Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

10 Year Polishing Sabbatical

LOL. Babies are more like toddlers now. Gone are the days where I`m plopping the into the carseat.
    Handprints, Fingers, All sorts of running around opening car doors themselves, the works .

For those with kiddo`s. Ha. Do you guys rope off the cars or are you taking the 10 year sabbatical like I`m about to ;-)
    Likes Stokdgs, SWETM liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 10 Year Polishing Sabbatical

I`m not any where close to even being married, but when my time comes to have kids, it will be called "The Base model", or "Honda Element" or "Jeep Wrangler".
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    LOL. Babies are more like toddlers now. Gone are the days where I`m plopping the into the carseat.
    Handprints, Fingers, All sorts of running around opening car doors themselves, the works .

For those with kiddo`s. Ha. Do you guys rope off the cars or are you taking the 10 year sabbatical like I`m about to ;-)
    Mobiledynamics ---
    You just have to lovingly, patiently, teach them that food is not allowed in the car, dirty, grimy, little hands are not allowed in the car, do not ever touch the windows, do not ever open the doors when the car is moving, you will get the hang of it..

And engage them to "help" you by picking up after themselves in the car, etc., and they will be happy to help Daddy and Mommy keep the car/s clean...
    Then, the sabbatical will not need to be as long..
    Dan F
    Likes Wing Commander, Oneheadlite, jatleson liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

No food and drink ever in the car. Period. ( well groceries and such plus the cup of coffee-but I won`t open it.) Never touch chrome or glass with their hands. Shoes off and put in the trunk. better yet put them in the trunk. Just kidding-a little

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. Signs of growing old. We were playing and my 4 year old ran into the street by a hair to hide between a car.....needless to say, I pulled him back.

And in that moment, I said to myself, kiddos think they are invincible and realized that same feeling of invincibility when I was younger, and boy, did that make me feel old !

Post Thanks / Like

[Original Post DELETED, except for...]

Oh sheesh, I`m being a [jerk] again, huh? Get off my lawn...

Regulars here can guess

Nice(r) version:

Teach kids, even *VERY* young kids, how to act and such stuff shouldn`t be a problem. I didn`t mess stuff up when I was a kid, my young in-laws don`t mess stuff up now.

If nothing else, knowing to never touch a surface unless you know how to do it is a Life Lesson that`ll serve anybody well.

It can kinda boil down to "Never make life worse for another person." Yes, that does require a bit of thinking; thinking about everything one does is very good, and an especially good habit for children to get into. None of that "why`d you do that?"/"duh, I dunno.." nonsense.

Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think so much it’s teaching about keeping the car clean, I think the lesson is respect for other people’s things. My dad taught me about taking care of the cars, but my parents also taught me to not run around somebody else’s house, don’t touch things that are not yours, and just common courtesy. I think there’s a lot of that lacking today.just my 2 cents?
    Likes Marine Clerk, Oneheadlite, jatleson liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Boy I`m counting myself lucky with my daughter. She`s 3, and has been a non-issue with the cars.

The mantra has always been "We keep stuff nice." Since she`s been little, we just remind her not to touch/watch out for the cars as far as paint or glass. In the cars, she`s been rear facing until just recently (nearing the weight cap). She`s had a mat for her feet, and with polite reminders (think the sternness you`d correct your Grandma with - "feet on the mat please") that`s where her feet stayed. One time I had to borrow my friends truck; she was actually concerned about if it was ok to put her feet on the seat since I hadn`t transferred the mat to the truck`s back seat. It had a cover on it, so that helped ease her concern.

Agreed with the sentiment about including them in cleaning - she loves helping with anything that requires a spray bottle (obviously chemical safety taken into concern!!!). I use waterless wash for the sliding glass doors and coffee tables; I can`t clean them without her or she`s "upset" she didn`t get to help. When she`s playing, she puts her stuff away before switching to playing something else. She gets lots of hugs, high fives, and thank you`s; that`s all it seems to take.

I think in the Random Thoughts thread, rlmccarty2000 reminded me that it`s easier as they`re smaller - I remember that and enjoy every day while things are as simple as they are now. (sorry, meant to reply to that notion in that thread but forgot to get back to it!)

