Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

To be honest, the not to failure workout feels good to me. I’d been pushing a lot of cardio for a bit, cutting back for a month, and replacing what was a cardio day with that. I really don’t feel like it hurts my recovery. I also remember Darden suggesting it as a means of potentially helping recovery.

Diet is back under control, and I’m no worse off for taking a break for a week or so. Just doing standard keto, will probably until April. Means there’s plenty of good stuff I can eat. Scrambled eggs with pimento cheese, heavy cream in my coffee, chicken wings, lettuce wrap versions of deli sandwiches, salads chock full of stuff, etc. I even bought some low carb protein cheese puff type things, and they’re not bad. Also some protein chips, and some keto friendly cereal(with unsweetened almond milk). I’m usually not big on these convenience foods but change of pace is needed, and being sustainable is important.

Standard keto is sustainable for me. Plenty of stuff I can eat that tastes good, and I feel better and my body just works better in ketosis. And I get a cheat meal each week to enjoy whatever I want. What I’ve been doing lately is like bodybuilder contest prep to prepare for the wedding. Never meant for it to be sustainable long term.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec
    Likes someidiot liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Training to failure isn`t necessary for progress; lots of Olympic athletes *NEVER* train to failure yet achieve/maintain great condition and performance.

And yeah, it seems that different people do better/worse with different approaches to recovery. IMO it`s best to find what leaves you feeling better/not worse and seeing where that takes you.

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645
    ..[diet]..being sustainable is important
    Yes indeed! You mentioned a keto-friendly cereal; I eat tons of Zone (labeled, made by Nutritious Living). If I ever catch myself feeling hungry and won`t be making a proper meal, I eat some of that stuff. It`s undoubtedly much higher in carbs than you`d want, but I seem to metabolize it just fine.

Heh heh, one of my numerous quirks (to put it nicely ) is that I have zero interest in variety when it comes to my fare; I could eat the same thing every meal every day forever and not really care much.

What I’ve been doing lately is like bodybuilder contest prep to prepare for the wedding. Never meant for it to be sustainable long term.
    I can see pushing the limits to prep for the wedding, I`d just never be able to back off once I got into my desired condition. Eh, another of those "just me.." things, I simply *HATE* any kind of backsliding...in anything. That`s what happened with the Detailing, I got a vehicle just the way I wanted it once, and then they all had to be like that all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Are those of you doing the Ketogenic Diet supplementing with D-Ribose?

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t do any supplements other than probiotics, a multivitamin and fiber.

Post Thanks / Like

someidiot- I`d consider Creatine Monohydrate, which works *GREAT* for me; been using it nonstop since the mid-`90s. Oh, and, of course...[INSERT usual Fishoil recommendation ].

But generally IMO most of that stuff is of no real value to most people.

Ribose can be beneficial in some cases (we give it to our dogs along with their Creatine) and I keep reading about it being recommended for people going Keto, but I never got anything out of it. Never got anything out of most supplements, but Nitric Oxide stuff does indeed give a great pump (which I actually found counterproductive) and some people who oughta know (e.g., Mercola) think it`s important.

Whose/what Fiber do you use...soluable, insoluable?

I eat a good cup or more of Fiber1 (original) daily along with the Zone Cereal (which also has a fair amount) and the "real food" sources, but when it comes to my Fiber Supplement my long-time (decades) fave got discontinued I`m currently using a roughly 50:50 mix of Psyllium Husk Powder and Acacia which works fine with regard to regularity (we`ll see about how it`s tweaking my Cholesterol numbers in a few weeks) but I miss my old reliable.

Gotta watch what`s in Fiber supplements...check out the sugar in Metamucil! (I`d never take their Sugar-Free stuff any more than I`d drink a diet soda as IMO such stuff is worse than real sugar.)

Post Thanks / Like

I`m still waiting for some study to verify (gee, "I want to believe" huh? ) that my D3 supplement is beneficial. That`s the only vitamin I take. Starting this year, I`m gonna have my D level checked as part of my annual bloodwork.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    someidiot- I`d consider Creatine Monohydrate, which works *GREAT* for me; been using it nonstop since the mid-`90s. Oh, and, of course...[INSERT usual Fishoil recommendation ].

But generally IMO most of that stuff is of no real value to most people.

Ribose can be beneficial in some cases (we give it to our dogs along with their Creatine) and I keep reading about it being recommended for people going Keto, but I never got anything out of it. Never got anything out of most supplements, but Nitric Oxide stuff does indeed give a great pump (which I actually found counterproductive) and some people who oughta know (e.g., Mercola) think it`s important.

Whose/what Fiber do you use...soluable, insoluable?

