Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bummer...

Post Thanks / Like

Bummer...

My apologies to the country, will not be able to recalibrate the Scales of Justice this week.

Called to confirm Federal District Ct. jury duty tonite and the recorded (and not altogether pleasant) voice told me to take the week off. They must have something big next week they wanna save me and my wisdom for.

Shame, had my wardrobe all picked out:Screenshot_20181125-183922_Chrome.jpeg

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bummer...

BP-1 !
    Love that shirt !!!!
    Dan F
    Likes BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I assume you are wearing that (inappropriate) shirt for jury duty. Someone once asked if there was a "legal" way to get out of jury duty.There is: never register to vote. Many American citizens think that when you vote is when you automatically get put on the jury duty list. That is NOT TRUE. It is when you REGISTER to VOTE that you get put on the jury duty list, whether you ever vote in an election or not.

So much is made about voter ID laws and how these laws keep legal American citizens from exercising their right to voting, which, they do; I do not dispute that whatsoever. But on the other hand, if it keeps individuals who cannot vote legally from registering, then voter ID laws have done its job as intended and that is something we never know about because it deters such individuals from doing so.
    But I think that many more American citizens do not vote , or even knowing about registering to vote places them on a jury duty list, because they do not wish to serve on a jury. That to me is a MUCH bigger issue about voter apathy and ignorance than voter ID laws.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I assume you are wearing that (inappropriate) shirt for jury duty. Someone once asked if there was a "legal" way to get out of jury duty.There is: never register to vote. Many American citizens think that when you vote is when you automatically get put on the jury duty list. That is NOT TRUE. It is when you REGISTER to VOTE that you get put on the jury duty list, whether you ever vote in an election or not.

So much is made about voter ID laws and how these laws keep legal American citizens from exercising their right to voting, which, they do; I do not dispute that whatsoever. But on the other hand, if it keeps individuals who cannot vote legally from registering, then voter ID laws have done its job as intended and that is something we never know about because it deters such individuals from doing so.
    But I think that many more American citizens do not vote , or even knowing about registering to vote places them on a jury duty list, because they do not wish to serve on a jury. That to me is a MUCH bigger issue about voter apathy and ignorance than voter ID laws.
    Not *really* wearing the shirt, a Contempt of Court citation might be in the offing if I were to actually show up in that. They did actually specify a dress code for this term (no jeans, no shorts, no offensive clothing, etc)...will be interesting to see (if called) who missed that line in the summons...

To be honest, I`ve been looking forward to jury duty ever since I registered to vote. Got picked last year for county, but they never had me report...much sadness. I do hope I get called sometime during the next few weeks, I think it will be quite fascinating. While I guess it can be an inconvenience to some, I really want to see the process and be involved in it. Back when we bought our first house in 1991, soon after we moved in the previous owner (deceased) received a jury notice. When I called to let the Clerk to let them know he was deceased, I asked if I could serve in his place...but apparently it doesn`t work like that

Only sticking point for this particular instance may possibly be that my wife`s cousin, who we see and socialize with with some regularity, is a Federal Prosecutor here...hoping that doesn`t universally disqualify me for this term. Even though it`s a busy time with working through selling parents house and end-of-year stuff going on at work, still wanna get the call; I think it will be quite interesting.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you BudgetPlan1! I am not saying it is your civic-citizen duty to do so because I believe it is anyone`s right to refuse to judge someone else if their conscience so dictates, but you STILL need to show up for jury duty if so elected and called in. Many do not show up because they feel it an economic hardship or personal "inconvenience" , which, in truth, it is! But that does NOT exclude you from showing up for jury duty and the jury selection process.
    I think if you do not show up, it is considered contempt of court (which by some is aptly named!). If someone does not wish to serve on jury, giving those two reasons will not excuse you. A better reason is to just state your conscientious objections as to WHY you do not wish to judge someone else.
    Just do not say anything hateful or disrespectful.
    Engineers seem to get the best "breaks" for not being selected, but I think I know why: they are just too analytical for separating testimonial fact from fiction and when admonished to judge "beyond a shadow of a doubt" they do not see a probable (and possible) "grey area": it is black and white to them.
    GB detailer
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here in GA all you have to have is a drivers license or state issued ID to be called for jury duty, no voter registration necessary.

Post Thanks / Like

My company pays ZERO for my being off work to serve. That part, is not cool.

