Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Oh and just plain white rice. Brown rice is discouraged, again because its difficult to digest.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Ah, OK thanks for explaining. I almost feel guilty eating white rice, what with its Glycemic Index and supposed lack of real nutritional value

Huh, I simply never thought about foods being hard for somebody to digest...that`s something that slipped right under my radar. If nothing else, some of the stuff that comes up on this thread sure makes me count my blessings.

Post Thanks / Like

Checking in. Made some interesting changes here lately.

Decided to ditch low volume and low frequency training. Plateaued with it, and it never really got me where I wanted. So now I’m on a 6 day a week push/pull/legs program. High volume, 30 sets per workout for upper body, and 18-20 for legs. Hit everything twice a week. I’m also doing almost no cardio anymore. 25 minutes on the elliptical 1-2x’s a week, mainly just because I like it.

Ive also hired a coach, Menno Henselmans. Mennohenselmans.com - Online PT Course, Articles and Online Coaching He’s booked until February, so that’s when we start working together. He’s one of the leading evidence based coaches/trainers/gurus out there. Really up on all the research, actually self funds studies himself, as well. Check his website out. A lot of interesting articles sinking myths.

First priority, he said, is getting me good and lean so I went ahead and got started about 3 weeks ago. Already down 8lbs, and I’m not doing keto. It’s calories in vs calories out, period. So I’m at 1800cals a day, for now. Hopefully I can be about done cutting once me and Menno start working together. Goal is to get to single digit bf%. I’m at about 205lbs now, hoping that getting to 185 will do the trick. We’ll see.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, I`d been thinking we need to revive this thread

jrock645- Yikes, that`s a lot of volume and frequency! Heh heh, bet you knew I`d say that.

Interesting that you`re not doing much cardio while working on getting leaner.

And it`s *ESPECIALLY* interesting that you`re not doing the Keto!! That really surprises me.

Eagerly looking forward to updates

Post Thanks / Like

I`m basically just doing the same ol` same ol`.

I`ve cut my SIT cardio down in duration, going harder and (even) briefer, with one/two of those 10-11 minute workouts/week. I`ve added additional Incline Hiking with much of it done at 4mph, doing that roughly twice/week for up to 55 minutes. Part of that is that I`m not hiking (cross-country) with the dogs as much since the older one developed mobility issues.

Other than 2-3 sets of ab/core work, which I`m doing 2-3/week, I`m still going 12 (forearms)-21(Upper Legs) days between Resistance Workouts and that`s still working great. I`ve dropped the volume just a bit, maybe a set or two fewer to speed up my recovery. Trying to balance the Resistance and Cardio work just right for my Upper Legs remains my biggest challenge; just a few sets of the RT renders me unable to do SIT (or even the 4mph hiking) for way too long.

I`m doing pretty high-rep work compared to what I used to do, especially for my abs. The high-volume Ab work is working out great, wish I`d started doing that earlier.

I`m still experimenting with incorporating the Elastic Bands, trying to use them *only* to accommodate the "Lengthening Effect" where muscles other than Delts and Hams get stronger as the "shorten"/contract. Jone`s Nautilus Strength Curve was all wrong for me, and I`m finding that it`s very easy for me to overdo it even with just a 3-5# band added to the usual resistance; I`m just not *that much* stronger as the muscles contract, only a little. One solution has been to slip the Band off after a few reps, way before I approach failure; I`m doing that maybe every 3rd workout while leaving the Band on most of the time.

Except for my Ab work, no more Drop Sets except for (I don`t consider slipping the band off after a few reps to be a Drop Set since I don`t go to failure before the drop), no more rest-pause (other than the time it takes to slip the band off when I do that).

With ~5 months to go, I`m still a bit behind on my "get in top shape by 60", I figure I never quite caught up from the downtime related to that last eye surgery. But I`m sure on-track to be *better* at 60 while not doing anything....unusual...that would be like a real Contest Prep or anything like that. Still eating as much as I want of whatever I want, not doing any Cutting Supplements, not making big changes to my workouts or otherwise disrupting Normal Daily Life.

I`m trying to find more info about the recent study about Muscle Fiber Types that discussed "Hybrid" muscle fibers and the discovery that the Slow-Fast Twitch diffs happen on a continuum with more like six different types. I haven`t found the actual study yet, trying to make sense out of what articles I can find.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Ah, I`d been thinking we need to revive this thread

jrock645- Yikes, that`s a lot of volume and frequency! Heh heh, bet you knew I`d say that.

