Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast
Results 226 to 240 of 272
  1. #226

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

    Accumulator- As long as your CRP is low you`ve got your inflammation issues covered.

    Astaxanthin might be overkill but my other motive for using it is based on anecdotal feedback. Seems that the higher doses allow you to recoup from sun exposure, as far as too much, much quicker. Haven`t had a sunburn that stuck and peeled since I started using it. And, here in sunny Southern California, I get plenty of exposure. I might turn pink in spots but it`s not painful and it fades to a suntan fairly fast. Not a drop of sunscreen or suntan lotion used in that time . As usual "YMMV".

  2. #227

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    84,102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

    Marine Clerk- I figure that a lot of Silent Inflammation could be going on even with decent CRP results, but again, I`m really just thinking on it rather than getting ready to run out and buy more supplements

    That`s a good point about the sunburn! I`ve noticed that I haven`t had a bad burn since forever either, coinciding with my Fish Oil dosing. Maybe I`m just not overdoing the exposure the way I used to, but OTOH I never use sunscreen unless I`ll be in the sun all day and I sure spend plenty of time outdoors.

  3. #228

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    84,102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

    In the few workouts since I quit doing Drop Sets, I`ve still been getting a bit of DOMS, and/but more importantly I`ve made progress. More weight (OK, like..+1.25-2.5lbs. but still..) and/or more reps (OK, maybe just one or two, but sometimes more) and/or a sense of being able to maintain better form throughout the set. And I`ve been able to work the same musclegroups again a little sooner than usual, definitely recovering faster. (Waiting my usual ~2 weeks does not indicate any detraining either, so it`s not like I`ve traded one issue for another.)

    I`m thinking I`ll only do those "Intensity Increasing Tweaks" like Drop Sets infrequently from now on. I`m sure not *suffering* from not doing them and the less wear-and-tear the better. We`ll see what I do next time I plateau.

    I do recognize that my "desired results despite minimum exercising" isn`t what everybody`s after, but if nothing else it sure makes for a good comeback when people tell me they "don`t have time to exercise all the time" the way they think I do. If I weren`t chasing DOMS all the time I might even cut back more!

  4. #229

    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Huntington Beach, Ca
    Posts
    125
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

    Accumulator- I still think a CRP test covers inflammation levels across the spectrum.

    Take a look at this article I found. Interesting reading and not too technical. https://optimalhealthknowledge.com/i...silent-killer/

    Found what they said about supplements at the tail end of it particularly interesting.

    That being said, they do kind of suggest the reader to do a CRP test through one of their affiliates. But all in all it doesn`t seem to shade the gist of the article much.

  5. #230

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    84,102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

    Marine Clerk- Thanks for the link, that`s a good article that covers what people oughta know about the Silent Inflammation. Heh heh, I think their copyeditor might`ve missed a typo in the Curcumin part, but yeah...those supplements are in our cupboard (although I`m not taking the Boswellia and just get curcumin from using it when cooking).

    Interesting that my exercise never spiked my CRP results as I`d never backed off any prior to bloodwork.

    I had always just thought of the CRP level as being related to Heart Disease as opposed to being a good indicator of overall inflammation, but between your posts and the quickie lookup that they precipitated, I now know better, and more than I did previously So thanks!

    (I bet Sears mentioned the CRP/inflammation link somewhere in his books, but I must`ve missed/forgotten it )
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

  6. #231

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    84,102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

    So how`s everybody doing?

    jrock645- IIRC, you`re about, what...six weeks out?..from your trip?

    someidiot- How`re the Peloton workouts going?

    minerigger- How`re you doing with that demanding work *and* those workouts?

    marine clerk- We`ve discussed inflammation/etc. so much that I`ve forgotten what your workouts are like!

    Pook1978- how`re you doing? Making incremental changes?

    What about everybody else?

  7. #232

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    84,102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

    Bill D- Are you still walking a lot? Man...how do you find the TIME?

    I can barely walk "normally" at 3.8mph. Any faster and I`m forced to move weirdly, like "race walking" or something. Not good IMO, especially at the incline I like do do it. So for me to do 2-2.5 miles takes a bit of time, and I`m just doing it in my basement! Yeah, I also walk the dogs cross-country, but that`s a whole `nother thing IMO.

