Post Thanks / Like

Windshield Replaced

Just one of the ugggh moments. Had mobile windshield come out to replace a windshield.

Just as the guy was pulling up, I finished washing the car and was in the process of blow drying it - I wanted the car clean so he knew to be super careful. Black paint.....hours later, I spied some dried up urethane here and there. I did not catch it earlier. It can be removed by some rubbing - I suppose. Solvent ain`t going to touch it as they use rapid set glue.

Eh, it is what it is.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Windshield Replaced

mobiledynamics- Hope it cleans up OK. That`s the kind of thing that has me leery of having it done on mine. The one on the A8 went OK last time, but that was at the dealership where guys I know/trust were overseeing the work.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry they could not do a perfect job for you..
    I have seen Safelite do a replacement windshield for a friend, and he did a perfect, clean, no extra stuff, perfectly clean glass both sides, job..

It USED to be that if you showed up in a really clean, car as you did, the people working on it would respect that and be extra careful, but unfortunately, today, that is less and less the case..

And it`s everywhere... A lots of folks just don`t care about other people`s property, and are not even knowing that they should be more careful..

Another example of this now the normal behavior -- I spent a few hours trimming a big tree for an elderly 86-year-old widow.. I took out a lot of branches carefully, that were growing the wrong way, were out of control, were over the fence into the yard next door..
    When I finished, it looked beautiful ! Now, it had a well shaped canopy as high as I could reach with an 18 foot pole saw on a big ladder, etc., and nothing was hanging over the property line, etc.. Went over next door and cleaned up everything, so it was also perfect..

The next day, the idiot hack that lives next door there, came out and absolutely Butchered the side of that tree with a dang chain saw, and even went over the fence and took a major big limb out that he should have never touched... The tree is now out of Balance, we hope it will not have an issue in big wind now..

He pretty much ruined that tree for a lot of years that it will take to recover from his hack job that he obviously has no training in doing in the first place..

Oh, and his front yard - another big disaster, easily the worst front yard on the block..

Guess he could not stand or relate to a beautiful tree next to him, so he had to take his side of it down to the crappy level he thinks that is the norm...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Accumulator -

FWIW, like alot of things in life, company *reputation* etc, it boils down to the installer.
    As so many may abhorr Safelite.
    As well,for your own wiki, but alot of Dealerships and Bodyshops (even my preferred one) subs the glass work to glass guys.
    I pretty much use my Bodyshop or Safelite. Why safelite vs. a Indy Glass
    Preferably for warranty , if I deem the glass was wavy, distorted, etc.
    Much more leverage with a chain than a Indy

Are you a stickler for OE glass. Yeah. I know it`s just a logo......I am, even if I had to pay a upcharge.
    I don`t know what Audi calls for on their technical specs for windshield replacement.
    SOME of the other german brands I believe in older TSB call for slow set glue.
    Unless you are paying a glass guy to install for a custom spec project, they will use 30 minute or 1 hr rapidset glue.
    I can go on and on, as there are so many things I`m a stickler for, but at the end of the day, any replacement glass - procedure is not going to be per Manuf. standards, but to a ~glass installer standards~, that of which is also compromised of rapid set glue.

Edit -
    All cleaned up. Even I want I though was primer etching. 3M Adhesive
    Solvent and some mild rubbing.
    Going to need a buffing regardless but it is it is

With the use of 3M Adhesive Remover, going to go back to detailing school and look into other solvent chems to have handy on the dash, aka Prepsol, what is stronger than prepsol, etc, etc. - aka, the stuff we dont buy at PBMG but at a auto body supply house

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, one more for the wiki. Make sure your glass guy uses the Spyder string method to remove the glass. Not the popular sealant blade.....

Post Thanks / Like

Stokdgs -

Man, it pains me to hear about the tree ! It`s all about the framework !You can always cut more but you can`t exactly put it back !

Thread Information