Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

jrock545- When doing the Seated LCs, do you lean forward (bend at waist) as you do the reps (during the positive part)? Supposedly that not only works the Hams better but also relieves stress on the back. I see people sitting with their backs pressed against the seat and supposedly that`s all wrong biomechanically-speaking. I don`t really know myself as I`ve never done the movement enough to figure it out. If you`ve never tried doing that, might be worth experimenting with, if nothing else it oughta make the movement *safer* and IMO that`s a plus when it comes to trying something new.

Since you`re taking precautions with your back, are you doing any Straight-leg/Romanian Deads or Good Mornings (for your Hams)? I`m still astounded how well the latter work for me, infinitely better than the Deads despite using baby weights, but my wife (spinal fusion) does better with the Deads (Romanian style, slight bend in the knees).

Oh, and waiting *23* days between Leg workouts resulted in so many more reps yesterday that I might have to up the resistance! An extra four days before Chest/Tris and going *four weeks* between AirDyne cardio sessions resulted in my best performance on those in ages too. This limited volume/infrequent workout thing is getting kinda crazy but it just keeps working for me. And *not* doing the Drop Sets/etc. was indeed a good idea, sure didn`t expect that one either.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t purposely lean forward during the movement, but I think it’s natural to lean forward just a bit, but I never feel any stress on my back doing seated lc’s.

Any deadlift variation at all aggravates my back. They’re simply out of the question. I am interested in trying weighted hip thrusts, though. That glute/posterior chain activation is supposed to be excellent for the back.

And I felt good enough today to do leg movements again. Pushed the whole stack on the leg press 18 times.

Im gonna be switching to DoggCrapp training after the wedding. Looking forward to trying something new.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- That`s great, sounds like you`re all OK.

Glad your back doesn`t mind the seated LCs. Lying ones can really put strain on the wrong places.

Did you lose any strength on the Leg Press from taking a few days rest? 18 reps with the whole stack sounds good to me!

I`m still quite sore from Wed.`s Leg Day, had to back my walking down to 3.6 yesterday and even that was a bit of work. Definitely was *not* up to that 4mph stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone familiar with Peleton bikes? I’ve got to do something low impact to rehab my back and get my energy back. I like the idea of a “trainer”. When I worked out in the Army I always had a workout buddy to push me. I was always more into sports where Competition was more of a motivator. I always hated running in formation. My stride would never match up and I would wind up with shin splints.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    jrock645- That`s great, sounds like you`re all OK.

Glad your back doesn`t mind the seated LCs. Lying ones can really put strain on the wrong places.

Did you lose any strength on the Leg Press from taking a few days rest? 18 reps with the whole stack sounds good to me!

I`m still quite sore from Wed.`s Leg Day, had to back my walking down to 3.6 yesterday and even that was a bit of work. Definitely was *not* up to that 4mph stuff!
    Nope, 18 reps is pretty consistent with my last couple workouts.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    Anyone familiar with Peleton bikes? I’ve got to do something low impact to rehab my back and get my energy back. I like the idea of a “trainer”. When I worked out in the Army I always had a workout buddy to push me. I was always more into sports where Competition was more of a motivator. I always hated running in formation. My stride would never match up and I would wind up with shin splints.
    Theyre really nice but crazy expensive. Big up front cost plus the monthly fee. I can’t believe that at a price tag like that it doesn’t include the service at least for the first year.

Id just get an air assault bike or a max trainer if it was me. But then again I’m a really self motivated person and grueling workouts are how I meditate and decompress from the rest of life’s bs.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec
    Thanks rlmccarty2000 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah I’m not as motivated as I was in my 20-40s. The older you get sometimes laziness sets in and you have to look for that extra motivation and that’s where I thought a Peleton might work out. I am still competitive and always have been, so I’m going to push to be first if there is a race or a timed course. But if it’s just a road course at your own pace I know I wouldn’t get much out of it.

The cost is crazy. I’m trying to pick up a used one on eBay. New ones are over $2500 plus the subscription fee. It would be worth it if it works well. I’ve looked at Nautilus and Nordictrak and they cost less so I may have to go that way, but something has to give before I start putting on weight that I can get off. I’ve been right at 200 pounds since I was 18 and never varied much from that unless I got sick and lost weight. 200 is a good weight for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Autopian someidiot and his wife use/love their Peloton and his take on it is buried somewhere in this thread. He even makes a good case regarding its cost.

If something`s just too expensive then that`s that, but if it`s "affordable if you`d really use it" I wouldn`t let the price deter you from something that`s right *for you*. Our Cardio equipment was kinda pricey (OK, the StairMaster was a wedding present), but after decades of use I`m sure glad we bought it.

I sure do find the Motivation subject interesting! Like jrock645, I`m internally motivated (to a kinda weird degree, if anything I`m often too hard on myself).

And I find it genuinely weird how much I DISlike training with others. Whether my training partner is more/equally/less in-shape than I am doesn`t matter, I simply never have a good workout unless I`m by myself. My wife claims it`s related to my Learning Style; that I`m "deep-self kinesthetic".