    I`m finding this pace/gait topic intriguing. I see paces up to 4mph listed as "marching" pace, and if I set my Precor to 4mph I simply can`t keep up with anything resembling a walking gait. For me, an indicated 3.2-3.4mph is a normal walking pace; it`s basically how I walk all the time, and it`s a bit faster than anybody else I know IRL. I suspect I`m "the guy walking pretty fast" at the grocery/etc. IIRC, it`s the old Milspec "quick time".

    How anybody with a normal stride walks at 4mph is beyond me.

  8. #233
    Hooked For Life Bill D's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    The First Coast
    Posts
    12,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

    Hi Accumulator.

    Yes I walk 4 miles every other day. My schedule is when I work nights which is every other day. That’s how I can find the time. I walk in all conditions. Even in 95 degree heat that we’ve been having lately here. I tell myself it’s only for an hour and five minutes and sometimes I can even shave time off that. Im doing very well with it. Still not on cholesterol or blood pressure meds like my parents are.

    I encourage anyone to walk as much as they can. It’s gotta be the simplest exercise you can do.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

  9. #234
    jrock645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,991
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    So how`s everybody doing?

    jrock645- IIRC, you`re about, what...six weeks out?..from your trip?

    someidiot- How`re the Peloton workouts going?

    minerigger- How`re you doing with that demanding work *and* those workouts?

    marine clerk- We`ve discussed inflammation/etc. so much that I`ve forgotten what your workouts are like!

    Pook1978- how`re you doing? Making incremental changes?

    What about everybody else?
    Yes 6 weeks out. Went to a tailor on Tuesday to get alterations done. Nothing fits anymore. Two years ago, I bought a suit in a size 46 jacket and I was swimming in it, so had to exchange it for a 44. Now the 44’s are all a bit tight. Tailor can make it work, but it’s a lot of alteration so it’s expensive. I needed the tux done but also had two brand new suits and a jacket that I’d not had altered yet. Got expensive quick. Also needed a tuxedo shirt custom made, along with a vest. All said and done, it was breathtakingly expensive.

    But it’s interesting seeing what a couple years of weight lifting will do. You don’t notice it in real time, but when things eventually don’t fit anymore because your chest and shoulders are bigger... kind of a cool feeling.

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Bill D- Are you still walking a lot? Man...how do you find the TIME?

    I can barely walk "normally" at 3.8mph. Any faster and I`m forced to move weirdly, like "race walking" or something. Not good IMO, especially at the incline I like do do it. So for me to do 2-2.5 miles takes a bit of time, and I`m just doing it in my basement! Yeah, I also walk the dogs cross-country, but that`s a whole `nother thing IMO.

    I`m finding this pace/gait topic intriguing. I see paces up to 4mph listed as "marching" pace, and if I set my Precor to 4mph I simply can`t keep up with anything resembling a walking gait. For me, an indicated 3.2-3.4mph is a normal walking pace; it`s basically how I walk all the time, and it`s a bit faster than anybody else I know IRL. I suspect I`m "the guy walking pretty fast" at the grocery/etc. IIRC, it`s the old Milspec "quick time".

    How anybody with a normal stride walks at 4mph is beyond me.
    Agreed. I walk faster than anybody I’ve ever known, and 3.7 is about the fastest I can do on a treadmill before it doesn’t feel like walking anymore.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

  10. #235

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    84,102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    I can barely walk "normally" at 3.8mph. Any faster and I`m forced to move weirdly, like "race walking" or something....
    How anybody with a normal stride walks at 4mph is beyond me.
    Eh, spoke too soon I must`ve tried the faster pace on an off-day or something. This morning I warmed up per usual but cranked it up to 4mph. Seemed OK so I went ahead and did my usual up hill-maintain (but not for too long!)-down hill routines and it went OK. Not *easy*, and I had to adjust my gait a bit, especially at the highest incline (~15% grade, well.. supposedly), but I did it just fine.

    I`ll probably still do a lot (most?) of my treadmill walking at 3.8, but at least now I know I can do the 4 OK and I`m gonna work at the duration at the highest incline.

    Funny how it seemed so impossible before...

  11. #236

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    84,102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

    Bill D- Ah, OK, thanks for explaining. That *still* seems like a long time to me, but when you`re enjoying something enough time does fly. I`m somehow stuck around the 40 min. mark...whether walking the dogs or hiking on the treadmill, that`s about as much time as I can do without it seeming onerous. Perhaps the diff is related to FLA vs. OH

    jrock645- I know exactly what you mean about the alterations/custom tailoring getting pricey! Glad your tailor can still make do so you don`t have to replace everything. Sigh...I can no longer fit into my fave dress shirts and the fabric isn`t available any more

    Who makes good shirts in your area? I can still only get what I like from Moda Georgio in Phoenix. I worry they`ll close up shop some day, don`t know what I`d do.

