Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

minerigger- Is getting back at it challenging because you need to go off-site to do it or is it just the scheduling?

Post Thanks / Like

Both.

Been having to go into work earlier and be there at 6. I’m not a morning person so waking up at 4 and being at the gym by 4:30 isn’t gonna happen.

Adverse of that is we just cut all the hourly hands OT so now that means the salary guys have to stay later and unload trucks.

Saying that I just would rather stay home at night and see my family than go to the gym for a little over and hr and miss all that time they are awake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

mineriger- OK, understand completely..and I`m glad you`re prioritizing your family time.

Not knowing about the other members of your family, could there be something at the gym for them as well as for you?

While I`m *NOT* into CrossFit`s programs for adults, I do think that CrossFit Kids is a great thing and a good way to get youngsters into the idea that "being fit is a lifelong process".

Post Thanks / Like

Wife is 4 or 5 months Oregon, have 10 yr old, 8 yr old, and 19 month old. Wrestling is gym when I done go. Or when I come to run field service all day and night randomly.

Post Thanks / Like

Minerigger- Sounds like you`re one busy guy these days! That sure doesn`t make it easier. I guess bodyweight stuff might be the answer, and that might be great for your two oldest. I gather many of today`s kids don`t do the kind of daily stuff that most everybody did fifty years ago (even scrawny non-athletic kids like me).

Post Thanks / Like

Had a rough weekend. Kinda got fooled in to thinking as long as I`m making ketones I must be losing fat. I avoided carbs for the most part (took the wife out for a date and we shared a dessert) but I had some fried chicken on Saturday.

Weighed myself at work today at 247. Down 5 pounds since last Tuesday, but the keto diet is known for a diuresis and losing water weight.

I go to Peloton tomorrow for a trial. I really think I`ll get one.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by someidiot View Post
    Apparently it has various effects on insulin production and such - https://www.healthline.com/nutrition...-fasting-guide

For me it`s just an easy meal to skip. I don`t wake up hungry. My breakfast is usually sugar-rich, which isn`t good. If I`m going keto it`s easier to skip breakfast, save the calories, and avoid the sugar I usually have in the morning. It really makes going keto that much easier.
    Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Note that at *some point* you`ll start to lose Type II Muscle Fibers if you don`t do resistance training, people are just designed that way. Then your metabolism/build/weight/BF%/etc. will change. No way around that, just how humans are.
    Advice gratefully considered. Definitely good to keep in mind. If I haven`t mentioned, I`m of a much different, um, shape than the rest of my family. I`m very mindful that sooner or later things could shift. I`ve never heard about the loss of Type II fibers and it`s effect on the rest of body functions.

Hey, that`s great! Seems like it didn`t take all that long (well, easy for me to say).
    Yeah, it seems that way to me too! Glad to be able to get serious about taking care of myself now that I`m functional again.

Oh man, I couldn`t watch the "W Presses". Stability Balls are great for some stuff, but I`d *NEVER* do any kind of Resistance Training on one. Ever. Wouldn`t even be in the room when somebody did it lest I`d have to assist when it went sideways. Craziest thing... Sorry, but I really do feel that way, so I`d *ABSOLUTELY* quit the "W Presses" on the Ball. If you benefit from that movement (I never did), I`d do them the way the Russians do, sitting on the floor with your legs spread in a "V" while paying a *LOT* of attention to your posture.
    *Hangs head* - I should have paid more attention to other google results. So the "Shoulder w`s" I`m doing are basically laying with chest on the ball (like the bird dogs), then holding arms out like a W (think of it looking like a W that`s laying on the floor). Then, squeezing the muscle between my shoulder blades. As it`s been explained to me it`s kinda muscle memory training to promote good posture. (Fight the rolled forward shoulders)

Now that I`ve vented...the other stuff you`re doing on the Ball sounds great!

Ah, interesting that you stretch *beforehand*! No problems from that I gather?
    Glad to hear the other stuff sounds good.

Good catch on the stretching beforehand. Yes, would make much more sense to stretch after. I`ve not been going for super deep stretches beforehand, so I`ve not run into any issues. I should make a habit of stretching after once things have gotten some use.

Do you think the morning roll-out could be further helped by tweaking something about your bed? I ask because I have a terrible time finding a decent mattress (let alone one that`ll stay that way) and finally found that just rolling up a towel to use as lumbar support solved *all* the related issues for me.
    Definitely wouldn`t hurt. Our mattress is ancient, and has been on the to-do list for a while now...

... While I`m *NOT* into CrossFit`s programs for adults, I do think that CrossFit Kids is a great thing and a good way to get youngsters into the idea that "being fit is a lifelong process".
    Why the bias against Adult CrossFit? Wasn`t planning on running out to do it as it doesn`t strike me that it would be "my jam", Just curious.

Post Thanks / Like

I had about enough working out on my weekend field job to suffice for a week lol. 26 straight getting my rear kicked on a drilling rig running an emergency system

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Oneheadlite View Post
    I`ve never heard about the loss of Type II fibers and it`s effect on the rest of body functions...
    Recent strides in microbiology/etc. have rewritten the rules for the Healthy Aging stuff, turns out that Resistance Training ("RT") isn`t just "for cosmetics, looking all muscular" after all. Old thinking = "muscles are like a new paintjob on a wearing-out car"; new thinking = "muscles keep that car working right in ways that nothing else can". TypeI (endurance) fibers stay constant through a lifetime but TypeII ones start to die off as early as one`s 20s unless you exercise `em right with RT.

And on the "metabolic rate"/etc., a study at Tufts (the researchers were Rosen and Evans IIRC, but it`s been a while..) showed that the reason for metabolic slowdown is the loss of those TypeII muscle fibers, which can only be maintained by RT. It`s just part of the "humans are programmed to start dying after reproducing", gotta trick the body into thinking you`re still viable and the way to do that is to maintain muscularity. All win IMO- you look good, your body works well.
    .. the "Shoulder w`s" I`m doing are basically laying with chest on the ball (like the bird dogs), then holding arms out like a W (think of it looking like a W that`s laying on the floor). Then, squeezing the muscle between my shoulder blades. As it`s been explained to me it`s kinda muscle memory training to promote good posture. (Fight the rolled forward shoulders)
    Ah, OK...now I follow! Never mind Sorry, I just GO OFF when people do RT on an exercise ball, utterly stupid IMO, great way to injure yourself without any chance of a benefit if it doesn`t go sideways since the "transfer related to balance" doesn`t really happen with regard to IRL stuff.

One thing though- when anything`s explained to you (including anything I say), make sure it`s right before you accept it. There`s just *SO* much misinformation out there, [freakin`] incredible. And a lot of it gets perpetuated by people who oughta know better, like Therapists/Trainers/MDs/etc. many of whom haven`t cracked a Med. Journal since forever let alone kept up with all the recent stuff. It can be surprising how what doesn`t sound right can *be* right after all, and/but what sounds perfectly sensible can be utterly wrong.

My wife is *BIG* on the whole shoulders/head aspect of posture (and I need to get better about it ). Not sure what all she`s doing these days, but she does it every morning and she sure did a *lot* of research before figuring out what "it" oughta be. FWIW, she`s not doing any of that on the exercise balls, which she uses for other stuff primarily related to her (fused-spine) back.

Good catch on the stretching beforehand. Yes, would make much more sense to stretch after. I`ve not been going for super deep stretches beforehand, so I`ve not run into any issues. I should make a habit of stretching after once things have gotten some use.
    There you go For warming up, I just do a light version of whatever I`m gonna do. Stretching cold bodyparts is asking for trouble, wait until they`re warmed up to the "loose and limber" point whatever that is for you, generally after exercise not before.

Our mattress is ancient, and has been on the to-do list for a while now...
    Buying a new mattress can be incredibly frustrating! Our current one was great...for about a six months. Fortunately the rolled-towel works for me and she`s somehow OK with most any mattress (go figure).

Why the bias against Adult CrossFit? Wasn`t planning on running out to do it as it doesn`t strike me that it would be "my jam", Just curious.
    Short version (and hey..if it works for somebody that`s great) : Too endurance-centric with too much loose, fast, ballistic stuff = too hard on the body long-term, too hard to recover from (recovery = overcompensation = the whole point of exercise), and too likely to cause injury while leaving some things unchallenged.

I hate to criticize CF because I like the "just do it as hard as you can" aspect of it, and again, if something works for somebody I`m all for it. But I don`t see how anybody could keep CF up forever without any injuries. I do mean *forever* too, right up into old age with no injuries. Some CF`ers have suffered pretty serious problems, and/but it`s not all that hard to avoid such trouble with sensible conventional training (which takes a lot less time too). Just because something`s hard to do/impressive to witness, that doesn`t mean it`s a good idea. As the saying goes, "don`t confuse motion with progress"

But for *kids*, I think it oughta be great. Seems like basically a more regimented version of what most kids did when I was growing up, back when nobody just sat around unless studying. Kids need to learn coordination and "just how to be active" as young as possible to imprint such stuff into a lifelong commitment to fitness.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by minerigger View Post
    I had about enough working out on my weekend field job to suffice for a week lol. 26 straight getting my rear kicked on a drilling rig running an emergency system
    Gee, that was an active weekend!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by someidiot View Post
    Had a rough weekend...
    Well, it`s a long-term thing. Not so much about how it goes from one week to the next but how things go over months/years/decades. If it took [however many years] to put fat on, I`d plan on spending that long taking it off. That`s generally worked out best for people over the long run.

I go to Peloton tomorrow for a trial. I really think I`ll get one.
    I`ll be interested to hear what their program sounds like. I only do two types of stuff like that: I either spike my HeartRate to ~90% of max or I walk. NOTHING in-between, ever other than the RT (and Leg Day sure spikes my HR to the max). I dunno about the "exercise weight off" approach...OK for a quick jumpstart, but overall I don`t think you can out-exercise a crappy diet.

I`d be all about whether you can adjust the seat/etc. so you`re gonna be comfortable. Wouldn`t want you to get the thing and then discover that it messes with your knees or somesuch. Like with my wife, she didn`t realize the AirDyne hurt her until she`d done a lot of workouts on it, nice brief ones too, but they ended up being harmful. Good thing I can make use of it or we`d have wasted our $.

Glad you and your wife had a Date Dinner, I don`t go for people being all "no no I don`t touch anything like that now!" about fixing their diets. IMO, if you *really* want a desert you oughta have one. BUT I also believe that something like fried chicken oughta be an awfully rare indulgence..fried anything for that matter.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it`s a long-term thing. Not so much about how it goes from one week to the next but how things go over months/years/decades. If it took [however many years] to put fat on, I`d plan on spending that long taking it off. That`s generally worked out best for people over the long run.

I`ll be interested to hear what their program sounds like. I only do two types of stuff like that: I either spike my HeartRate to ~90% of max or I walk. NOTHING in-between, ever other than the RT (and Leg Day sure spikes my HR to the max). I dunno about the "exercise weight off" approach...OK for a quick jumpstart, but overall I don`t think you can out-exercise a crappy diet.

I`d be all about whether you can adjust the seat/etc. so you`re gonna be comfortable. Wouldn`t want you to get the thing and then discover that it messes with your knees or somesuch. Like with my wife, she didn`t realize the AirDyne hurt her until she`d done a lot of workouts on it, nice brief ones too, but they ended up being harmful. Good thing I can make use of it or we`d have wasted our $.

Glad you and your wife had a Date Dinner, I don`t go for people being all "no no I don`t touch anything like that now!" about fixing their diets. IMO, if you *really* want a desert you oughta have one. BUT I also believe that something like fried chicken oughta be an awfully rare indulgence..fried anything for that matter.
    The Peloton was nice. I think it fits my needs and hopefully will keep me motivated. I already have friends who are doing the Peloton at the same time I plan to use it, so having some accountability should really help. It adjusts all sorts of ways and will fit me (6`2) and my wife (5`1) just fine.

Post Thanks / Like

someidiot- Hey, that`s great!

What kind of info center/read-out does it have?

What kind of programs are you considering? I`m all about efficiency, not gonna waste time at 70-85% of HRmax except when warming up/cooling down. If I can keep something up for more than a few minutes it`s too easy and I might as well just walk (which needs to be done anyhow for arterial flexibility).

Heh heh, the most effective cardio workouts ever studied are also the most efficient; over and done in a few minutes. But those few minutes are absolute agony.

Post Thanks / Like

It gives you cadence (rpm), speed, distance, calories, power output (watts). If you connect a heart rate monitor it gives you "heart rate zones"

Post Thanks / Like

someidiot- Ah, OK, sounds good.

I do recommend using a HR monitor, at least until you get a feel for what "real work" is like. The first time I used one I discovered that what I thought was a "good tough workout" wasn`t even close to being genuinely effective (I was in that [crap]-zone of around 80%max). By the time I discovered my *real* max HR I thought I was gonna die..or at least pass out (although I didn`t). Even the target ~90% was infinitely harder than I`d ever expected. For that matter, the ~65% "easy exertion" target for brisk walking (arterial flexibility) was a bit more difficult than I would`ve thought.

[INSERT usual lecture about how the "220 minus age = HRMax" is just feel-good BS for most people]

Although, once I experienced that a few times I no longer felt I needed the HR monitor as I know what "hard enough" feels like now. Good thing since all my monitors seem to get iffy at high levels of exertion. (NO I don`t have a good one like a smart watch).

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information