Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2019 Health & Fitness Thread

Eh, it`s an easy, known-quantity solution.

Now that we`ve engaged you on this thread, I might start bugging you about exercise

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, going to do my 4 mile walk tomorrow, then every other day as per usual.
    Treat it like it`s the only one in the world.

Post Thanks / Like

Ah, glad to hear it, walking is the single best thing people can do IMO. Now about those TypeII Muscle Fibers.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    I attended a spin class last night at our local Lifetime. My wife has been going for a while now and talked me into it. OMG! That kicked my butt! The instructor ties in all kinds of upper body stuff too that I wasn`t quite coordinated enough to do yet but it was still fun and a killer workout. Needless to say I slept VERY well last night, lol! I`m going to try and go a few more times to see if I can get a hang of it.
    Time to buy a Peloton and save a ton of money.

Let me know if you need a referral code for $100 off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by someidiot View Post
    Time to buy a Peloton and save a ton of money.

Let me know if you need a referral code for $100 off.
    At $2200 plus $40 a month, there’s reasons to buy a peloton but saving money can’t possibly be one of them.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    A..there’s reasons to buy a peloton but saving money can’t possibly be one of them.
    That might seem pricey, but it`s not much worse than you`d pay for my beloved StairM 4000PT, which I consider priceless. I dunno what it costs to go to a gym and pay for Spin Classes/etc. though..but then in my case I just *wouldn`t go an do that* no matter what the cost. So I guess I`m all in favor of spending whatever it takes to simply make it happen, whatever that means for *you*.

If you want cost-effective Cardio Fitness, IMO there`s nothing better than buying a used Schwinn AirDyne, but that`s a [freakin`] torture device that I doubt many will stick with in an effective manner. Heh heh, I figure that`s why they`re always available so cheap on the secondary market...nobody can stand to keep doing it.

Find something you like enough to stick with it and I bet you`ll forget about the cost in no time. But then that`s easy for *me* to say and if the $ is prohibitive then that`s that.

Post Thanks / Like

Annual Physical yesterday went about the same as always. I was up two lbs. despite being so much leaner that my Doc asked about my cardio (and seemed astounded that I only spend a few minutes a week on it) but OK 2 lbs. is like a rounding error (I do wear the same shoes/etc. to keep it consistent).

FWIW, since others posted Chol/TG numbers: Tot Chol 151; TG 42; HDL 64; LDL 79. I`d expected the HDL to drop since I`ve discontinued Niacin, but that didn`t happen (yet?). All pretty consistent year-to-year.

But I still think I`m about 3 months behind on my "Fit at 60" Plan, got a little under 11 months to go..I just keep finding ways to tweak/improve things even after all this time!

Post Thanks / Like

jrock645- How did your weird Quad Soreness work out? I`ve been wondering how long it lasted and whether you`re working them again yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrock645 View Post
    At $2200 plus $40 a month, there’s reasons to buy a peloton but saving money can’t possibly be one of them.
    Most of those spin places are something like $25-30/ride.

I`ve had mine for 3 months and my wife and I have each done around 50 rides. The bike is already about to pay itself off vs going to SoulCycle or somewhere similar.

Lifetime starts at $120/mo. You can buy the Peloton for that and both he and his wife could ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Most of those spin places are something like $25-30/ride.Lifetime starts at $120/mo. You can buy the Peloton for that and both he and his wife could ride.
    Huh, interesting, I had no idea the classes were so expensive. Won`t begrudge `em a profit though, and I gather some people do best in an off-site group setting just as some of us do best training at home solo.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    jrock645- How did your weird Quad Soreness work out? I`ve been wondering how long it lasted and whether you`re working them again yet.
    It went away. Back has been a bit iffy here lately so I’ve been doing hack squats instead. Haven’t had that issue since.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Most of those spin places are something like $25-30/ride.

I`ve had mine for 3 months and my wife and I have each done around 50 rides. The bike is already about to pay itself off vs going to SoulCycle or somewhere similar.

Lifetime starts at $120/mo. You can buy the Peloton for that and both he and his wife could ride.
    LA fitness costs me $30 a month and classes are included.
    2018 Acura TLX ASpec

Post Thanks / Like

Been kinda coasting and enjoying life and not doing much gym stuff. I try to work like a slave when at work so it’s helping. But decided I need to do some added stuff so going to do Wendler 5/3/1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

She actually doesn`t believe in fish oil. Basically said she doesn`t know what to do about the HDL.
    Thanks for starting this very interesting and important thread. Regarding therapeutic doses, I checked out Barry Sears/Zone Diet fish oil and 4 pills give you 3000 mg and the therapeutic dose 5000 mg is about 7 pills a day. That get kinda expensive. Is that what you take? I wonder if I can get them as a prescription from my MD?

Post Thanks / Like

bob m- I use RxOmega-3 by Natural Factors. If I shop carefully and wait for sales I can get 240 capsules for under $30 and I buy plenty. The last time I got the best price at VitaCost when they ran one of their 15% off sales, combined that with the right quantity for shipping and signed up for their (revocable) auto-ship. The time before that I got it even cheaper from Zen Vitamins, but they`ve since raised their prices. The EPA: DHA ratio isn`t optimal but it`s not bad (it`s the same as Sears` capsules) and the savings adds up when you take as many as I do (~12/day to get 7.2g EPA+DHA).

When on sale, IMO the best option is Vitamin Shoppe`s store-brand . They sell a bunch of different ones, the "good" one has 600EPA + 240DHA per capsule which is closer to the desired 2:1 ratio. Note that I got that "desired ratio" from Sears even though his don`t meet it! The more DHA the better if only because it`s the one that can penetrate the blood/brain barrier and I`m all about keeping my brain healthy.

Looking at my wife`s OmegaRx capsules from Sears, I`m getting different numbers than you quoted..wonder what`s up with that? Her bottle says that 4 capsules = 1600EPA + 800DHA = 2400, not 3000. So you`d need more than 8 to get the 5g/day (and that dosage did nothing discernible for me). His stuff is pricey! I only buy his cereal (and I go through tons of it), but my wife uses his liquid (puts it in her Meal Replacement/Protein shakes).

Remember that it`s only the EPA and DHA that count.

I find it, uhm...interesting...that Sears says you gotta take at least that 5g/day yet has "serving size = 4 capsules" on the bottle.

I doubt you could get "real" Pharmaceutical Fish Oil at a reasonable cost unless there were some way to convince your Insurance Co. that it was required for some Medical Condition, and I bet that`d be impossible.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread Information