Mobiledynamics - Your story of your little one running to the street reminds me of a time back when I was little where my Dad and I were playing frisbee in the front yard. His throw caught a breeze and ended up in the street, me being young and dumb I ran out after it. Thankfully the car coming stabbed the brakes with time to spare, but I`ll never forget my Dad getting choked up while correcting me for running out in the street. Didn`t think it was a big deal then, it all makes sense now... (Note to self: Take advantage of the fact I can call Dad on the way home today...)
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice!

Post Thanks / Like

Flame Suit On

Anyone who is a member here, to some degree at minimum is a enthusiast
    Yes, wifey and many around my circle know - don`t touch the paint, close the door by the handles, aka, he`s ~dat guy~.

With the little ones, I don`t preach any of said rules. It`s just a window. It`s just paint...
    Yes, I cringe when I hit the remote unlock and they race to see who get`s there first. Or when they touch the panels with their hands.
    All the forbidden rules to my immediate circle are unforbidden
    Not because I`m being lax about them, but maybe it`s unhealthy to be so OCD about said Autopia ways.
    We`ll at least for now. Maybe in another 5 years , it`s a different coaching method
    Likes JSFM35X, Oneheadlite, House of Wax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
    Flame Suit On

Anyone who is a member here, to some degree at minimum is a enthusiast
    Yes, wifey and many around my circle know - don`t touch the paint, close the door by the handles, aka, he`s ~dat guy~.

With the little ones, I don`t preach any of said rules. It`s just a window. It`s just paint...
    Yes, I cringe when I hit the remote unlock and they race to see who get`s there first. Or when they touch the panels with their hands.
    All the forbidden rules to my immediate circle are unforbidden
    Not because I`m being lax about them, but maybe it`s unhealthy to be so OCD about said Autopia ways.
    We`ll at least for now. Maybe in another 5 years , it`s a different coaching method

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike lambert View Post
    I don’t think so much it’s teaching about keeping the car clean, I think the lesson is respect for other people’s things. My dad taught me about taking care of the cars, but my parents also taught me to not run around somebody else’s house, don’t touch things that are not yours, and just common courtesy. I think there’s a lot of that lacking today.just my 2 cents?
    Here Here!! All about respect. My girls (10 + 12) aren`t really car people (they won`t admit they like going to car shows, but they do), but they have been taught to be respectful of people and property. Make sure they understand it takes hard work to have nice things and the importance of maintaining your property/possessions. I always get chuckle when one of the girls, or my wife, point out a expensive vehicle that is completely uncared for and trashed.

Another important life lesson is teaching to not brag and show-off. Nothing wrong with having or doing nice things, expensive cars, houses, vacations whatever, but do that because you enjoy it. Don`t do it to show off, brag, and flaunt. That is a tough one with kids. Make sure they appreciate what they have and understand that not everyone has those same luxuries.

Atleson Detailing Service
    FB - https://www.facebook.com/AtlesonDetailing/
    WEB - https://sites.google.com/prod/view/a...detailing/home
    Likes Oneheadlite liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I do believe that young people (AKA children) will imitate and reflect the values, ethics, demeanor, personality, and characteristics of their parents (or parent). If that includes respect for or how to behave and what to do in a vehicle, that is a parent who is teaching this to their child/children. I cannot blame our young-people`s problems on themselves as much as it is the parents because it is the parent`s responsibility to BE a parent. Unfortunately, our society has relegated this roll to teachers, day care providers, clergy/pastors, and government agencies or department officials (like social workers), or even hand-held electronic devices . None of these can substitute for parents and the influence they have on a child. Perhaps it is more a reflection of what we deem socially-acceptable as a definition of a "family" and we are reaping what we have sown as a society. Some may say I am moralist or even non-inclusive person and I have no right to be judgmental about who or what is a "family".