I was just summoned myself about 2 weeks ago. I don`t mind it one bit. And I`d gladly serve as a juror, but admittedly would hope for a shorter trial since I won`t get paid for the time off.

I did have a chance to serve as juror in a mock trial. Can`t get into details, but it was a pretty cool experience. Deliberations went as seen on TV, but not as heated. I think part of it was that the others treated it as a "mock" trial and didn`t take it as seriously as I did. Oh well.

Good for you, Budget, to want to take the place of the deceased person!
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been summoned for Jury Duty many times, served on actual trials a few times, been rejected during voir dire, and sat in the Juror Waiting Room for days waiting for my Panel number to be called, and then ran out of the days before being called..

It is a very interesting process to see how all this works in "real time" and not how it works on television shows, etc...

In CA., you do get paid $15.00/day and .34/mile one way, starting the 2nd day of service, which I believe is the 2nd day you are actually serving at the Courthouse
    Employers in CA., are not required to pay employees while on Jury Duty, but if they do pay employees while on Jury Duty, they can ask them for the Jury Duty money the Juror has received...

It used to be decades ago, you went down to the Courthouse and spent days waiting in there; now I believe you just call in to the Jury Commissioner office and tell them your panel number and they tell you if you have to report..

I recently received my first Jury Summons out here in Farmland, CA., but the case was settled before the trial so I got excused until next time around..
    Everyone should go do this - at least once - to see how it works... It is a lot of waiting around - even if you are on a Panel waiting to get into the Court room and start the whole process there..
    Dan F
    Likes BudgetPlan1, JustJesus liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    I think I recall someone saying we get paid, will have to check. At least the court gives ya a little something for the effort, $50 day, $0.54/mile if you get called in.

Good for you, Budget, to want to take the place of the deceased person!
    Yeah, too bad it didn`t work out...I tried.

A friend of ours works for the county judge, whenever I see her I ask if she can bump me up the list to be called for jury duty...apparently thats`s a no-go as well.

Post Thanks / Like

You can always say that you agree with the person ahead of you, it shows that you aren`t able to think for yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JustJesus View Post
    This is the part about the justice system and jury participation which bothers me the most. I`ve been fortunate to always work for an employer who provided paid jury leave, but know this is not the standard. It puts otherwise civic minded poeple in some economic situations at a huge disadvantage.

The one time my lot number was selected and I had to report to the state circuit court there were a large number of people grumbling about having to miss work. Many of them I`m sure really needed the money they were going to lose. Our courts at the time paid $25 day plus they validated your parking if you parked in their garage. However, if you weren`t selected and you left before noon, or your case didn`t go to trial on the first day you didn`t get paid at all. In my situation, I was selected for the jury and went all day only for the jury to be dismissed just before the opening arguments. The judge was pissed and ordered the courts to pay us anyway since we`d been at the courthouse for 10+ hours that day.

Post Thanks / Like

I`d imagine some folks just simply can`t afford to attend due to jobs not paying for the time off.

Unfortunately, I`m guessing many without a true financial hardship use that excuse often. Wonder how (or if) a court determines validity if such claims?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BudgetPlan1 View Post
    I think I recall someone saying we get paid, will have to check. At least the court gives ya a little something for the effort, $50 day, $0.54/mile if you get called in.
    50$ a day is a nice jump from 15$ a day!!

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    This is the part about the justice system and jury participation which bothers me the most. I`ve been fortunate to always work for an employer who provided paid jury leave, but know this is not the standard.
    I used to work for such places. The current employer is S. Korean based and don`t really know the rules/laws/etc of California.

I`d imagine some folks just simply can`t afford to attend due to jobs not paying for the time off.

Unfortunately, I`m guessing many without a true financial hardship use that excuse often. Wonder how (or if) a court determines validity if such claims?
    JustWife works for the school district and gets forced time off. I think they call them "unassigned days." With her having a week off in November, and three more in December, our household really couldn`t afford for me to go unpaid for anything other than a week or so.

I wouldn`t expect to have my salary met and paid by the System, but at the same time, 15$ a day is ridiculous. At least match the Minimum Wage requirements!
    Likes Stokdgs, BudgetPlan1 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Success...

Instructions to report tomorrow morning. Well, that only took 37 years.

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats!!!!

Hope u like the experience
    Success...

Instructions to report tomorrow morning. Well, that only took 37 years.
    Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
    Thanks BudgetPlan1 thanked for this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information