Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weather is turning

Hopefully Dave you won’t have to wait till spring. On a happy note, the weather lady said Rain, Snow ,and Sleet for Thursday. I have to get my top off my gazebo or it will collapse. Happy winter

Post Thanks / Like

i detailed two rides today. still 87 and humid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    i detailed two rides today. still 87 and humid.
    this is silly! We had 3 nice cool days in October, but November has been brutal. When we don`t get a break from the heat, it makes time go buy so much faster to me. It`s like summer, then... wait for it... wait... THERE! - a few days of fall. Then summer again.

I guess the nights are better, so power bill drops into the mid 100`s rather than high 200`s.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WaxAddict View Post
    this is silly! We had 3 nice cool days in October, but November has been brutal. When we don`t get a break from the heat, it makes time go buy so much faster to me. It`s like summer, then... wait for it... wait... THERE! - a few days of fall. Then summer again.

I guess the nights are better, so power bill drops into the mid 100`s rather than high 200`s.
    We are already in the winter-mode here in Green Bay Wisconsin; 13°F this morning (Tues, 13 Nov) with a high expected of 25°F, and yes, there is SNOW on the ground from Saturday night of about 3/4". (Makes Al Gore and his Global Warming pundits look like idiots and meteorologist who say this winter will be mild because of El Nino look like liars!)So while your detailing ,WaxAddict, is just starting, mine is just ending!
    Funny thing is, I was out shoveling snow early Sunday morning at a neighbor`s house because we live near Lambeau Field and the Packers were to play the Miami Dolphins in the afternoon and needed to remove the snow because of all the foot traffic that would ensue from fans who park in this area and walk to the game. A local TV station happened by and asked to interview me LIVE during their morning show about shoveling snow and getting ready for the game that day. Needless to say, shoveling snow in early November in NOT a common occurrence, especially on Packer Game Day at home. So I had my 2-minutes of fame on TV. A friend called later in the day to say, "At least you did not talk like a doofus and embarrass yourself!"

It`s not getting any warmer here anytime soon. Like I said, pretty much put the stop on outdoor detailing. Last week I did wash my Ford Freestyle when it was slightly above freezing to get the crushed fall leaves litter/debris slurry that had clung to the sides and in the wheel wells after a series of rainfalls, high winds, and said leaves made a REAL MESS in the streets. That leaf slurry is pain in the royal petoot to get off and it gets into your wash media (I chose to use an older cotton chenille pad I had because the very small crushed leaf debris clings to the media and it does not rinse out easily. It MIGHT be removed with a vacuum when it dries!). Ended up doing the neighbor`s Ford Escape the next day for the same reason. You can TRY to hose it off as much as you can, but there are areas that only a physical wipe will get into to remove that leaf debris.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t know what they`re predicting for you PA Detailer on Thursday, but this is what we got so far...

Luckily it shouldn`t be bad on the commute home in the morning and they got most of the day to treat the roads before I leave...
    2022 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 6MT - 2023 Toyota Camry SE

Post Thanks / Like

I got mine done back in August right after I got my truck and I know it won`t last but it takes to much to get the garage up to a temp this time of the year that allows wax or sealants to cure. Especially when the car is ice cold. Mine won`t see wax now until April at the earliest.

I am not ready for the cold. this morning on the way to work and the ambient temp display showed a nice cool -6F pulling into the parking lot at work. Supposed to warm up into the 30`s Thursday and along with that rain. Can imagine Friday mornings commute might be a little tricky if it drop below freezing.
    Dean.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nizmo View Post
    Don`t know what they`re predicting for you PA Detailer on Thursday, but this is what we got so far...

*snip*

Luckily it shouldn`t be bad on the commute home in the morning and they got most of the day to treat the roads before I leave...
    Ah here we go, now it`s up to 8 to 12 inches. Guess I`ll be taking the Liberty to work instead. Like I said atleast it`ll happen during the day so hopefully the roads won`t be too bad.