One of the most intelligent men this world has even know wrote, "Train up a child in the way he (she) should go, and when he (she) is old, he (she) will not part from it". He also wrote, "He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth his chasteneth him betimes". Both of these were written by King Solomon and are found in the Old Testament book of Proverbs in the Bible (Proverbs 22:6 and 13:24). Our American society has forgotten both of these exhortations to parents on teaching what is right and wrong and physically disciplining them when need be. It is ironic that we will not spank a young child LIGHTY when they have done wrong because "experts" tell us it hurts their self-esteem or there are no "absolute morals of right or wrong", but we will spend thousands upon thousands of dollars judging them our judicial system and incarcerating them in our penal system in their teens or young adults when they get "in trouble" with the law.

You are correct in saying that you may need to "give up" some of the things you enjoy doing, like detailing your personal vehicle, when having a child and raising them. I applaud and commend moms and dads (AKA parents) who do so for the benefit of the child, and yes, our society.
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I`ll spare you all my usual rant about Corporal Punishment in any form whatsoever, you`ve heard it all before and I`m not gonna change you. And I don`t care what book/author/belief system says it`s OK. But words cannot simply express how strongly I feel about this subject. I`m so[ticked] off that adults still talk about this as if it were OK that it`s the most I can do to stay online and look at today`s New Posts...

Post Thanks / Like

Mobiledynamics - No flames comin atcha from me - I fully respect everyone has their own level, and it`s your right to decide what`s ok for your kids to do vs not. While I try to keep my daughter from scuffing against the car or leaving fingerprints, she does get cereal/trail mix in the car as well as water in a no leak container. It`s not uncommon to need to vacuum out her seat/the kid seat mat from sand/cereal. But, in my eyes I feel it`s a realistic balance for her age.
    For the record, while I have the Autopian eye to see all the defects and the knowledge and arsenal to address them, neither of my car`s exteriors are at Autopian standard. I have full respect for folks that use their time to be able to make it happen, but at the moment the way my priorities line up the cars are behind where they could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    I do believe that young people (AKA children) will imitate and reflect the values, ethics, demeanor, personality, and characteristics of their parents (or parent). If that includes respect for or how to behave and what to do in a vehicle, that is a parent who is teaching this to their child/children. I cannot blame our young-people`s problems on themselves as much as it is the parents because it is the parent`s responsibility to BE a parent. Unfortunately, our society has relegated this roll to teachers, day care providers, clergy/pastors, and government agencies or department officials (like social workers), or even hand-held electronic devices . None of these can substitute for parents and the influence they have on a child. Perhaps it is more a reflection of what we deem socially-acceptable as a definition of a "family" and we are reaping what we have sown as a society. Some may say I am moralist or even non-inclusive person and I have no right to be judgmental about who or what is a "family".

You are correct in saying that you may need to "give up" some of the things you enjoy doing, like detailing your personal vehicle, when having a child and raising them. I applaud and commend moms and dads (AKA parents) who do so for the benefit of the child, and yes, our society.
    I agree that kids are a product of their environment. I wonder what a world we`d have if people really took ownership of the responsibility and put an effort into caring for the small human they`ve brought to the world (This is directed at the world, not the OP!!!). I`ve had studies shared with me that show brain development that takes place up to age 2 or 3 when a child is engaged and interacted with that doesn`t occur with a child that is neglected. Like you say - we try to teach her respect/consideration/etc by way of do-as-I-do. As an example, I make an effort to use calm language/pleases/thank yous with the dogs so she sees that politeness is important everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Guess I`ll spare you all my usual rant about Corporal Punishment in any form whatsoever, you`ve heard it all before and I`m not gonna change you. And I don`t care what book/author/belief system says it`s OK. But words cannot simply express how strongly I feel about this subject. I`m so[ticked] off that adults still talk about this as if it were OK that it`s the most I can do to stay online and look at today`s New Posts...
    We make a strong effort to not use foul language in front of her, as there are better ways to express thoughts. We also don`t get physical (heck, we avoid shouting) with corrections, as neither my wife or I feel that`s the way to handle things. As mentioned above - I don`t want her to see that the acceptable response to a difficult situation is to fly off the handle. Maybe I`m just sensitive to it as I struggled with some anger issues as an early teen (I think possibly due to a concussion I had, maybe it was just puberty?) and I want to help her see there are other ways to handle things.

I feel like I`m missing something else I was going to add, but I`m speed typing this before I leave work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information