Interesting that you`re not doing much cardio while working on getting leaner.

And it`s *ESPECIALLY* interesting that you`re not doing the Keto!! That really surprises me.

Eagerly looking forward to updates
    it is a lot of volume, and it’s rough the first couple weeks. But I’ve adjusted to it and enjoy it now. As far as the cardio goes... per minute spent studies have shown that strength training is just flat out better than cardio for fat loss. I’ve seen high volume guys and HIT’ers both rail against the idea of cardio for fat loss.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- OK, I`ll be interested to hear how it works out for you. Maybe it`s just the Age Factor or some other individual diff, but oh man do you and I go about this stuff in completely different ways!

Leaving aside Fat Loss, no worries about missing out on the benefits of the various Cardio Regimens? I`m doing best by incorporating both Endurance and SIT work. If I quit doing the SIT it *kills* me resuming it, even just a few weeks off (e.g., surgical recovery) really messes with my performance. I started doing the Endurance work after reading about the newest observations about Slow-Twitch Fibers, fibers which I`d previously kinda ignored.

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Heh heh, I logged back on to hit this thread again because I find your experiences and your posts about them so interesting!

I`m *really* flummoxed by your ability to do so many sets, let alone so often. Heh heh, I basically have to *force* myself to limit the volume/frequency lest things go downhill fast. It`s basically become a case of "if in doubt, just don`t exercise" as it`s so easy for me to outpace my recovery ability.

I`m also curious about your low-calorie (well, by my standards) diet and your ongoing quest to get leaner.

I sure think it`s good for you to target single-digit bodyfat, with any luck you`ll get to where you want to be and then find it easy to stay there.

What wasn`t working about your previous approach (esp. with the keto)? You sure prompted me to look into the Keto, enough so that I changed my previously negative opinion of it to "OK, whatever works for *you* sounds good for you".

Oh, and I did find Menno`s articles (I haven`t read `em all) interesting even though my experience has been otherwise. I`ll no more dispute his views than discount my own first-hand experience...and the diffs are pretty striking! Per usual, I do wonder how the age factor applies.

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody else checking this thread out?
    Just peeping and wishing I had Jeremy`s motivation. Grueling workouts help him recover from life`s doodoo? When life gets tough for me, I find pizza and Ben & Jerry`s to be the ticket.

The heat from this summer has kept me inside and very inactive, but now that the weather`s cooler, I`m moving much more. Do any of you wear Apple Watches? An inactive day for me usually reads around 560 calories burned and about 8 exercise minutes. On a busy day I hit around 1000 calories and 25–40 exercise minutes. Swimming runs these numbers high for me; calories may be 1400 and exercise minutes may hit 60 or so.

I`m 6`0" and about 270 pounds right now. I Googled "best life expectancy calculator," filled in the answers, and the test said I`d live until age 51. I`m 50 now.
    —  Jaddie

2012 Honda Odyssey EX-L Nav. (mine)
    2016 Ford Escape Titanium (hers)
    Likes jrock645 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I’m still doing a little cardio. 25 minutes once or twice a week. Since I’ve been lifting more, my resting heart rate is the lowest I think I’ve ever seen it, coming in as low as 48 some days.

And yes, the goal is to get lean and try to stay there. Should be doable, considering when you’re in a lean state your body has much improved nutrient partitioning.

As for what wasn’t working before... I could gain strength but lean muscle was extremely difficult to come by. I modified my approach leading up to the wedding, adding extra workouts and doing more volume and actually noticed getting somewhere during those few months. Went back to 3 weight lifting sessions a week after getting back from Spain, a program with some similarities to HIT. Running just a 200 calorie surplus, I noticed putting on fat in just two to three weeks. And that’s kinda been my experience with low volume training. I can get bigger on it, but MOST of it doesn’t go where I want it. So, back to high volume and high frequency it is. And I wouldn’t know where to start with writing a program like this properly, so I purchased it from John Meadows website, Health Nutrition Fitness Customized Meal Training Plan Program Coaches Mountain Dog Diet

As for keto, theres certain things I like about it but training feels so much better with some carbs in you. And doing keto properly really means almost never eating carbs. Like maybe once a month. I could never do that. And reading on Menno Henselman’s website, comparing studies of keto and non keto groups, keto is not inherently any better for fat loss. Still about calories. THat said, I’m not bashing keto by any means. There’s a lot of science backing it up and a lot of health benefits that go with it. It’s just not for me right now, but I wouldn’t rule out trying it again at another point.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Jaddie- Welcome to the thread

Yes indeed, the heat down there in GA can be brutal!