Post Thanks / Like

We got ice. New type of tire coating ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Nizmo, Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Going to have to revisit recent Griots Surface Prep threads.

It`s like a annual thing for me. Once this time of year kicks in, I`m always looking at the current FOTM (flavor of the month) on @home touchless washes.....

Post Thanks / Like

Don`t know how much you got PA Detailer, but we got about 7" of mixed precipitation. It was slushy and wet as all get out.

And I got stuck in my own driveway, so I guess it`s Jeep to the rescue to get to work tonight. It`s still doing an sleet/snow/rain mix.

Post Thanks / Like

Winter stinks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
    Likes Nizmo liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    e. Once this time of year kicks in, I`m always looking at the current FOTM (flavor of the month) on @home touchless washes.....
    I gotta try my Lonn Cleaning Gun for that, with a pressure washer pre-rinse. You need a compressor for it though...

Last year I did quite well with *only* the pressure washer, but I expect some shampoo or RW will work even better with enough pressure behind it.

Post Thanks / Like

Ha. We had this discussion in other touchless threads. Even with soaks/pw, the salt`s crust ain`t getting diluted. It needs a mechanical wash afterwards.

Maybe Santa will bring me a diesel fueled HOT WATER Pressure Washer next month

Post Thanks / Like

mobiledynamics- Noting that "road salt" isn`t as simple a topic as it used to be, I guess this is another of those YMMV! things. It simply washes off for me...when I`m not doing the undercarriage/etc. it`s plenty good enough for "the areas that show", only an Autopian would notice that it wasn`t subjected to a For-Real Wash. I find I do better by far than any of the Touchless Carwashes I`ve been through.

-Clean wheels/tires/wells
    -Pressure wash with (warm) softened water
    -Spot-clean nasty areas with siphon-feed spray gun and/or Tornador Black using DI water or IUDJ
    -Pressure rinse with DI water
    -Blow off with AirWand and compressor, doing touch-up spot-cleanings with the Tornador as needed
    -Dress tires, clean glass
    -RW wheels, dress tires

Except for my wife, NOBODY I know IRL can tell the diff between that and a proper wash taking hours. No, I can`t get away with this more than a few times before I do have to do a Real Wash, and the LSP has to be nice and healthy, but it`s good enough to keep `em from looking awful.

Wonder if they`re using different Road Salt stuff up in your area, nearer to the Lake.

But yeah...a diesel HWPW would be something! The propane one I had in the `70s was a beast; degreasing engines often ended up de-painting them too.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    mobiledynamics- Noting that "road salt" isn`t as simple a topic as it used to be, I guess this is another of those YMMV! things. It simply washes off for me...when I`m not doing the undercarriage/etc. it`s plenty good enough for "the areas that show", only an Autopian would notice that it wasn`t subjected to a For-Real Wash. I find I do better by far than any of the Touchless Carwashes I`ve been through.

-Clean wheels/tires/wells
    -Pressure wash with (warm) softened water
    -Spot-clean nasty areas with siphon-feed spray gun and/or Tornador Black using DI water or IUDJ
    -Pressure rinse with DI water
    -Blow off with AirWand and compressor, doing touch-up spot-cleanings with the Tornador as needed
    -Dress tires, clean glass
    -RW wheels, dress tires

Except for my wife, NOBODY I know IRL can tell the diff between that and a proper wash taking hours. No, I can`t get away with this more than a few times before I do have to do a Real Wash, and the LSP has to be nice and healthy, but it`s good enough to keep `em from looking awful.

Wonder if they`re using different Road Salt stuff up in your area, nearer to the Lake.

But yeah...a diesel HWPW would be something! The propane one I had in the `70s was a beast; degreasing engines often ended up de-painting them too.
    Didn’t Ketchum write a piece on the composition of modern “road salt” ? I think it was on the old L2D forum. I could very well be wrong on that.

I remember that the effect on cars was terrifying.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information