I eat a good cup or more of Fiber1 (original) daily along with the Zone Cereal (which also has a fair amount) and the "real food" sources, but when it comes to my Fiber Supplement my long-time (decades) fave got discontinued I`m currently using a roughly 50:50 mix of Psyllium Husk Powder and Acacia which works fine with regard to regularity (we`ll see about how it`s tweaking my Cholesterol numbers in a few weeks) but I miss my old reliable.

Gotta watch what`s in Fiber supplements...check out the sugar in Metamucil! (I`d never take their Sugar-Free stuff any more than I`d drink a diet soda as IMO such stuff is worse than real sugar.)
    Actually I just ordered creatine and it got delivered today. I do take fish oil also. For fiber I take psyllium capsules.

Post Thanks / Like

I’ve never heard any real merit to that ribose stuff.

I take the nitric oxide stuff- nitrates work great!- because getting a pump on keto is tough to do. Only thing about not eating carbs that I miss.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by someidiot View Post
    Actually I just ordered creatine and it got delivered today. I do take fish oil also. For fiber I take psyllium capsules.
    I`d have to take the psyllium capsules by the handful!

[INSERT usual reminder to take a genuinely therapeutic dose of the fish oil ]

On the creatine, *DO NOT "LOAD" IT!!!* Doing that can *seriously* disrupt your, uhm...innards...and even when it works OK it just speeds up the process that would`ve happened eventually anyhow. Just take ~5g/day and don`t expect anything for the first few weeks. People try loading, spend a day in the bathroom hoping to die, and then say "that [crap] isn`t for me". You might even ramp up the dosage gradually rather than taking 5g right off the bat.

Did you get straight Creatine Monohydrate or one of the, uhm...drink mixes/etc. (now they have chews/etc. too but I`ve never done those)? These days I take Optimum Nutrition`s Creatine mixed with some Welch`s grape drink (just to make it palatable). The "works best in the presence of sugar" argument requires a ton of sugar (~75g IIRC) to do the presumed Insulin Response that apparently makes it work even better, but I did *NOT* get better results back when I was using those high-sugar Creatine drink mixes (but they sure were tastier).

I`ll be curious how it works for you. I gained ~7lbs. of lean weight (yeah, much of it was undoubtedly water but that`s fine with me) in record time and my performance was significantly boosted both in RT and Cardio. Eh, I`m a posterchild for Creatine, a real Responder by any measure.

Again, I strongly urge you to never take more than 5g of it per day. And remember that it absorbs pretty far downstream in your digestive system, so it`s not like you can "boost a workout by taking pre-workout Creatine" or help your recovery by taking it right after exercise, just doesn`t work that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    I’ve never heard any real merit to that ribose stuff...
    I`ve forgotten anything I ever knew about it...but my wife did extensive research into this stuff (not just a few dozen hours) and it`s sure not hurting the dogs any..maybe it`s partially responsible for their late-life athleticism, ormaybe not. I do know that giving our male *too much* ribose caused weird muscle-spasm issues, which disappeared when we dropped the dosage.

Oh [snap], I can`t remember where I read that it`s recommended for people going Keto...Mercola, perhaps?

I take the nitric oxide stuff- nitrates work great!- because getting a pump on keto is tough to do. Only thing about not eating carbs that I miss.
    If you like the pump I bet you`re really happy with the NO! I gather most people do value that, and NO supplements sure oughta deliver.

Which one are you taking? Been so long I can`t recall which I used, effective stuff (way too effective for my taste, severely compromised my workouts) whatever it was. But I gather that`s another area where I`m, uhm...different...and I`m sure not knocking NO supplements (for anybody except myself).

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve forgotten anything I ever knew about it...but my wife did extensive research into this stuff (not just a few dozen hours) and it`s sure not hurting the dogs any..maybe it`s partially responsible for their late-life athleticism, ormaybe not. I do know that giving our male *too much* ribose caused weird muscle-spasm issues, which disappeared when we dropped the dosage.

Oh [snap], I can`t remember where I read that it`s recommended for people going Keto...Mercola, perhaps?

If you like the pump I bet you`re really happy with the NO! I gather most people do value that, and NO supplements sure oughta deliver.

Which one are you taking? Been so long I can`t recall which I used, effective stuff (way too effective for my taste, severely compromised my workouts) whatever it was. But I gather that`s another area where I`m, uhm...different...and I`m sure not knocking NO supplements (for anybody except myself).