Heh heh, I bet that Life Expectancy Calculator got your attention! Hey, starting at 50 while you`re still doing OK is a lot better than trying to start later after you`ve developed problems.

I`ve never used any kind of Fitness Tracker, but I sure think they`re great for the vast majority of people. It sounds like you need some way to boost your overall activity level to basically ease into the whole "Athletically Active Lifestyle".

And, heh heh...I`d quit using food for anything other than fueling the machine Just losing the "eat for psych reasons" would probably make a huge difference in all sorts of ways, both physical and mental.

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- That`s one *VERY* admirable resting heartrate you have there! Heh heh, guess I`d better just shut up about you doing cardio I`ll also shut up about the volume/frequency..well, after this one last plea that you be *so* careful to not incur injury or otherwise overtrain yourself. Heh heh, hey..I was doing as much as you when I was your age

What about tweaking that "200 calorie surplus"? My threshold is roughly similar- eat a bit too much and I`ll start to lose some definition (when that happens I immediately try to tweak things before the fat-gain is anything significant).

Part of what I find interesting is that your weight varies so much Mine used to go up a few pounds during the Holidays but that hasn`t happened for a while, or at least not so much that I have to give it any thought after those Holidays are over.

The whole Keto procedure would`ve been too much for me even if I could enjoy a diet like that..planning, having the right stuff on-hand, just too involved for me. And I`m not giving up the waffle in my Denny`s bfast anyhow

Thinking how I haven`t had my Body Composition tested since forever (the `90s), I`m curious how you`re gauging yours. Are you having it tested or going by how you look (that`s still what I do) or what you weigh, or how your clothes fit, or...what?

Post Thanks / Like

Heh heh...if I have everything so figured out, then why am I behind schedule for my "even more Fit at 60"?!? It`s not like I don`t have room for improvement; Clarence Bass was great at 60. But he did a rigorous 11 month Contest Prep cycle for it too.

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- That`s one *VERY* admirable resting heartrate you have there! Heh heh, guess I`d better just shut up about you doing cardio I`ll also shut up about the volume/frequency..well, after this one last plea that you be *so* careful to not incur injury or otherwise overtrain yourself. Heh heh, hey..I was doing as much as you when I was your age

What about tweaking that "200 calorie surplus"? My threshold is roughly similar- eat a bit too much and I`ll start to lose some definition (when that happens I immediately try to tweak things before the fat-gain is anything significant).

Part of what I find interesting is that your weight varies so much Mine used to go up a few pounds during the Holidays but that hasn`t happened for a while, or at least not so much that I have to give it any thought after those Holidays are over.

The whole Keto procedure would`ve been too much for me even if I could enjoy a diet like that..planning, having the right stuff on-hand, just too involved for me. And I`m not giving up the waffle in my Denny`s bfast anyhow

Thinking how I haven`t had my Body Composition tested since forever (the `90s), I`m curious how you`re gauging yours. Are you having it tested or going by how you look (that`s still what I do) or what you weigh, or how your clothes fit, or...what?
    Actually had and InBody scan done at a men’s clinic on Monday. My method of guessing based on what I was seeing in the mirror was within 2-3% of where I figured I was, but the scan had me a bit higher. Had a consult and turns out I have low testosterone and the doc prescribed trt. Explains why I feel like I’ve been spinning my wheels a bit. Started trt this week, so looking forward to seeing how that improves things.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Ah, maybe that`s it! Wouldn`t it be great if the TRT got you better on-track?!? Wouldn`t surprise me in the least, so I`m really optimistic. I trust they`ve read you the "What to Watch Out For" lecture with regard to side-effects.

Heh heh, I bet that most of us (who *are* trying to be realistic) underestimate our bodyfat levels But coming within 2-3% is awfully close IMO...at least if you`re not already in the single digits.

Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread Information