Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weather is turning

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    Didn’t Ketchum write a piece on the composition of modern “road salt” ? ..I remember that the effect on cars was terrifying.
    Yeah, I think he did. Note that his then-employer ValuGard sells a product made to get the stuff off; if I had a problem with it being really tenacious that`s probably what I`d use.

And (not really directing this at Older) yeah, others sell such stuff too. But I`d go with what`s been tested/approved by the major automakers.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Yeah, I think he did. Note that his then-employer ValuGard sells a product made to get the stuff off; if I had a problem with it being really tenacious that`s probably what I`d use.

And (not really directing this at Older) yeah, others sell such stuff too. But I`d go with what`s been tested/approved by the major automakers.
    I would think that anything that takes off road salt is strong stuff.

I do use the “touch-less” washes with the undercarriage sprayers weekly during the “salty” months. And once monthly or so,I’ll go to a hand wash. More if I absolutely have to.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Older View Post
    I would think that anything that takes off road salt is strong stuff..
    You`d certainly think so, what with what`s written about it. And I gather that some Deicing Products *are* indeed very tenacious. But what they use in my area (presumably just Salt, sometimes applied as brine), washes off my stuff easily enough with just the same strong shampoo mix that I run through the foamguns/use on wheels/etc. Yes, it simply washes right off. Whatever got on there last time Accumulatorette traveled far in the winter was a bit tougher to get off, but I never even considered using anything stronger.

So I`d see what it really takes to clean it off (or, to be less optimistic, what doesn`t work) before assuming that special measures are in order.

Running it through the touchless with the undercarriage spray is a lot better than just letting it go...it simply amazes me to see what I consider pretty new vehicles visibly rusting out already, especially in the obvious places.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information