Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Might have encountered a problem. Strained a glute muscle during Sunday’s extended cardio workout. Already had a massage scheduled for Monday, I figured it’d be good to get it worked on. Tried to knead the tightness out. My whole butt cheek is swollen today. It’s huge, noticeably larger than the other. Not sure what to do.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Oh man, so sorry to hear that!

What were you doing that could`ve caused that?

Any chance that it needs medical attention? The swelling sounds bad...

What did the masseur think of it? The Neuromuscular Massage guy my wife sees would know much more about such stuff than I do (well, gee I don`t know much of anything).

I`d have been less surprised if *I* did that since I`m all about "quick and HARD" for my cardio and I don`t always do a lot of warmup.

Posititive spin attempt: Think of it as a forced layoff from lower body work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    jrock645- Oh man, so sorry to hear that!

What were you doing that could`ve caused that?

Any chance that it needs medical attention? The swelling sounds bad...

What did the masseur think of it? The Neuromuscular Massage guy my wife sees would know much more about such stuff than I do (well, gee I don`t know much of anything).

I`d have been less surprised if *I* did that since I`m all about "quick and HARD" for my cardio and I don`t always do a lot of warmup.

Posititive spin attempt: Think of it as a forced layoff from lower body work.

I did 40 minutes incline walking on the treadmill after all my other stuff. Started getting tired and posture started to break down. Was leaning forward a bit during the latter half of the walking. Strained the glute medius from the poor posture. Part of me wonders if i tore it because of how bad the swelling was.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Thanks for explaining, and I appreciate that discussing it might not exactly be fun.

I`d expect a *tear* to be an immediate kind of acute issue..like you`d know *right then* that something was seriously wrong.

Is it getting any better/worse?

FWIW, 40 minutes of inclined walking is what *I* do! But yeah, gotta know when to say "when" and bad posture can bite ya. Trying to do cardio *after* a RT workout would never work for me, I`d be way too trashed...I can`t really function normally for a while afterwards

If nothing else, you`re making me appreciate my situation...where I can do the cardio completely separate from my RT.

Oh, almost forgot to ask- what kind of incline were you using? Mine only goes up to ~15° (or so it says in the manual).

Post Thanks / Like

Eh, I`m editing/revising this right when you`re on the thread

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Thanks for explaining, and I appreciate that discussing it might not exactly be fun.

I`d expect a *tear* to be an immediate kind of acute issue..like you`d know *right then* that something was seriously wrong.

Is it getting any better/worse?

FWIW, 40 minutes of inclined walking is what *I* do! But yeah, gotta know when to say "when" and bad posture can bite ya. Trying to do cardio *after* a RT workout would never work for me, I`d be way too trashed...I can`t really function normally for a while afterwards

If nothing else, you`re making me appreciate my situation...where I can do the cardio completely separate from my RT.

Oh, almost forgot to ask- what kind of incline were you using? Mine only goes up to ~15° (or so it says in the manual).

Seems to be getting better, may not be as bad as I thought. Gonna take it easy on legs till the middle of the week and then proceed with caution.

I don’t know what the degree is, and I’m not sure if the “level” of incline corresponds to degrees. I usually do 6-7.5. That’s the “level,” may or may not be degrees.

Tuesday night was very concerning. One glute was swollen up like Kim k’s backside. It was nuts.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- I believe you that it was very concerning! *I* was very concerned. I guess it`s no surprise that if I were in your shoes I`d lay off the leg work (including cardio) for a lot longer than you probably will

Yeah, that whole "level vs. incline" is goofy and I bet they do that intentionally. Mine has 12 levels that supposedly add up to a max incline of 15° but who knows...

I was thinking of you when doing yesterday`s cardio...I`d done a warmup on the StairMaster, suffered through four good intervals on the AirDyne, and decided to reward myself with a nice easy hike on the treadmill...that ended up being another 4mph/steep incline session I was telling myself "don`t overdo this, don`t incur an injury!" the whole time but I did it anyhow. Luckily everything went OK.

With the cardio, I find it psychologically hard to back off once I`ve done something. It`s like the previous challenge becomes the New Normal and doing anything less seems like backsliding that I oughta avoid. Funny, but I`m *not* that way about the RT for some reason; I just accept that some days I`m stronger than others.

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- How did the discomfort/swelling abate? Like...did it start clearing up gradually or get better overnight? Man, I`m *so* glad you`re not out of action in a big way!

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- How did the discomfort/swelling abate? Like...did it start clearing up gradually or get better overnight? Man, I`m *so* glad you`re not out of action in a big way!
    Went down over 2 days. Took a meloxicam and used voltaren gel tuesday night. Was still a bit swollen wednesday night but not nearly as bad. By yesterday it seemed normal.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Ah, good, I was afraid it could take a lot longer than that.

Any way I can talk you into not working your lower body for a week or two? Or at least finding a way to avoid working your glutes...

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Ah, good, I was afraid it could take a lot longer than that.

Any way I can talk you into not working your lower body for a week or two? Or at least finding a way to avoid working your glutes...
    Probably gonna stick to isolation movements till at least next weekend. Extensions, curls. No presses, no v squat. And cardio I’ll go easy. That’ll basically give two weeks for recovery, today marks a week.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- Well, at least that`s a *little* of a layoff! Wonder whether you`ll come back stronger.

I`m guessing you have a good Leg Curl station available if you can do those without it impacting your glutes. That`s one thing I`d really like to upgrade some day. Eh, I dunno if I`ve ever seen..or at least used...a Lying Leg Curl station that was biomechanically correct..they all bug my back to some extent. I`ve definitely never seen/heard of one with the right strength curve (i.e., opposite of the Nautilus Cam), and sigh...I don`t really have room for another big piece of equipment anyhow. (Hey, a guy can dream )

Is your normal day-to-day movement/walking/etc. all OK now? Any little twinges that whisper "maybe keep taking it easy" or is it all better?

Post Thanks / Like

Walking and everything feels normal.

And my gym has seated leg curls, which takes all the pressure off the glutes/back. I can’t do the lying curls at all, too hard on the back.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- So glad you`re doing OK! With any luck it`ll be one of those "once recovered, it`ll be stronger and less susceptible to future injury" kind of things.

Ah, Seated LCs...OK. I`ve only done those when at resorts/etc. that had them, didn`t even think of those. I assume you`re doing the, uhm..."torso movement" thing, especially since you want to protect your back.

I have to pile up different pads/etc. on the bench to do my (Lying) LCs, not even *close* to optimal, but at least I`m not injuring myself. I`m still repeating the first ~25% of the movement on each rep to better accommodate the Hams` strength curve, another far-from-optimal adaptation.

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- So glad you`re doing OK! With any luck it`ll be one of those "once recovered, it`ll be stronger and less susceptible to future injury" kind of things.

Ah, Seated LCs...OK. I`ve only done those when at resorts/etc. that had them, didn`t even think of those. I assume you`re doing the, uhm..."torso movement" thing, especially since you want to protect your back.

I have to pile up different pads/etc. on the bench to do my (Lying) LCs, not even *close* to optimal, but at least I`m not injuring myself. I`m still repeating the first ~25% of the movement on each rep to better accommodate the Hams` strength curve, another far-from-optimal adaptation.
    Yeah I definitely wedge myself in there pretty tight.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread Information