Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

jrock645- Ah, glad your quad soreness dissipated! I hear you on the squats/back, interesting that the Hacks don`t bother it. I`m getting more and more into doing my squats with the Hip Belt and cable apparatus (with elastic bands added to tweak the resistance curve). Wish I had a fabrication shop so I could make my version of the optimal Hip Belt Squat Machine

I kinda overdid my last Upper Leg workout, did seven sets between Quads and Hams and that left me way too sore to do my cardio on schedule, needed six days rest. Great workout though, I was a *little* surprised that I hadn`t lost strength/endurance having taken so many weeks off due to the Eye Repair thing, but that`s just how it always seems to go. I did lose a few reps on Back day from the longish lay-off, but no size/mass that I can tell.

Oh, and IMO that`s a good price for LA Fitness, can`t argue with a dollar/day.

minerigger- Yeah, I simply cannot maintain condition without specific exercises. No matter how hard I work at manual labor, it`s just not the same as targeting/training muscles in the optimal manner.

What`s "Wendler 5/3/1"? Heh heh, it sounds high-volume to me! But then I say that about anything that`s not just a few sets every few weeks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    jrock645- Ah, glad your quad soreness dissipated! I hear you on the squats/back, interesting that the Hacks don`t bother it. I`m getting more and more into doing my squats with the Hip Belt and cable apparatus (with elastic bands added to tweak the resistance curve). Wish I had a fabrication shop so I could make my version of the optimal Hip Belt Squat Machine

I kinda overdid my last Upper Leg workout, did seven sets between Quads and Hams and that left me way too sore to do my cardio on schedule, needed six days rest. Great workout though, I was a *little* surprised that I hadn`t lost strength/endurance having taken so many weeks off due to the Eye Repair thing, but that`s just how it always seems to go. I did lose a few reps on Back day from the longish lay-off, but no size/mass that I can tell.

minerigger- Yeah, I simply cannot maintain condition without specific exercises. No matter how hard I work at manual labor, it`s just not the same as targeting/training muscles in the optimal manner.

What`s "Wendler 5/3/1"? Heh heh, it sounds high-volume to me! But then I say that about anything that`s not just a few sets every few weeks
    It’s not much volume at all. Here is a basic breakdown of it.

https://www.muscleandstrength.com/wo...ng-system.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

5/3/1 is pretty low volume. Was pretty much the go to program for strength athletes and powerlifters 10-12 years ago. A friend of mine, who was a trainer at gold’s and competed in powerlifting was really big on it. A lot of guys still use it. Very effective program if you’re really focused on raising your numbers on the big 3.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

It’s low yes but if you do the assistance work it’s not to bad. It makes sense really because who wants to spend tons of time in the gym. With kids and families and work and life, gym time is limited to 45-90 min on a given day and I shoot for 60.

I do the boring but big assistance work so 5 sets of 10 of the main lift being done that day and then an accessory that helps in that area. So today was squats 3x5 @ 65/75/85% and then 5x10 at 50%. Then threw in some step ups 5x10 per leg. Took me 30 min

Post Thanks / Like

bob m- I use RxOmega-3 by Natural Factors. If I shop carefully and wait for sales I can get 240 capsules for under $30 and I buy plenty. The last time I got the best price at VitaCost when they ran one of their 15% off sales, combined that with the right quantity for shipping and signed up for their (revocable) auto-ship. The time before that I got it even cheaper from Zen Vitamins, but they`ve since raised their prices. The EPA: DHA ratio isn`t optimal but it`s not bad (it`s the same as Sears` capsules) and the savings adds up when you take as many as I do (~12/day to get 7.2g EPA+DHA).

When on sale, IMO the best option is Vitamin Shoppe`s store-brand . They sell a bunch of different ones, the "good" one has 600EPA + 240DHA per capsule which is closer to the desired 2:1 ratio. Note that I got that "desired ratio" from Sears even though his don`t meet it! The more DHA the better if only because it`s the one that can penetrate the blood/brain barrier and I`m all about keeping my brain healthy.

Looking at my wife`s OmegaRx capsules from Sears, I`m getting different numbers than you quoted..wonder what`s up with that? Her bottle says that 4 capsules = 1600EPA + 800DHA = 2400, not 3000. So you`d need more than 8 to get the 5g/day (and that dosage did nothing discernible for me). His stuff is pricey! I only buy his cereal (and I go through tons of it), but my wife uses his liquid (puts it in her Meal Replacement/Protein shakes).

Remember that it`s only the EPA and DHA that count.

I find it, uhm...interesting...that Sears says you gotta take at least that 5g/day yet has "serving size = 4 capsules" on the bottle.

I doubt you could get "real" Pharmaceutical Fish Oil at a reasonable cost unless there were some way to convince your Insurance Co. that it was required for some Medical Condition, and I bet that`d be impossible.
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Minerigger- That`d *NEVER* work for me, but if it does for *you* that`s what counts!

I don`t see how anybody could do squats and deads on two days in the same week. One good set of either will trash me for days.

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645
    ..5/3/1 is pretty low volume.
    And here I was thinking it had way *too much* volume in the sense of multiple sets of the same exercise! Those workouts are a gazillion times more sets than I do in a workout, but they`re a lot of the exact same thing (but sometimes with different weights) and seem to leave a lot of musclegroups untrained.

I *absolutely do* see how it`d work for some strength athletes (if they could somehow handle the recovery), but not for somebody who just wants to stay in optimal condition day-in-day-out forever.