Post Thanks / Like

Quiet thread lately!

jrock645- You get married?!? How was the trip?

someidiot- Still rocking the Peloton?

rlmccarty2000- You ever look into the Peloton?

Anybody else checking this thread out? I`m more and more convinced all the time that fitness is the key to successful aging, and UNsuccessful aging doesn`t look fun.

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW I still walk 4miles every other day even in this heat and high humidity. I feel more energetic for the rest of the day after I do so.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Quiet thread lately!

jrock645- You get married?!? How was the trip?

someidiot- Still rocking the Peloton?

rlmccarty2000- You ever look into the Peloton?

Anybody else checking this thread out? I`m more and more convinced all the time that fitness is the key to successful aging, and UNsuccessful aging doesn`t look fun.

I did get married! And the trip to Ibiza was amazing. I highly recommend it to anyone. Mostly know for partying and night life, but they have it all there. Want quiet and secluded? They’ve got that too. Had a great time.

And I’m still plugging away in the gym, started DoggCrapp program. I lift m/w/f. An A workout and a B workout. 5 exercises per workout, 1 set each. Similar to HIT yet different. I try to swim one day a week, too. Goal is to try and get a little stronger.

Been following the Vertical Diet here lately. I like it, seems to be working well for me.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bill D View Post
    FWIW I still walk 4miles every other day even in this heat and high humidity. I feel more energetic for the rest of the day after I do so.
    Good on you! Heh heh, I think of your walking regimen often...maybe more often than I actually *do* my own walking, now that the older dog isn`t up to the usual outings.

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645
    I did get married! And the trip to Ibiza was amazing.. Had a great time...

Congratulations! And I`m glad the trip was great.

And I’m still plugging away in the gym, started DoggCrapp program. I lift m/w/f. An A workout and a B workout. 5 exercises per workout, 1 set each. Similar to HIT yet different..

Ah, good, people often seem to kinda take the summer off. I like the limited volume of that workout regimen, and I`ll be curious to hear how the m/w/f frequency goes.
    I try to swim one day a week, too.
    Do you have a convenient way to do the swimming?

Been following the Vertical Diet here lately. I like it, seems to be working well for me.
    "Vertical Diet"?

Post Thanks / Like

Good on you! Heh heh, I think of your walking regimen often...maybe more often than I actually *do* my own walking, now that the older dog isn`t up to the usual outings.

[/COLOR]Congratulations! And I`m glad the trip was great.

Ah, good, people often seem to kinda take the summer off. I like the limited volume of that workout regimen, and I`ll be curious to hear how the m/w/f frequency goes.

Do you have a convenient way to do the swimming?

[/COLOR]

"Vertical Diet"?

My gym gym has a pool. Only trick is timing- not trying to swim when they have a water aerobics class or if the pool is just full with other swimmers. I usually try to swim on sundays and that mostly works out pretty well.

The Vertical Diet was put together by a former bodybuilder turned coach named Stan efferding. Whole food based, geared toward eliminating or minimizing foods that are hard to digest. Logic being that as an athlete you need to eat more but that’s tough if your stomach is always having to work too hard to break down what you eat. So, he recommends beef and rice as your main calorie sources. He stresses the importance of micronutrients, so Beef is superior to white meat for its b vitamin and iron content, among other things. Other regular things to include are yogurt, some milk, oranges, sweet potatoes, bell peppers, whole eggs, nuts, some seafood and liver. I primarily eat beef and sweet potatoes as I’m keeping a cautious approach to how many carbs I eat and want the nutrients from sweet potato. I eat salmon twice a week, usually liver once a week, veggies(including bell peppers) in two meals a day, plus some carrot/spinach/blueberry and half banana in my am smoothie(with a scoop of protein).

Ive found my stomach to be a lot calmer, as this diet says to avoid oats, quinoa, grains in general(eating an occasional pasta is ok but it shouldn’t be a regular part of your diet, just one example), and cruciferous vegetables since these things typically cause GI distress.

Theres more info on the web, I’m just briefly summarizing.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Ah, glad the gym`s pool is available (pretty often).

Thanks for explaining the Vertical Diet...interesting that it features rice, what kind? I have white rice with my salmon, something many would never touch. Heh heh, I honestly wish that I liked sweet potatoes! You and Accumulatorette are on the same page with the spinach and bananas, more foods I wish I liked...at least we all like blueberries

Glad it`s working so well for you, some people are indeed more sensitive to certain grains (and the cruciferous veggies, and all sorts of other things for that matter) than others! I was wondering what you`d do for your ongoing diet and figured it`d still lean towards the Keto side of things.

How is married life factoring in with regard to your diet? We`re kinda weird here, often having different things that we each cook for ourselves. Guess it`s not *that* weird, considering that my wife likes all sorts of things that I don`t and appreciates some variety....Per usual, *I* am the Weird Factor

Post Thanks / Like

We eat together on my days off, but we do different stuff for our meal prep to take with us to work during the week. Weve been living together for 2 years so this is pretty standard for us and seems to work out well.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread Information