Ive used a few NO Supps. They mostly all work, to varying degrees. I like trying different ones. One of my recent favorites is the cellucor c4 black I think it’s called. Has creatine nitrate in it, which is awesome for pumps(nitrates in general are). Usually I buy whatever I can find on sale. Currently using Hyde nitro x. Nothing particularly special, but provides a bit better of a pump and I got a good deal on it.

As for D3, I’m surprised you haven’t found the research you speak of, as I’d gotten the impression it was pretty well established. I don’t have any direct citations, but there’s a growing amount of research showing vitamin to maybe not being a vitamin at all, but actually a hormone. I’m no expert, but on its face, your body producing D3 in response to sunlight sounds a lot more like a hormonal response to me than a vitamin.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

I`d have to take the psyllium capsules by the handful!

[INSERT usual reminder to take a genuinely therapeutic dose of the fish oil ]

On the creatine, *DO NOT "LOAD" IT!!!* Doing that can *seriously* disrupt your, uhm...innards...and even when it works OK it just speeds up the process that would`ve happened eventually anyhow. Just take ~5g/day and don`t expect anything for the first few weeks. People try loading, spend a day in the bathroom hoping to die, and then say "that [crap] isn`t for me". You might even ramp up the dosage gradually rather than taking 5g right off the bat.

Did you get straight Creatine Monohydrate or one of the, uhm...drink mixes/etc. (now they have chews/etc. too but I`ve never done those)? These days I take Optimum Nutrition`s Creatine mixed with some Welch`s grape drink (just to make it palatable). The "works best in the presence of sugar" argument requires a ton of sugar (~75g IIRC) to do the presumed Insulin Response that apparently makes it work even better, but I did *NOT* get better results back when I was using those high-sugar Creatine drink mixes (but they sure were tastier).

I`ll be curious how it works for you. I gained ~7lbs. of lean weight (yeah, much of it was undoubtedly water but that`s fine with me) in record time and my performance was significantly boosted both in RT and Cardio. Eh, I`m a posterchild for Creatine, a real Responder by any measure.

Again, I strongly urge you to never take more than 5g of it per day. And remember that it absorbs pretty far downstream in your digestive system, so it`s not like you can "boost a workout by taking pre-workout Creatine" or help your recovery by taking it right after exercise, just doesn`t work that way.
    Creatine monohydrate. It`s 5g/scoop and just 1 scoop a day.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Ive used a few NO Supps.. Currently using Hyde nitro x. Nothing particularly special, but provides a bit better of a pump and I got a good deal on it.
    I think I got a sample of that with some order a while back..might take it sometime just for grins if it`s not uber-effective (sounds like it`s not) to where I wouldn`t like it.

As for D3, I’m surprised you haven’t found the research you speak of, as I’d gotten the impression it was pretty well established. I don’t have any direct citations, but there’s a growing amount of research showing vitamin to maybe not being a vitamin at all, but actually a hormone. I’m no expert, but on its face, your body producing D3 in response to sunlight sounds a lot more like a hormonal response to me than a vitamin.
    I haven`t really done any research on it since reading that which I seem to have (at least partially) forgotten But yeah..hormone-like behavior and correlations with all sorts of stuff besides bone density. I decided to just take 2Kiu/day at the advice of my wife`s orthopedic surgeon (a guy named Kay..?Kaye?... who`s been published a few times) who thought that`d be sufficient for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by someidiot View Post
    Creatine monohydrate. It`s 5g/scoop and just 1 scoop a day.
    Yeah, that`s the ticket! You might even do OK with ~3g/day after a while, at least on your Rest Days. Though I do better just taking the 5g/day.

I do assume you got a "micronized" version that`s not too awfully gritty; I`ve settled on the one from Optimum Nutrition, which works fine for us/the dogs and is quite cheap in the biggest jugs (especially when on sale). It`s easy to *really* overspend on Creatine! The stuff my wife started the dogs on cost several times (literally a few-100%) more and I couldn`t discern any diff.

What`re you planning to mix it with? There`s an argument that it should *NOT* be mixed with citrus juice due to the acidity, but that doesn`t make sense to me given the potency of stomach acid. I just use a grape drink anyhow since I`m used to tasting that, although its moderate sugar content is just enough to be [crappy] stuff to ingest while not being enough for the Insulin Response that supposedly helps with Creatine uptake.

I don`t mix it with my Protein Drinks/etc. as those thick concoctions (mine are like thick milkshakes) result in too much Creatine being lost to wastage in the blender.

Post Thanks / Like

The stuff I bought is from Nutrabio, recommended by a friend. It is micronized. I`d hate to have any that`s not micronized if this is "less gritty." Pretty awful stuff. I`m taking it with water or coffee, since I`ve been taking it in the morning and that`s when I`m fasting.

Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread Information