Post Thanks / Like

When doing Leg work every week or two, are you guys still able to do (HIIT/SIT) cardio?

I can`t do the AirDyne within a full week (often more like 10 days) of an Upper Leg workout and have to isolate it from my Tri workout too, and I can`t do the Stair within 5 days of a Lower Leg one. That`s becoming perhaps my greatest challenge, not letting the RT interfere with the Cardio....hard to sprint when you can barely walk!

Post Thanks / Like

bob m-Next time I see some big sale on (decent) Fish Oil, I`ll try to remember to post about it. It can indeed get pricey if you don`t shop just right!

Post Thanks / Like

Or you can get this https://www.amazon.com/Viva-Naturals...014LDT0ZM?th=1 for the never on sale price of $1.86 more.

Based on comparable purchase quantities vs Vitamin Shoppes only on sale price.

Viva Naturals has a bit more EPA 700 Vs Vitamin Shoppes 600 per capsule.

But the same amount of DHA-240.

Post Thanks / Like

Minerigger- That`d *NEVER* work for me, but if it does for *you* that`s what counts!

I don`t see how anybody could do squats and deads on two days in the same week. One good set of either will trash me for days.

And here I was thinking it had way *too much* volume in the sense of multiple sets of the same exercise! Those workouts are a gazillion times more sets than I do in a workout, but they`re a lot of the exact same thing (but sometimes with different weights) and seem to leave a lot of musclegroups untrained.

I *absolutely do* see how it`d work for some strength athletes (if they could somehow handle the recovery), but not for somebody who just wants to stay in optimal condition day-in-day-out forever.
    The key with 5/3/1 is you’re not going to failure very often at all. And probably never on the accessory lifts.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    The key with 5/3/1 is you’re not going to failure very often at all. And probably never on the accessory lifts.
    Correct. Leaves you able to be human

Post Thanks / Like

I just *LOVE* these discussions!

What`s the idea behind doing so much sub-failure RT? I`m sitting here thinking how I`ve basically gone to failure on every (work) set for >40 years, hitting all my musclegroups that way all the time (exception: surgical recovery), and it`s worked out great for me.

I can see it as a form of Active Recovery or if there`s some specifically dictated reason, but I don`t see how one could attain maximal development let alone in the minimum required time with the minimum amount of work. If I`m not stimulating growth/strength gains, I`m resting, with pretty much nothing in-between except the chores.

(Note that I *agree* that it`s not absolutely necessary to go to failure, just look at how fit and muscular many gymnasts are despite never going to failure and often just doing bodyweight work. But I believe that doing it anyway removes a potential variable that could result in sub-optimal results and that sub-maximal work is time/energy wasted on wear-and-tear without a payoff.)

Quote Originally Posted by minerigger
    Leaves you able to be human
    Heh heh, OK...you *gotta* explain that one!

As long as I don`t overdo it, I simply thrive on to-failure workouts. The "overdoing it" is just a matter of outdoing my recovery ability resulting in less progress/decreased performance (it never causes any actual problems).

My smaller muscle groups benefit greatly from that kind of training and IMO that prevents the "weak link" effects that could imperil my progress/well-being. Plus, working those makes me look more muscular, and yeah...I like that.

E.g., I`m the only person I know who works the Tibialis Anterior (muscle on the front of the lower leg), and/but doing so has eliminated shin issues that plagued me *until* I started working those (always to failure, just one/two sets every few weeks). Also renders me less susceptible to injury when I bang my shins on something as long as its the muscle that takes the hit.

Did I mention that I love these discussions?!?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marine Clerk View Post
    Or you can get this https://www.amazon.com/Viva-Naturals...014LDT0ZM?th=1 for the never on sale price of $1.86 more.

Based on comparable purchase quantities vs Vitamin Shoppes only on sale price.

Viva Naturals has a bit more EPA 700 Vs Vitamin Shoppes 600 per capsule.

But the same amount of DHA-240.
    What am I missing...those look way more expensive. Is it about being able to take fewert capsules?

I`ll say I`d never by the Vitamin Shoppe ones unless they were on sale or I was desperate, they`re way too pricey normally. When they`re on sale and we have the Frequent Flyer Discount (they send my wife a card every so often when she hits the threshold) they`re around $30/240, which is kinda my max target price.

Also, I`d vastly prefer a more DHA-heavy ratio as it`s easy to get sufficient EPA but kinda hard to get enough DHA.

Not flaming, just curious!

Post Thanks / Like

I buy the now ultra omega 3D. 180 caps, 600/300. Available on amazon for like $26 shipped everyday, save 15% if you can stack some subscribe and save items. Might not be the best deal but it’s a fair deal for a good product, and I don’t have to work hard at all to find it.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec
    Likes Marine Clerk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I work 70-80 hrs a week in the oil field so if I go balls out in the gym it makes work suck super bad. Everything I play with requires over head cranes if in the shop or some other form of lifting device. Don’t get me wrong I am the crane a lot but I use help where possible. Trust me I get plenty of other muscles involved when I’m at work. Swing a 12lb sledgehammer in the cellar of a drilling rig while standing in cement, water, invert whatever. Use a pullbar on a 5k Double Bop stack. I’ve done the to failure and it just took to much energy away. I don’t get lots of rest and recovery. 4-5 is normal and 6+ of sleep is great. Add high stress and the body doesn’t recover well. That’s why I do that

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread Information