Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    jrock645- Ah, maybe that`s it! Wouldn`t it be great if the TRT got you better on-track?!? Wouldn`t surprise me in the least, so I`m really optimistic. I trust they`ve read you the "What to Watch Out For" lecture with regard to side-effects.

Heh heh, I bet that most of us (who *are* trying to be realistic) underestimate our bodyfat levels But coming within 2-3% is awfully close IMO...at least if you`re not already in the single digits.
    Yeah, Im excited about it!

And trt/anabolics are a subject ive done literally hundreds of hours of reading about, because i find it fascinating. Ive been interested in it but wasnt expecting it this soon. Had a good conversation with the doc and he was impressed with my questions and knowledge, and everything i knew checked out with him. Ive read a lot, and talk to a lot of guys on another board on trt, plus follow some really good social media channels that talk really in depth about this stuff. I feel comfortable and really well prepared to deal with it at this point. So, yeah, im definitely excited to see how this changes things.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Man, that`s great, sounds like you`re all dialed-in on the subject.

I`m guessing that you`re young enough that they weren`t tracking your T levels at your annual physicals; I only had mine done because of all the years of not making progress, trying to figure out what was wrong that I wasn`t turning into Arnold

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Man, that`s great, sounds like you`re all dialed-in on the subject.

I`m guessing that you`re young enough that they weren`t tracking your T levels at your annual physicals; I only had mine done because of all the years of not making progress, trying to figure out what was wrong that I wasn`t turning into Arnold
    Yeah they dont check it at physicals. I had it checked 6 months ago and it was identical to the number on monday. Technically in normal range but very low for my age. Im 34 and have the test of a healthy 55 year old, according to their scale.

Im a bit relieved. Nutrition and calorie intake on point and training very solid, getting enough sleep and not doing a whole lot of drinking and felt like i could barely make marginal improvement. Always holding belly fat no matter what. Seemed like it shouldnt be this difficult, but i couldnt figure out what it was. Now at least i know there was a reason, and presumably its being fixed. Will probably take a month to start seeing anything, as thats how long it takes to get to peak blood levels of test.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what a Fitness Tracker considers "Exercise"?

Like...when doing my daily chores, I`ll typically do countless Deep Knee Bends (e.g., picking up sticks and pulling weeds for a few hours, and yeah I do stuff like that pretty much every day) and I jog up/down multi-level flights of stairs countless times throughout the day without even thinking about it.

BUT..most people I know IRL don`t do much like that on a regular basis, let alone all the time. For them, those activities might indeed be exercise.

Post Thanks / Like

No idea what my apple watch counts as exercise. Onviously, if i tell it im on the elliptical it counts that. But it doesnt count when im lifting. But it seems to count a lot of walking around at work. I dont really pay too much attention anymore. Those things are rarely all that accurate anyway.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    Yeah they dont check it at physicals. I had it checked 6 months ago and it was identical to the number on monday. Technically in normal range but very low for my age. Im 34 and have the test of a healthy 55 year old, according to their scale...
    Heh heh, "healthy 55YO" gets the attention of this 59YO! But I gather that like a lot of things, it`s *expected* for the T levels to drop due solely to age.

On the Annual Bloodwork, I had to give `em a list with things like that, stuff that they wouldn`t normally look at.

Im a bit relieved. Nutrition and calorie intake on point and training very solid, getting enough sleep and not doing a whole lot of drinking and felt like i could barely make marginal improvement...
    Yeah, especially with the volume/frequency that you do, having low T could really be handicapping you.

I bet that drinking less and getting better sleep go hand-in-hand. They do for me, I just sleep worse when I`ve been drinking despite never having hangovers/etc. from it..not that I don`t still indulge a couple nights/week. (gee, that reminds me that I haven`t had a beer for nearly two years!)

Always holding belly fat no matter what. Seemed like it shouldnt be this difficult, but i couldnt figure out what it was...
    Heh heh, I bet we all think that at one time or another, but at least you have an *answer* to it!

Will probably take a month to start seeing anything, as thats how long it takes to get to peak blood levels of test.
    It`ll sure be interesting to see how it goes!
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Ah, that`s interesting about the Apple Watch! Gee, when I`m collapsed on the floor after a set of squats I`d be a bit [ticked] if it didn`t count that as "exercise"!

And I guess I`m not surprised that it`s not all that accurate; I`ve never had a HR monitor that really worked *consistently right* when I was maxing out, finally just quit trying to monitor things and decided to just go by Perceived Exertion.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I wore out a Pedal Return Spring on the StairMaster...snapped while I was going full-tilt, which did get my attention. Oughta be a simple DIY fix, and I can get the parts for about half of what the repair place said they`d cost (never mind the service charges).