    Curious what you`ll go for in the Tux Shirt, I got away from wing collars for those a while back, deciding I like the straight collars better. Regular pleated fronts look weird on me these days,especially when I`m seated (due to my build), so I go with either stitched pleats or a pique bib depending on the weather (the bib could be a bit warm in the summer).

  12. #237
    jrock645's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    Atlanta, Ga
    Posts
    1,991
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Bill D- Ah, OK, thanks for explaining. That *still* seems like a long time to me, but when you`re enjoying something enough time does fly. I`m somehow stuck around the 40 min. mark...whether walking the dogs or hiking on the treadmill, that`s about as much time as I can do without it seeming onerous. Perhaps the diff is related to FLA vs. OH

    jrock645- I know exactly what you mean about the alterations/custom tailoring getting pricey! Glad your tailor can still make do so you don`t have to replace everything. Sigh...I can no longer fit into my fave dress shirts and the fabric isn`t available any more

    Who makes good shirts in your area? I can still only get what I like from Moda Georgio in Phoenix. I worry they`ll close up shop some day, don`t know what I`d do.

    Curious what you`ll go for in the Tux Shirt, I got away from wing collars for those a while back, deciding I like the straight collars better. Regular pleated fronts look weird on me these days,especially when I`m seated (due to my build), so I go with either stitched pleats or a pique bib depending on the weather (the bib could be a bit warm in the summer).
    I got normal collar, plain front tux shirt. At least I’ll be able to wear it for other stuff, just needs cuff links which I’m fine with.

    I went to a place here in Atlanta called hkt clothier. Supposed to be one of the best shops in town. They essentially have nothing that you can walk in and buy. It’s all bespoke, made to measure type stuff. Thousands of fabrics to choose from. The first fabric I picked for the best was gonna cost $995 just for a vest. Not a suit, a vest, for $1k. Unreal.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

  13. #238

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    84,102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

    jrock645- Ah, HKT sounds good! Wish we still had such shops remotely local to me. MtM is indeed the way to go when you`re in that tough-to-fit category. And yeah, it can indeed get pricey. I`m glad I got my big-ticket items when prices seemed more reasonable and that I haven`t outgrown that stuff.

    Not sure why I no longer like wing collars with tuxes...but yeah, being able to wear that shirt with other stuff will get more use out of it. Some of my formalwear shirts probably got worn twice before I outgrew `em

  14. #239

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Nashville
    Posts
    494
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

    Peloton is going well. Dropped off a little, but I`m starting an 8 week challenge today that looks like it`s going to be pretty good. Still loving it, still recommend it for anyone.

    Fell off the keto wagon, but I knew it wasn`t going to be a long term thing. Still making better decisions than prior. Haven`t lost any additional weight.

  15. #240

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    84,102
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

    someidiot- Glad you found a motivational challenge to keep your enthusiasm up! And *SO* glad you`re sitll loving it.

    Seems like a lot of people just don`t/won`t/can`t stick with the keto, but I understand completely how that helped you make better decisions. Just thinking consciously about what you ingest is huge IMO, and going Keto sure gets you into that.

    Ah, yeah...those "sticking points", whether related to weight loss or exercise/etc. gains are always a challenge, if only psychologically. I`d be thinking about building muscle to raise that metabolism (and guard against sarcopenia), but then I`m always focusing on that anyhow. And with muscle weighing more than fat, it can maybe help with the psych aspect of "hey, I`m not losing weight".

    Are you on a plan/schedule regarding the weight loss or approaching it in the general sense? Absent Bodyweight Composition Testing it can be hard to tell just what`s going on there when you`re exercising and I bet your legs are responding to the Peloton by getting, well...heavier.

 

 
Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 2018 Health and Fitness Thread
    By Accumulator in forum Hot Tub
    Replies: 498
    Last Post: 01-01-2019, 10:54 PM
  2. 2019 Hyundai Kona protected by Modesta
    By Mike lambert in forum Click & Brag -The Detailers Showcase
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-11-2018, 03:15 PM
  3. 2017 Health and Fitness Thread
    By House of Wax in forum Hot Tub
    Replies: 333
    Last Post: 03-28-2018, 03:06 PM
  4. DTM/ health-fitness etc.
    By pgp in forum Hot Tub
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-06-2009, 09:11 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •