
    Ah, OK..that`s a good timeline IMO, plenty of time left for tweaking.

Interesting that you`ll start adding carbs back in...will that knock you out of ketosis?

What`s the plan for *after* the wedding trip, you gonna stay on the ketogenic indefinitely?

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, OK..that`s a good timeline IMO, plenty of time left for tweaking.

Interesting that you`ll start adding carbs back in...will that knock you out of ketosis?

What`s the plan for *after* the wedding trip, you gonna stay on the ketogenic indefinitely?
    Yes, it will knock me out of ketosis. But, I’m going to be very careful with it. Calories will stay at maintenance, roughly 2500-2700 and I won’t go above 200g carbs per day, and those will be almost all from oats, sweet potato or quinoa. With that amount from those sources, eating at maintenance, there should be no concern of short term fat gain. Should definitely help me pick up some muscle volume. That’s a tough one on keto. A lot of muscle mass is actually intramuscular glycogen and water. With keto, that’s minimal. That’s not to say you can’t weight train and force those muscle fibers to grow, but packing on size is difficult without that glycogen and water.

As for after the wedding, I’ll probably do what I’ve been doing, which is varying levels of strictness in keto with some time off here and there. It works for me, I feel good on it, I believe in it, and I like getting to eat steak every day.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread Information