That`s only the third time it`s needed service in over 30 years, and only one of those required Pro attention...best [darn] wedding present ever

Post Thanks / Like

It`ll soon be time to start a 2020 version of this...just wondering how people`s end-of-year is going.

Since replacing those Pedal Return Springs on the Stair it`s a lot easier than it had been (NOT good news), guess they`d weakened quite a bit. It`s now kinda challenging to get a good demanding workout in without spending more time at it.. I want it to be barely-doable in ~60 second work intervals, and now it`s just *not*. Sigh..the Stair is too easy, the AirDyne is too hard...no Goldilocks Cardio for me

I`m now doing some of my Incline Hiking on the Tread at 4.2mph. Gee, a year ago I would`ve said that wasn`t doable, period.

I`m *SO* glad I started augmenting my Resistance Training with the Elastic Bands! For everything except abs (not sure how I`d do it) and delts & hams (opposite strength curves) the progressive resistance has proven incredibly beneficial. The Nautilus Cams/Hammer Strength units never really worked right for me, but adding a very light Elastic Band *does* work for me, just wonderfully. I might try some other styles of `em and see if I can improve things even more...

Post Thanks / Like

Finishing the year strong here. Was a bit inconsistent for about 3 weeks due to some travel and getting a sinus infection but did tye beat i could and kept it from coming off the rails and kept making some perceivable progress. Overall, weight is hanging steady at 205 but im recompositioning really, really well. A few more weeks of cutting and i should be able to transition into looking for a bit of size.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Glad to hear it`s going well! Are you still planning to do the T replacement in...when was it...Feb.?

People I know IRL are simply going to [Perdition] in a handbasket fitness-wise Plenty of excuses/rationalizations, but the bottom line is still that they`re functionally compromised when they don`t need to be. While I`m basically OK with "eh, not my problem..", it sometimes bugs me to hear "well, now that I`m older.." often from people who are *younger* than I am.

I know some people who ride their bicycles all the time...I gather that distance cycling is often something solidly on the O-C spectrum...people tell me they simply *MUST* do it, and they go nuts when OVERdoing it requires them to stop..even for just a little while. They all have lots of fat, very little muscle too...."how`s that working for ya?" always comes to mind, reminds me of all the joggers I`ve known (none of which still does it, all of which are now out of shape).

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Glad to hear it`s going well! Are you still planning to do the T replacement in...when was it...Feb.?

People I know IRL are simply going to [Perdition] in a handbasket fitness-wise Plenty of excuses/rationalizations, but the bottom line is still that they`re functionally compromised when they don`t need to be. While I`m basically OK with "eh, not my problem..", it sometimes bugs me to hear "well, now that I`m older.." often from people who are *younger* than I am.

I know some people who ride their bicycles all the time...I gather that distance cycling is often something solidly on the O-C spectrum...people tell me they simply *MUST* do it, and they go nuts when OVERdoing it requires them to stop..even for just a little while. They all have lots of fat, very little muscle too...."how`s that working for ya?" always comes to mind, reminds me of all the joggers I`ve known (none of which still does it, all of which are now out of shape).
    T replacement already started. Im almost 3 months in. I start with the coach in February.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    T replacement already started. Im almost 3 months in. I start with the coach in February.
    THAT`S right I realized I got those mixed up about an hour after I posted...suddenly came to me in a "oh [snap].." moment.

Are you discernibly benefiting from the T (yet)? I find that bit *really* interesting since I`m in that "older guy" demographic yet not apparently suffering any downsides yet.

Oh, and I misspoke...the guy who does my wife`s Neuromuscular Therapy does stay in fairly good shape overall, though he still messes himself up doing stuff he always *admits* was irrational. "Why`d you try a max single Dead in the first place?" "Uh, I dunno...just felt I had to do it." "Why?" "I dunno.."

Post Thanks / Like

THAT`S right I realized I got those mixed up about an hour after I posted...suddenly came to me in a "oh [snap].." moment.

Are you discernibly benefiting from the T (yet)? I find that bit *really* interesting since I`m in that "older guy" demographic yet not apparently suffering any downsides yet.

Oh, and I misspoke...the guy who does my wife`s Neuromuscular Therapy does stay in fairly good shape overall, though he still messes himself up doing stuff he always *admits* was irrational. "Why`d you try a max single Dead in the first place?" "Uh, I dunno...just felt I had to do it." "Why?" "I dunno.."

yeah, def losing fat a lot easier than before. I’ve basically been gaining muscle at the same rate as I’ve lost fat. Waist gets smaller, weight doesn’t really change.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Hey, that`s great! Maybe that T level *was* the issue all along.
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread Information